In the summer in florida

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by morrow12tech, Dec 20, 2011.

1. morrow12tech

morrow12tech New Member

Is there anyone form Florida on here and have there ccw and they carry in the heat of summer what gun do you carry and where

2. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I was born down there and lived for 40 years there around collier county. Worked in custom homes. I had a taurus model 85 that was in my pocket between me and my tool pouch for many years till I started running work. Carried it down there for right at 10 years. 10 more up here. No problems at all. I IWB when away from work But just over my front pocket so things did not move or change much. I know some say even SS rust on them. I used break free clp from in the mid 70's and hunted with ole cheap blued steel fireams and just never had rust issues. I now carry Kahrs CM9 or CW9 still pocket or straight up IWB. Even a KT pf-9 for a couple years with good results. Allways worked hard lots of climbing and just long sweaty days down there and could never find a way to carry a larger and heavier handgun so practice more with what I did CC with.

3. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

That's why the Ruger LCP is so popular down here. It fits easily into the cargo pocket of your shorts and you can almost forget it's even there. I also have a inside the waistband holster for my Beretta 84 that I wear under my un-tucked shirt at about the 5 o'clock position sometimes, but the hot sweaty nature of the weather here in Florida doesn't make it fun to carry.

4. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I now live in Florida for the past twenty years. We have what is known as
    the CWFL (Concealed Weapon or Firearm License), which I carry on
    me with my S&W 457 or Ruger LCP 380, both of which I carry in a Remora
    holster, which enables me with tee-shirt and shorts to jump around without
    weapon moving from its intended position.

Attached Files:

5. WCS55

WCS55 New Member

I carry an LC9 in a desantis nemesis. A little big for jeans --- but let's be honest u aren't going to wear those in the summer anyway. It fits great in cargo shorts - which is what I wear 3 out of 4 seasons in FL

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Depending on what I have planned. I have shoulder, IWB, SOB, boot, and cross draw. My carry firearms vary also from full sized 1911's to LCP.

When I figured that a full sized 1911 would not work with the Speedo's (not enuff room), I got smart and started to use variations.

7. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Don't live in Florida, but it gets pretty hot & humid here in east Texas also. I carry OWB with a T-Shirt between me & the pistol/holster & a blousey untucked shirt as a cover. Oddly enough, the T-shirt does not add to the discomfort from heat.

Pistol, holster gets soaked with sweat, but when I get inside out of the heat, I wipe it down with a silicon cloth. Also when I clean & lube, I use Finish Line Dry Lube inside & out. When reassembled, I wipe the excess off the outside, but it leaves a little bit of a protective film. It's designed to protect bicycle chains from grime, water & rust & it works real well for pistols too.

I'm carrying even when doing yard work & no rust so far.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I live in Florida and I carry a full size 1911,IWB, year round. All it requires is good leather and a good belt. I cover with a print or solid color tee shirt or a square cut button-up shirt.

9. armed1212

armed1212 New Member

Lcp all day, she's my buddy you know "where ever I go she goes" fits anywhere. My lcp has the lil belt clip so it on any clothing. It's a great gun for those beach or pool days
    Or just running out the house for a minute. The bg380 and p238 are also good carry guns for fl people. Wife carries p238 with out a problem but it's still heavyer then lcp. Any will do

10. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I'm not in Florida, but I do spend a great deal of time in shorts and a t-shirt...and am often carrying in that attire. I carry a Kel-Tec PF9 in the summer. It's an ugly, cheap feeling micro 9mm that just plain works. No frills. I can carry in under the wasteline in a belly band or in a Desantis pocket holster if I'm wearing pretty baggy shorts.

There are plenty of other good 380 and 9mm micros. I decided 9mm was the smallest I wanted to go, and the 'cheap SOB' in me likes that it's considerably more powerful and affordable than 380acp. But a lot of experienced shooters have gone with the 380 and I might too if I were subjected to Florida's humidity. Look into single-stacked micro 380/9mm from Kel-Tec, Ruger, Kahr, and Walther...and S&W and Sig each make nice little 380s as well. And if you want greater capacity (doublestack), the size of the Ruger SR9c is tough to beat.

