Inexhaustible supply of brass?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Vincine, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Inexhaustible supply of energy & brass?

What happens to all the cartridges fired in our wars? In all the past wars? There must be a pound or two of brass laying around. Is there an inexhaustible supply of brass? I'm wondering because it seems like an awful lot of energy, what with all that mining, transporting, smelting, alloying, etc., to expend for literally just one shot.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Swing on over to Fallujah on your way to Wal-Mart and pick up a couple bucketfuls for all of us. :)

I heard the brass expended in training is melted down to make new brass. I've used the ammo, and it doesn't look fresh at all to me. There are a few training areas where the brass isn't policed, if you can some how gain access to those areas, knock yourself out.

Tip: The M249 SAW puts a nice little dent in the case mouth. I would just skip those lying in a pile of links.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

US Military brass is not reloaded, but sold as surplus. Much of it DOES get melted. Some is purchased by civilian reloading firms. There was a big hoo-hah about a year ago when DOD decided it would not sell to reloaders- and then canceled that order.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

the dents come out easy when the mouth and neck are resized. long as there is enough room to get the expander balls in the mouth.

when your shooting ammo in the army they cycle out the oldest ammo in inventory. they even issue old ammo for war use. snipers in iraq using the barrets are often using surplus 50bmg from ww2.

you prolly wont be using the new production stuff less your like a seal team member or something.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

I don't know if there's enough room for an expander ball, I don't reload. I shoot a Mosin Nagant; nuff said.

But if it's a training area where the brass isn't policed, there would be plenty from M16's that wouldn't take too much work anyway.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

The problem with brass thats been on the groumd a while is they get packed with dirt and crud that tend to turn to a cement like substance. Nearly impossible to clean out.

7. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Throw it back in the smelter?

8. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Oh yeah, I think he just means it makes reloading difficult as it requires manual cleaning of the cases (and tedious task of disking into it with a pick or whatever, heh).

9. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I would humbly point out that TRAINING areas will be littered with 5.56mm BLANK cartridge cases, which cannot be reloaded with ball. Military RANGES account for brass at turn in (end of the days training, brass gets turned back to the Ammo Supply Point) And if you are found on a military RANGE scarfing up brass and perhaps the odd unfired round, you would get a chance to met these nize peebles-

mp2.jpg

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

C3 I respectfully disagree. There are many training areas that have live rounds fired and the brass is not picked up. Not all of them are like that by any means, and the ones where the brass is policed are much more common.

As far as meeting the MP's? I would highly recommend trying to ask permission first, just to avoid that little problem. Or if you have a friend in the military, they can grab a couple bags full most likely with no questions asked. I've kept some 20mm casings and cleaned them out, cut them down, and used them as shot glasses. When my CO found out, he brought me more to cut down for him.

12. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

All Lincoln cents minted between 1944 through 1946 where made from (an alloy) of melted spent military cartridge cases - rifle, pistol, and artillery.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's pretty cool.

14. Vincine

Vincine New Member

There's an ironic statement in here someplace, but I'm too tired to find it.

(The poor guy can’t get a break. Even on a penny he’s being hit with bullets.)

15. wooleybooger

wooleybooger New Member

i occasionally check out a govt auction site for auctions in my area. they always have fired brass. most comes from Lackland AFB.still the top training base for USAF recruits. often comes in 2-3k # lots. a recent listing had 2900 + lbs of 50BMG brass including pallets and drums.