in the market for a new 22 rifle: Sig 522? suggestions?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by rice923, Jun 19, 2011.

1. rice923

rice923 New Member

I've been reading around lately about rifles, and I came across the Sig Sauer 522. It fits many of the ideal qualities that I want in a new 22 rifle, those qualities being (in this order):

1. Cheap
    2. Cheap ammunition
    3. AccurateReliable/Durable
    4. Reliable/Durable
    5. Ease of Maintenance
    6. Aesthetically Appealing

I based most of these judgments from the Sig Sauer 522 review by Nutnfancy on Youtube.

With that being said, I noticed that the review was from early 2010. This leads me to believe that better models have been released since. Are there other tactical "looking" rifles that would fit these criteria?

This will be my first time purchasing and owning a firearm. I have shot before, and the "fun" factor of a 22 rifle appeals to me more than a pistol.

2. rice923

rice923 New Member

And while I'm here, I wanted to know what everyone's viewpoint is about using a 22LR for mild home security purposes. I live in a good neighborhood with problems few and far apart.

3. rachilders

rachilders New Member

There actually are quite a few rifles that fall in the guidelines you mention, especially if you are looking for something that has the "black rifle" look that's now popular. Colt and S&W have 22's based on the AR-15/M4 platform and Ruger has a modified 10/22 that is essentially a 10/22 that looks like an AR. There are several others out there as well. I have the S&W 15-22 and love it. Shop around and I'm sure you'll find exactly what you're looking for. As for price, if you want something less "tactical" looking but still fills the bill and is inexpensive - cheap compared to tactical style rifles - look at a regular Ruger 10/22 or several of the other semi-auto's available almost anywhere that sells rifles. Many can be had for $200 or less.

As for using a .22 for home protection, I'm one of those folks who believe a well placed shot with a .22 is a million times better than a miss with a .45, .308 or a shotgun. Is it my first choice as a home defense round... no. That would be a shotgun if it were my decision. OTOH, if it's all you have, you are proficient with it and are willing to use it if necessary, a .22 will stop (or at least make 'em think twice) an intruder and there are people killed by .22 rounds every year so it can get the job done if necessary.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  4. rice923

rice923 New Member

Right now I found the Sig 522 with a 5x scope for $399. I'll check out the other rifles you mentioned, but I'm not sure where to start looking. The only places I've had a chance to search are the sites that sponsor some of the forums (I.E. top gun supply). Where can you find these rifles that can be had for less than $200? That sounds extremely appealing at the moment.

I much prefer the pistol grip style rifles for comfort and posture, as well as aesthetics.

My goal for home protection is definitely not to deliver a fatal shot, but more to fend a potential threat away. From the sounds of it, a 22 can accomplish that.

5. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I have an S&W M&P AR15-22. I highly recommend it. More fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Although the .22 is not my choice for home defense, what it lacks in power, in can partially make up in ability to place more follow up shots faster than just about any other platform. However, I do keep more .22 ammo than everything else combined just in case SHTF.

6. OC357

OC357 New Member

For a .22 rifle try a Ruger 10/22. Try one if you can. You might like it.

Not for home protection though. I believe you need a handgun for that and everyone has their own favorites. There are some threads on here about that.

OC

7. rice923

rice923 New Member

So I recently looked at the SW MP15-22. It is indeed very appealing along with the Sig 522. I'm about to watch the Nutnfancy review on that one too, but does anyone have any personal experience with both? I've heard about the Sig 522's problem with the e-clip/bolt issue. Are there any standout issues with the SW MP15-22?

I'll start calling around to local stores/ranges to see if I can get any hand-on time with either of these.

As for the Ruger 10/22, I really would like to have a pistol grip. I failed to find the pistol grip version mentioned above.

8. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Look at a Henry lever. If a semi auto is what you want a Marlin model 60 is the best bang for the buck. It's more accurate than the Ruger, easier to load and holds more. Cheaper too.

9. ScottA

The only issue to note with the S&W was the earliest models had an issue with a misaligned extractor which required an adjustment by the factory or a gunsmith in some cases. That was corrected by the second production run (which is mine).

Other than being a little finicky about ammo (which .22 isn't), I have no issues with it at all.

10. rachilders

rachilders New Member

Since you live in California (and S.F.in particular), it's difficult to suggest a particular place to check out rifles. Most areas have sporting goods stores - Academy is the closest one to me - that sell guns and even most Wal-Marts sells rifles. There are also your local gun shops to see what's for sale, but location may be a problem for you. You can also check the different manufacturers web sites for a selection and a MSRP. Just remember, the list price is usually more, often considerably more, than most guns can actually be purchased for. My M&P sells for $440 at the Academy near me and the Ruger 10/22's for $200-$300 or so depending on the particular version. They also sell other brands, with most being under $250.

As for my S&W, I've had it for almost 2 years and have never had a problem. FWIW, I got it mainly because I have kids of different sizes so it can become difficult (and expensive) buying several guns to fit everyone. With it's adjustable stock and relatively small size, I found the M&P's AR platform makes it an ideal family gun since it can be adjusted to fit anyone from my 12 y/o to my wife or me. Also, as the kids get bigger, they can adjust the gun to fit them as they grow. It's nice to know the gun you learned to shoot at 10 will still fit you when you are 20, 30 or as long as you have it.

