Indoor range questions

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by JayCody, Jul 12, 2014.

1. JayCody

JayCody New Member

I am considering taking a Mosin Nagant 91/30 to a local Indoor range and I am wondering if it might be too loud. I don't want to ruin the range experience for other shooters. (I have been reading and some people say they are too loud and that shooting one indoors is a bad idea.) Now, this doesn't just have to be about mosin nagant rifles, Is there a rifle/caliber you feel is too loud for a indoor range?

Would there be a chance of a Ricochet? I was reading about a few people who were shooting a mosin indoors and experienced a ricochet and now they only shoot mosins outdoors. I hope these questions don't seem too dumb but always better safe then sorry :) and all these stories on the internet have me wondering...

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i would contact the range. some indoor ranges won't even allow rifles to be shot at their ranges with some making the exception for rimfires.

3. JayCody

JayCody New Member

The range has a rifle side and a pistol side. The rifle is rated up to 375 H&H Magnum.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

cool. i would still contact them. they would still be the best source for that information.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

As said- depends on the range. Indoor range here takes major caliber rifles. The 91/30 will not be louder than a .300 Mag or a .375. You will want GOOD ear protection.

6. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

If you do this, make sure you wear BOTH ear plugs AND ear muffs too.

And they both better be new and high quality.

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

The standard 91/30 isn't as raucously loud as the carbine variants,

like the M44. I also dislike 7mm Mag and 338 Win Mag at the range.

Seems like I always get next to someone who is blazing away with

something which has a magnum with a muzzle brake. IMHO it's

kind of like dehydrated water:

What's the point?

If you want less muzzle blast get a smaller caliber.

If you want a honkin' magnum, embrace it. Why blow all that

air sideways at a range, unless you are just there to annoy

other people?

8. wknight40

wknight40 New Member

When I first got my M4orgery I took it to an indoor range a couple of times. I try and get there early before the crowds and shoot it first just so I do not bother those that get put next to me. Had on guy make a comment, not so much a complaint, about the concussion coming back from the muzzle. He was curious about the caliber I has shooting. I think I had 5.56 in it that day versus the .223 round. Now I have an outdoor range available to me so I do not take the rifle to the indoor range unless I just get too itchy and the weather is too bad for the outdoor range.

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

depends on the range. the local indoor range here is rated up to .50bmg. and not just rifles even some pistols can bark pretty loud. its no big deal just be nice about it. everyone at the range expects to hear noise. just be sure to not shoot while the lanes next to you are. try to alternate your firing. with that said if you cant shoot while hearing others shoot you may need some more practice or training....