11. phburks

phburks New Member

I live in Central Florida and I carry a Taurus 605 .357 magnum revolver. It conceals so well IWB that I can wear almost anything. Even with a tight-fitting T-shirt on its very hard to tell I'm carrying.

ForumRunner_20111220_180154.jpg

12. SIGnature

SIGnature New Member

I live in South Florida ... I carry a S&W M&P 40c in a Rhino OWB holster. I wear shorts and T-Shirt with that rig A LOT and never had a problem.

13. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Just something cool to share.

downloadfile-14.jpeg

14. pedalmasher

pedalmasher New Member

I have a choice depending on dress, etc. I can carry my Kel-Tec P-32, but I no longer have any faith in that piece of poorly made junk which has been sitting at the factory awaiting repairs for two weeks after owning it for one week and one range appearance, and now will have nothing done at least until late January in that Kel-Tec apparently believes that after working the challenging hours of 9-3 daily, they need three weeks off for xmas. Then there is my LCP with Crimson Trace which always works flawlessly at the range. One more increment up is my Kahr PC9 which I love, and is a very recent acquisition which has put 500 flawless rounds through it since its recent purchase, and then finally my favorite if dressed appropriately, my Kimber Ultra Raptor II.

15. BlackWidow

BlackWidow New Member

I'm in FL and carry a little .22 Mag Black Widow in a soft pocket holster. No rust so far on the stainless finish.

16. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

pedalmasher Lucky you did not get one of the rugers that had problems or it would be trash too I guess. Kahr built and sold more firearms that ruger last year . Concedering they have 1/3rd the line up that would say some pistol get out the door with problems more often than ruger.

17. pedalmasher

pedalmasher New Member

Hardluk1, as I ponder the websites, there is not a gun that does not have its share of horror stories. Even my very expensive Kimber Raptor has had issues with some users. Above, I alluded to my PC9 and I meant PM9. Problems with anything Kel-Tec is not surprising after briefly having my P-32 which now lives at the factory for some indeterminate amount of time to simply replace the magazine release spring. I'll never even look at one of their products again, but then again the old adage of "You get what you pay for" rings true again.

18. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

I live in South Carolina, and it gets over 100 degrees in the summer here, too. When I have to wear light clothes, I carry a Para ordnance Warthog, a .45 ACP with 3" barrel, double-stacked magazine with 10+1 capacity. Overall length 6.5", height 4.5". I carry it in an Uncle Mike size 16 belt holster, and wear a loose T-shirt over it, long enough to cover it. If I can wear a longer, lightweight button shirt, I carry a Taurus PT-940, a 10+1 .40 S&W with 3.875 barrel. Overall length 7", height 5". The relatively short double-stacked grip makes it easy to conceal. Usually a long grip (height of gun over 5"), regardless of barrel length, will be what causes a gun to "print", or to have its shape show though a shirt. Sometime I carry a Charter Arms Bulldog, a .44 Special revolver with 2.5" barrel, 7.2" long and 5.25" tall, in a pocket holster.

19. WilliamTF

WilliamTF New Member

I carry a Kahr CW9 all summer,it gets hot here in the summer too. I carry in a cheap Galco iwb. With a tee shirt over it no problems with the gun,corrosion,holster or printing (were open carry anyway)

20. sharpshot

sharpshot New Member

I do live in Florida, Ocala to be specific, and the summer heat here is rather brutal sometimes. I never fail to carry a firearm. My EDC is usually a Ruger SR9C in an Uncle Mikes #15 IWB holster. I am a big guy, (375 lbs) so I generally wear a tee shirt tucked in then an over shirt untucked for concealment. I carry at the 3 to 4 o'clock position. I can easily conceal the Ruger with the 17 round magazine and have never been outed. When the holster gets wet from sweat and or rain, I always dry it out and never let the gun set in a wet holster. This set up works great with my CZ 2075 Rami or my Springfield EMP. It has taken a while to find a system that is both comfortable and easily concealable. If I carry a full frame, I use an OWB Galco holster with a thick duty belt that keeps the firearm close to the body.
    This is what works for me. There are several combinations available and only through trial and error will find the one that works for you. Don't get discouraged and decide not to carry. That just might be the day you need to defend yourself or a loved one and you are not prepared.
    Just a thought.

Be well.

Considering the consequences is never wasted time.