11. rice923

rice923 New Member

After reading everyone's input, I stumbled across a carbine conversion kit for a Beretta Neos 22 that my brother already owns. It basically turns the handgun into a rifle. Has anyone ever tried this kit or hear anything about it? Its high price is turning me off at the moment (since it's just a kit and not the actual firearm), but it looks like an interesting item.

rachilders: your comment about the rifle fitting almost everyone around me is a very appealing attribute. So far, I only see the SW MP15-22 and Sig 522 with the adjustable stock. I've found a store in Vacaville, CA that has both, so maybe I'll go check it out sometime in person (if they allow that by any means).

ScottA: I'm assuming that any NEW SW MP15-22 I purchase today would not have that defect, correct? I plan on getting new if possible. I'm not taking a chance on purchasing used in case there are problems like these.

While I'm at it, do you guys have a recommended place to purchase ammunition online?

12. ScottA

Yes, that problem has long since been corrected.

Wal Mart

13. Sonnypie

Sonnypie New Member

In the market? For a .22?

OK.... Well the market is not a very likely place to find firearms.
    Chicken grenades, lettuce or cabbage bombs, maybe even banana boomarangs. :p

Something I did with my son's one year (In the 1980's) was to take them to an indoor range that had guns you could borrow to shoot at the range, just buy their ammo.
    Reason was the elder Son wanted a .44 magnum for Christmas. I wanted to be sure it was what he wanted, so going and shooting one was a great way to decide. We had a ball!

So maybe if you check into indoor ranges, you can find one where you can try out various pop-sticks and then decide.

Here is one candy store you can drool over in the meantime. <Click that<

[ame="http://www.google.com/search?q=Ruger+10%2F22+tachtical&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=cmB&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&sa=X&ei=czABTtf6PPTSiALw_aGlCA&ved=0CCIQvwUoAQ&q=Ruger+10/22+tactical&spell=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=905e9081899b75b1&biw=1152&bih=741"]Don't forget to take a look at Ruger 10/22's.[/ame] They have a HUGE aftermarket modification base.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  14. rice923

rice923 New Member

Thank you Sunnypie, I am indeed drooling all over that page full of 22s at the moment.

And then I stumbled across one of their front page articles that says the Beretta Neos 22 has a recall... great

edit: looking at the link to Cabela's ruger 10/22 accessories, I came across this
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...sories/_/N-1102328&WTz_l=Unknown;cat104815080

Is this a conversion kit to allow the ruger 10/22 to function with a pistol grip and give it a tactical make over? If so, this puts the ruger 10/22 higher on my list of potential purchases. Also, please correct my terminology if I'm wrong; I'm not too familiar with the technical terms.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  15. Sonnypie

Sonnypie New Member

Wouldn't it be fun to actually build your own based on a 10/22 base?
    You could get the parts that suit what you want and build your style right out of the gate. :)

Oh and as for a Home Defense gun. I know I could easily put a lot of rounds on target with any one of my 22's, and I know damn well they will definitely stop someone.
    But my "house gun" is a 12 gauge with a laser.
    However, for a survival weapon, I'll take a .22LR and a bulk pack of ammo as my first choice.
    Have fun! .22's are a ton of fun when you want to go shooting.

16. ScottA

Before you go sink your money into a 10/22 conversion kit, go find a true AR platform and pull the pins and separate the upper from the lower. You will very quickly see the genius of Stoner's design. It is by far the easiest rifle design to clean, maintain, and modify.

17. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I have the S&W MP 15-22, the issue I had was firing Remington Bulk ammo and the extractor came apart (My fault, not the weapon). I re-assembled it and started firing .22LR Blazer CCI 40 gr. ammo and no FTF's after firing over 8000 rounds (Comes to 500 rounds per visit) (The wifes fault, she got me annual pass as an anniversary present at the local outdoor range for a year). I also have the Ruger SR-22 tactical has the pistol grip. No issues, loves Federal and Blazer. The average pricing for the SR-22 is around $500 and the MP 15-22 from $400 on up.

I almost purchased the Sig 522 with folding stock and had a extra barrel with a 1-25 round magazine and a hard case for $389.00 at Sportsman's Warehouse. I did the serach mode for additional mags on the internet - nothing at that time. I purchased without the wife's permission the Ruger SR-22, she was mad until she fired it. :D

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  18. rice923

rice923 New Member

I actually made my way down to a LGD today and had a bit of hands-on time with the SW MP15-22. It looks and feels really good in hand, but this is all meaningless since I didn't actually get to shoot it.

Anyhow, I've looked around at some of the Ruger 10/22 accessories, and the tactical conversion kits (IE the archangel kit) are very appealing at the moment. I also called another LGD and they have a used 10/22 for sale at under $200. Depending on the condition of the used 10/22, how much should I be looking at paying for it? More importantly, what should I be looking for when purchasing a used LR?

19. Sonnypie

Sonnypie New Member

I Googled: Ruger 10 22 price.
    Here's one thing I got.

I don't think I could spend enough time on what to look for. And then it would be a miss.
    If you buy new, you would have warranty time. And you might even keep track of the rounds (or bricks/boxes) of ammo put through your firearm.

$200 for used sounds like a rip-off. YMMV

20. rice923

rice923 New Member

I'll go pay a visit to the store and take a look at the used 10/22. I do like the peace of mind with a new warranty. I'll see if I can haggle the price down since it's a mom'n'pop antique store.

Thanks for all the helpful input from everyone thus far!

edit: Just curious about the name of the Ruger 10/22. Does the 10 stand for the magazine capacity?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011