Indoor growing on a budget

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Scratchammo, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I'm looking for a decent grow light kit that's not too pricey. I'm trying to start early this year. Any experience with these?

2. bkt

bkt New Member

A big southern-exposure window has always worked best for me. Failing that, a fluorescent full-spectrum fixture does OK. Buy a cheap fixture and the bulb and hang it with string, wire or chains.

Are you just getting your seedlings going or are you doing container gardening?

3. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Thanks for the tip. I'm just getting them going.

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I'm sure that Orangello will be able to give you some advice on this subject.

5. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Whatever you choose, do not call 911 for advice! ;)

6. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Well I went to Wally World & got a desk lamp with an aquarium growth bulb for the time being. I'll get the fluorescent fixture soon.

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

My son is a Horticulture major in college and this is exactly what he does. He has a cheap fluorescent fixture he rigged up with wire onto to a stand he made of pvc tubing. He grows hot peppers for himself and tomato plants for me that eventually get moved outside when the weather is right.

8. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Yeah, uh-huh, okay. :rolleyes:

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The best grow lights are the big metal halide lights you can get down at the police evidence auctions. :p

Seriously, for starting seedlings, get a shop light fixture at Lowes/ Home depot. Use the good plant light bulbs. You can hang from light w/ chain so that light can be raised as plants grow. Regular fluorescents are the wrong color spectrum- not enough red, plants will get REAL tall and spindly.

We did an A frame set up 4 ft long, 4 levels of lamps, for starting about 200 tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, cabbage- even used it for early start on squash, zucchini, cantaloupe. Used shiny aluminum foil hanging on outside to reflect light back.

Neighbors thought I had a grow operation going.

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Well, that's what he tells me, anyway. :D

11. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Ignorance is bliss ;)

College kid, Horticulture, grow lights ... just saying :cool:

:p

12. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

I think you want the "420" friendly lights......consumer reports say that they last a long time, use less energy and are "eco-friendly".

13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Contact a 'grow' store. For really effective growing of vegies, will need a bunch of stuff that is not very economical unless you are selling your vegies.

Metal hallide, HP sodium, fluorescents all come into play. For seedlings and cuttings, fluorescent 24 hrs. Mid size, a combo of MH and HPS for 24 hrs. Once the plants are large enough for flowering, then again a combo of spectrums for no more than 12 hrs on. In order for the plants to get an equal array of light, then you need a sun circle or another mechanical system for slowly rotating or moving the lights.

Keep in mind that 1000 watt bulbs with ballasts and all will use a bunch of electricity. The shiny stuff that C3 mentioned is mylar. You can also buy boxes and other set-ups that will contain the light and keep out the light. The last thing you want is to mess up the lighting and turn all of your vegies into males where they don't produce.

Check out places like "The Huge Tomato" or other grow shops out there. Probably web sites that can help.

14. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

Skullcrusher

I saw a post earlier complaining about googling everything.......google isn't necessary when Skullcrusher is around. His last post proves it. Much respect Skull and I mean that. You are the "Encyclopedia Brown" of this forum. If you don't know who he is .....google it.:)