Indiana gun laws

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by redneckdaddy, Sep 9, 2012.

1. redneckdaddy

redneckdaddy New Member

Is it legal to transport a handgun from the gun shop that you buy it from or to the range without any license? What's a firearms owners license and how do you get one and if I get a ccl will that be all I will need?

2. fmj

fmj Active Member

3. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Yes its legal to do so, just unload it and transport it in a case. You don't need a license to own a firearm in Indiana, I own plenty of firearms and have no such license. I do have a handgun permit for carrying but I had my handguns before the license.

4. redneckdaddy

redneckdaddy New Member

Why does it say in that link that you can only carry a firearm in an automobile with a indiana handgun permit if you do not need one?

5. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

Probably means loaded.

6. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Carrying a firearm in a vehicle is different than transporting it home from a gunstore or to/from a range.

I carry, on my hip, a loaded and cocked pistol in my truck everyday but I have a handgun permit which allows me to do so. Indiana State Police and lawmakers understand that some people may have to drive thier weapons to a range to shoot provided they don't have the safe means to shoot at home.

To transport it without a permit you should unload it and put the ammo and weapon in seperate spots in the car. It has to be inaccessible to you while driving.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  7. redneckdaddy

redneckdaddy New Member

So is a ccl going to let me keep a loaded gun on me and in my truck too? Is that a ccl or a firearms carry permit. Is there two different permits and if so what do they permit you to do? Loaded with one chambered or unloaded?

8. fmj

fmj Active Member

ccl is CONCEALED CARRY LICENSE.

With the CCL or CCW (Concealed carry WEAPON) you can carry vitually ANYWHERE in the state. No schools or building housing courtrooms...all else is fair game.

The Hunting permit or "handgun license" is for hunting only. You MUST open carry and carry only whilst in the field. its for hunting purposes but you CAN carry "cocked and locked" as it were.

Also, the information on the interwebz...the links i posted...may be dated as i stated before, as of 7/2011 some MAJOR changes took place regarding carry law here.

9. pistolpacker

pistolpacker New Member

Actually, Indiana does NOT issue a "concealed carry permit". They issue a " LICENSE TO CARRY HANDGUN". There is no distinction between open or concealed in Indiana. Either one is legal if you have the "license".

As far as transport is concerned, the weapon must be kept in the back of the vehicle. Ammo must be kept in another location in the vehicle but not accessible from the drivers seat

10. redneckdaddy

redneckdaddy New Member

So you are telling me as long as you are in you automobile you cannot have access to it at all? Even with a ccl witch indiana does issue one of my buddies just got his.

11. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

No, with an Indiana "license to carry handgun" permit it can be anywhere in your vehicle, including on your hip and loaded.

Without the permit weapon must be unloaded and transported seperate from the ammo, both weapon and ammo must not be accessible from the drivers seat while operating the vehicle.

12. redneckdaddy

redneckdaddy New Member

Sorry I take that back its a license to carry permit that he has. But still with that do u have to have it out of your reach and unloaded in vehicle?

13. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

No, with the permit its legal to have it on your hip or in the center console, under your leg or wherever else you want.

14. pistolpacker

pistolpacker New Member

Here's section 1 of the state statue. Talks about vehicles also in its summary

35-47-2-1 Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.
    (b) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 3-7-13-5 or IC 33-28-4-8, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body in the person's dwelling or on the person's property or fixed place of business.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.326-1987, SEC.1; P.L.195-2003, SEC.6; P.L.98-2004, SEC.155.

15. redneckdaddy

redneckdaddy New Member

Ok that is a lot of info. I was under the impression that if I was pulled over with it in my vehicle without a permit even if it is unloaded and out of my reach that I would be breaking the law and could lose the weapon and maybe serve time. This summed up a lot for me and I'm still gonna get the ccl. Just wanting to make sure before I get pulled over with it out of my reach. Thanks all!

16. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

It would be in your best interest to get it, that way your bases are covered.

Another tip: Enform police officers you have it if pulled over, you're not legally obligated to but in my experiences if you show the officer you care for his safety and are willing to cooperate it'll most likely enfluence his decision on whether to give you a ticket or send you on your merry way.

What part of Indiana are you from?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  17. luckey37

luckey37 New Member

Spend the extra few bucks for the lifetime license. It's the same process but one and done!!

18. redneckdaddy

redneckdaddy New Member

Southern Indiana Vanderburgh,Warrick

19. redneckdaddy

redneckdaddy New Member

Yea that's my plan. Plus you never know when they are gonna do away with it.

20. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Yea you have to go with lifetime. Me and ZG bought the lifetime for $136 each in Northwest Indiana.