in the side out the butt.

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by JonM, Dec 7, 2010.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

well i bummed an aircard off a bud of mine so i got some interweb out here in the middle of nowhere. shot a nice doe today 308win 165grn speer soft point 2600fps. full broadside shot. bullet went in the ribs and lodged just under the skin on the hind quarter. full expansion 100% weight retention perfect mushroom. it ran about 50 yards before falling down. there was lots of lung tissue on the spot it was shot.

anyone heard of this with a 308??

2. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

my friend did the same thing,through the lungs,bullet lodged in the hide on the other side,it was a 75 yard shot but it was a .270.Seems like that 308 would have went right through unless it was a huge deer and the shot was a long one.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

88 yards from the blood spoor where it was shot to where i was holed up. i would think it woulda been a through and through. i was sitting there thinking yeah those three doe are lined up i can get all three one shot... but i waited till i had a broadside and the others out of the way.

tomorrow ill be using my 458 socom. i KNOW that one shouldnt have any butt dart issues.

just irks me to lose that much meat. first time in forever i used a rifle other than a .45cal

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  4. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I actually let him shoot it,he was asleep on the blind floor and I woke him up and told him "deer".I was using my .444 and I think I would have made a through shot with that,or sent my friend through the roof out of a sound sleep.