In The Market For A New AR-15 A2

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Doc3402, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I've gone the build route and I don't want to go that way again, and I've gone the M4 route, so I don't need one of those. What I want now is a factory built AR-15 in the A2 configuration. My vision and arthritis caused some problems for me in my building efforts, so I'm ruling that option out. I wasn't happy with the process or the finished product.

So, any suggestions? I see Stag Arms has the Model 4, but that is the only one I was able to find. If you know of other companies making a true A2 version I would really appreciate a heads up on them. Yes, I will consider buying a complete upper and a complete lower, but I just can't see close in well enough to build from scratch.

Thanks for your help.

2. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Thanks, JTJ. I'm not that familiar with the brand. Can you tell me anything about them? It just so happens I have a DPMS dealer a couple miles away. Hopefully they will have one in stock I can look at.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

And the eternal question of what are you expecting it to do for you??

The best accuracy A2 out there factory production is the rock river match A2. Its a freekin tack driver and the sights track true. Mine only needed to come down 2 clicks on the front sight post to zero. They are windage trued at the factory. On a good day I can hit half moa groups at 300yds open sights bad day I keep it right at moa.

If your just wanting a go to war

Next step down I would get a bcm A4 upper and bcm bcg and just attach a rra match carry handle.

If you want it to go bang you could get a dpms but expect to have to disassemble the thing to get it built right. I've done more than a few rebuilds for friends on dpms guns. While they function, the slapshod build quality you tend to end up needing to redo it from scratch at some part of a higher round count. Not always true but it happens enough to be worthy of mention.

I'm not sure if psa offers a A2/

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Page 32 on Centerfire systems flyer . $299 not a complete kit but it will get you closer to what you want I think. Looks like you will need a rifle length barrel and a Stripped lower and a few other small parts, whats confusing in this kit is it says handguard and buttplate may be cracked yet it says triangular handguard not included. I would make a phone call before purchasing to find out what handguard your really getting . But over all its not a terrible deal

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  5. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

JonM. I just want to play. There is a nostalgia angle to it, but no serious use is intended. I believe it would also be something my daughter would enjoy shooting. I don't mind paying more for something that will provide more fun than frustration, so your comments are appreciated.

Just out of curiosity, how would you rate the Stag vs the DPMS assuming both were purchased as complete firearms?

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

Stag is a good product definately head and shoulders better than dpms and only a scootch behind bcm. If they offer a A2 its a great one to go with

7. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

purehavoc, I appreciate the info, but I'm just not equipped to do a build. My close up vision for that kind of detail work is shot. I do thank you for the reply, but I just can't do it right now. Maybe after I get my cataracts corrected.

8. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Then Stag is probably the way I will go. They are slightly more expensive, but I've always believed that as a rule you get what you pay for. Thanks for the advice.

9. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

No problem , Jon is right I would go Stag before DPMS .

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

As much bad as I hear or read about DPMS mine works even with steel. I dont have a huge round count but at least a few thousand with about 300 steel. It has never malfunctioned. I just dont care for the AR15 that much. Prefer my bolts and my Mini better. I think it is mostly the pistol grip stock I dont care for. I am too much of a traditionalist although I dont mind synthetics. My wife likes it though along with her 15-22 because they fit her and she enjoys shooting them.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  11. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

JTJ, I've got a mini14 that I have yet to shoot. I've had it for about a month now, but life keeps conspiring against me. I'm planning to put the dogs in the slammer next Tuesday and head to the range if the weather cooperates. I've got the mini, a Sig 938, and a Ruger LC9 that have yet to be fired. I just snatched them up because I could find them. Certain guns are still rare around here, and the Sig and the mini are two of them.