Indy

Discussion in 'Indiana Gun Forum' started by steve666, Feb 21, 2012.

1. steve666

steve666 New Member

Hi from Indy. I live on the Eastside and work downtown.

2. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

I'm an old geezer who used to live in Indy. Had to move to South Carolina to get work. I lived in Indy from 1979-2007. If any noncriminals live in that city without a gun and a license to carry, they are trusting to luck every time they leave their homes. 7 times during the 28 years I lived there having a gun on my person saved my bacon.

3. fmj

fmj Active Member

We'll be down 3/17 for the 1500 gun show, hoping to bag a good deal on an AR and reloading components. Then the Supercross race later that night!

Already got the room 1/2 mile from Lucas Oil reserved and tickets in the safe.:D

4. steve666

steve666 New Member

After the 1500 check out Murphy's Steakhouse on Keystone for dinner. It's close to the Fairgrounds and has great food for a good price. You can check out their website to see the menu and get a coupon you can print out. http://murphyssteakhouse.com/
    Of course being St. Patrick's Day they'll be busy.

5. fmj

fmj Active Member

COOL BEANS! Thanks for the heads up.

Any suggestions for something good (and inexpensive) closer to downtown? The plan is to be at the show when it opens and wander around there until noon/1 o'clock. Then head downtown and check into our room @ The Westin and parking the truck for the rest of our stay. Then letting the boys swim, getting something to eat, then walking over to the stadium and the races.

6. steve666

steve666 New Member

Most of the good places downtown are not inexpensive. You might try BW3 for wings, Hard Rock Cafe, Rock Bottom Brewery, or you can always hit the food court at Circle Centre Mall.

7. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Is it true that the "Supercross" is not a standard motocross? But it's more like a "Quasi-Moto" cross?

8. fmj

fmj Active Member

LOL

pun intended i am sure.

Will be doing red bud in July...thats full on motocross!

9. truggles

truggles New Member

This really concerns me. I am originally from Decatur county but go to iupui downtown. There is a law that says that I cannot carry on campus... So I am extremely limited on when and where I am able to carry. And with other folks putting comments such as this one makes me want to demolish the no weapons on campus law.

10. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

College campus violence is becoming a serious problem. And to disarm the potential victims is stupid beyond belief. Several states have recently enacted legislation to allow permit holders to carry on campus. Indiana is pretty much favorable to gun rights, so I expect in the near future there'll be some legislation to that effect.

11. steve666

steve666 New Member

I certainly hope for an attempt, but expect that the furor raised by the various groups of idiots will prevent passage.

12. fmj

fmj Active Member

Check our state law!!

As of July 1 2011 you can carry ANYWHERE so long as you have your permit.

Only exceptions are federal buildings or a building housing a court room.

I am a college student as well and you can bet your *** my PF-9 is along for the ride....discretely!!

13. steve666

steve666 New Member

You might want to check a little closer; I know that the state fair and certain areas of airports are still prohibited, and I'll put dollars to donuts that schools are still on the list.

14. fmj

fmj Active Member

Information Maintained by the Office of Code Revision Indiana Legislative Services Agency
    IC 35-47-9
    Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses

IC 35-47-9-0.1
    Application of chapter
    Sec. 0.1. The addition of this chapter by P.L.140-1994 applies to crimes committed after June 30, 1994.
    As added by P.L.220-2011, SEC.624.

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.

As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

I'm no lawyer, but the way i read that...if you have your CCW your good to go.

15. truggles

truggles New Member

Idk. It looks kinda touchy there. It says below that that if you posses a firearm on school property that you commit a class d felony..... You can bet your *** I ain't gonna try it if I have a chance of getting charged with a class D felony. Thats some serious prison time. I will definitely look into it though.

Where do you go to school FMJ?

16. fmj

fmj Active Member

Notice it says "Exemptions from chapter"...Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:...(3) a person who: (A) may legally posses a firearm.

I my way of thinking (reading) i carry a legal lifetime ccw, therefore i am exempt from the chapter, as i may legally posses a firearm. This wording was all part of the new laws that went into effect 7/1/11.

You can err on the side of caution if you so choose. Its your choice to make and i wont argue with your choice.

I, on the other hand, choose to err on the side of caution and discretely carry my PF-9 and make damn sure i make it home to my family from class every day. Concealed is just that, what they dont know wont (unless you have a gun/other weapon and threatening harm to myself) hurt you/them.

Where i go to school is a matter of national security ;)

(not gonna advertise that on an open, public forum. When i advertised i am packing on a campus filled with uber liberal 'tards! 1 rent a cop on duty per each campus (pretty substantial square footage) does NOT leave me feeling very well protected!) ;):D

17. truggles

truggles New Member

Ok so I looked into this.....

If you notice right after it's says may legally posses a firearm it says "and" this means that you must also apply the line immediately following it. Possess the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.

I'd suggest you reconsider your choice of carrying on a campus.

18. fmj

fmj Active Member

again, i am no lawyer and it looks like you could be correct...

But i shall reference the cliche judged by 12 as carried by 6...with all the killings that happen on campuses...i think i just may err on the side of caution.