In your opinion what is the best deer rifle?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by dsmith84, Jul 29, 2009.

1. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

In your opinion what is the best deer rifle?

2. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Depends on several factors not the least of which is the terrain and what part of the country you hunt in! Where I live a scoped handgun, 12 ga, .50 cal. muzzleloader or 30-30 work just fine - but I doubt they would be good choices in the midWestern states where shots can exceed 200 yds....

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

It all depends on if you're going for a face shot. ;)

4. ACES 6

ACES 6 New Member

The 30.06 has a great impact and the .270 will fly the straightest. Therefore, I use a Henry Big Boy .44 - because I like it. ;)

5. 753X0

753X0 New Member

+1, if you are planning on hunting where ranges exceed 150-200 yds consider Aces post also.

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

BTW, my post was in jest. We had a troll here a while back who said he wanted to shoot deer in the face, so I was trying to be funny. :eek:

7. hogger129

hogger129 New Member

I use a semi-auto Ruger 30.06. A couple of friends of mine have 7MM's.

8. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

I live in southeast georgia. so i'll be hunting in deep forests or swampy forests and i'll be in a tree stand or on foot i think its legal to use anything bigger than a .22 here

9. layton

layton New Member

As for the best rifle, well I have killed deer with all the I have except the 22 rifle,but I am partial to my 308 lever action and will use that if I have a choice.

Layton

10. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

No Such Thing!

No offense, but it's a badly formed question.

In thick woods I would take my 30-30, in the open plains and badlands I would take my .270.

BUT, that depends on the shooter. I personally won't take a shot over 350 yards (because of my own shooting abilities, and belief in taking humane shots).

On the other-hand, a 100gr. .243 has more energy at 500yds. than a 150gr. .270 and it's a flatter shooter.

So it all depends on the situation you're talking about.

One more thought...If the question was worded, "If you could only have one deer riffle for the rest of your life, what would it be?"

I would say a .270 It shoots flatter than a .30-06 and has more knock down than a varmint riffle. It is very accurate at any range, provided that you have the proper sites for that situation and it's sited in; and it doesn't have so much recoil that you can't shoot it all day. But again, it depends on what you're shooting that day.

Just my $200.00 worth (2 cents worth, adjusted for the inflation that the Big-O is going to cause).

11. Hawg

Hawg New Member

30-06 is the best all around cartridge, especially if you hand load.

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

one that shoot boolits.

13. County Boy

County Boy New Member

I hunt with a bolt action 30-06 in the field, When we go (heater hunting), riding the endless woods roads I take my rifle for distance but have my .44 sitting on my lap for closer shots, partridge season is also open so we also carry shotguns for the birds while we ride. never hurts to have plenty of weapons to pick from.

14. BrinleeRanchHunts

BrinleeRanchHunts New Member

Where we hunt in west Texas you have to look at bringing the longer range type deer calibers, 25-06 up to the 300 magnums. Shots are typically from 100-200yds but opportunities may present up to 400yds+. Most of our hunters are not comfortable shooting at the extreme ranges though. My personal favorite has to be the 270 WSM in a Model 70 action...great ballistics and has plenty of knock-down power for the longer range shots.

15. R-BOLT

R-BOLT New Member

The one in my hand! Not much that will go bang, is not good for killing deer. Just pick a legal caliber for your hunting area and enjoy. Just have to match your hunting style to the area and what you have to shoot. We are smarter than the deer, in the war, not always the battle though!

16. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

In your opinion what's the best automobile? :D

17. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Land Rover Series II, Land Cruiser FJ-40, Jeep CJ7!

30-06 as the best mid range caliber for deer in most terrain. Except in Texas where shots have to be made from across the State :D!!

18. quelebu

quelebu New Member

As the question is rifle and not specifically calibre, I 'd go for the remington model seven. Here in the Pyrenees it's mostly dense woodland and the little model seven is light enough to carry all day, quick to point, doesn't get snagged up too much on branches, suits my stature (I'm 5'7") and is comfortable to shoot. Besides that, it's the only rifle I own!!!

It's 7mm08 for the record.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  19. tookalisten

tookalisten New Member

Interesting question and responses. For me, it truly depends on my "mood" and where I am hunting. The 30-06 is my first choice for large bean fields, a .243 when I hunt small fields/edge of woods, and a Marlin lever .32 Win Sp if I am stalking in the woods.
    Of course, my daughter out-shoots me with her .270. That Marlin XL7 is a great gun for the price.

So, the right answer is what you can shoot and feel comfortable with.

20. fragout

fragout New Member

In my opinion......either one of these.......
    [​IMG]

FTR...... My favorite most likely wont be the next guy's, but the best rifle for me is the M14/M1A, sporting 18.5in bbls.

What's your best deer rifle?