Inexpensive bolt-action SHTF/HD/Hunting rifle?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by CHLChris, Aug 19, 2011.

1. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I've got an AR-15, but I really feel like I need a rifle that can take a deer in a SHTF situation, but can also be a more powerful round for neighborhood defense if I ever needed that.

I can't put more than $500 into this rifle purchase, and every dollar less than that figure could go for ammo.

Caliber: .308, 7.62x51NATO, 7.62x54R (cheapest long-range ammo)

Action: Bolt-action more accurate and least complex for SHTF maintenance.

Magazine: Detachable box would be ideal!

Sights: If it isn't scoped already, it must have iron sights. Many hunting rifles do not have iron sights.

I would love to eventually have an M1A or even an AR-10, but don't have $1200-1500. Maybe I should just get a Mosin Nagant 91/30 at $130 so I have a solid rifle now, and save up for what I really want.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I think going for a Mosin and stocking up ammunition right away is an excellent idea. Just check the Mosin carefully and you should be good to go.

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

The Savage Model 11 FCX comes with a scope mounted and bore sighted in .308 Win 4 round detachable box mag. $525 http://www.savagearms.com/

4. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Check the .308 offerings of...

Savage Edge
    Marlin XS-7
    Weatherby Vanguard
    Tikka

5. JJthebull

JJthebull New Member

U figured it out urselve. 500 wil get u mosin, 1200 rds, scope, and any other upgrades you need for the mosin. While u save for ur dream gun.

"Having the burden and responsibility of carrying a firearm is well worth my family and love ones safety. I practice for them, and a well trained and prepared man with his love ones on his mind is the most dangerous man." - JJ

6. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I'm a little unhappy with the scope options for the Mosin, though. Anybody have a good line on a SOLID mount for the Mosin platform?

7. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

The ones that look the most solid to me are the mounts that replace the rear sight with a scope mount.

I'm not sure what quality these are, but it's the general idea. http://tickbitesupply.com/mossc.html

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I bought the wife (as far as she knows :rolleyes:) a lightweight Mossberg 243 setup - About $300 invested - Very accurate setup & other calibers are of course availible :cool:
    Its not a 500 yd sniper rifle but it'll sure kill a deer (or watever)-

[​IMG]

9. warhawk77

warhawk77 New Member

I would go mosin nagant 91/30 or 44 if you can find one.

On the scope mount I was told at the local gun shop to go for the mount that swaps the rear sight mount and it was $30. Throw on a $100 scope and still have enough cash for 1400+ rounds

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

They ARE good fun guns BUT com'on-
    They are over 4 ft long & weigh almost 10lbs without ammo or scope :eek:
    SD in the house? You'll knock holes in the walls
    Bug out gun- You really want to carry that around?

11. warhawk77

warhawk77 New Member

The 91/30 is long but the 44 is 40" long so much nicer to carry.

They both are 9 pounds so yes they aren't light. Add a scope and ammo your at 10 easy.

For a house defense gun take a shotgun but if you want a 400-500 yard rifle you can't do better for the price. Also if your taking long shots guessing your setting up for a shot so weight isn't that big of a problem.

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I wouldn't want to trust ANY scope on a bug-out.

But I'd take an M44 over many for simplicity, built-in bayonet,

and overall size and trim. One tough gun.

I wouldn't want to have to fight a war with it, and yes, I

might be easily outgunned against most semis,

but it's simplicity is probably the Mosin's

biggest strength.

13. MrMosin

MrMosin New Member

As many others have said before, gotta go with the mosin! Able to take down pretty much any big game in north america, ammo is dirt cheap, iron sights, and it is competently accurate, especially for being as old a design as it is, did i mention it is capital S simple?. Weight sould not really be much of a drawback if it has the sling, just carry it over your shoulder.

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I agree pretty much the Mosin is a great simple dependable gun-
    Again the sheer size puts me off-
    BUT i've allways thought the CALIBER shuld be the major deciding factor on a Bug Out rifle (HD dont much matter)
    Afterall a mear mortal man can only tote so many rds of ammo- I figure if some of us had to play like the cast of Red Dawn wud we be able to "acquire" ammo for a Mosin at any mom 'n pop hardware store? I figure I could get 22LR, 30-30, 30'06, most likely 308 & good chance 223 :rolleyes:
    Bottom line i want (& have at the ready) a lightweight BOLT action rifle with scope AND useable iorn sights in several of the mentioned calibers :rolleyes:
    Just my 2 bits--

15. Wambli

Wambli Member

There is a BAZILLION used Savage .308 or 30-06s out there in the $2-300 range. A Nikon Prostaff scope and you are good to go under $500.

16. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

AK47 ....as reliable as a bolt action.

17. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

mosin m44 in my opinion. but i would skip the scope for shtf. mosins can use stripper clips just as fast as magazines in a bolt gun.

19. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

If you go with the Mosin, stock up on ammo cause come SHTF there won't be any Cheaper than Dirt or UPS!

.308 Win/NATO will be all over the place, and reloadable.