In the hole

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by AgentTikki, Jan 29, 2014.

1. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

So a while back, my friend was using that cheap russian steel case ammo. Long story short, a case got stuck in it.

We tried a wooden dowel and now the dowel's stuck in the barrel. the end coming out of the muzzle has broken off and we cannot remove it anymore.

We tried clamping down with a with adjustible jaw pliers and pulling the stuck case out, only thing we accomplished is tearing off the rim.

Now we have a torn case, a wooden dowel stuck in the barrel and a sad sad friend with his only rifle out of commission.

I'm leaning toward using a torch and heating up the barrel extension and then tapping the dowel out with a brass rod that I have.

Anyone have any ideas on how to remove the case and dowel?

2. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

Remove handguard, and D ring. Separate barrel from receiver. Submerge barrel chamber end in boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes.....tap out steel case. Don't shoot crap ammo anymore....have a nice day:D

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

And the dowel? I'm thinking water would cause the wood to swell making it even harder to remove.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

Don't boil your gun!! It can easily damage the metal.

Take a cleaning rod go in from the chamber pound the dowl out shouldn't take much.

Order a stuck shell extractor.

A lot of those steel cases are lacquer coated so it builds up on non chrome chambers. Denatured alcohol melts lacquer instantly pour some in both ends case might pop out.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

Get a stouter, preferably brass, rod to clear her out.

I have heard of guys "prepping" their AR's for steel-cased fodder by putting a copper/brass shotgun bore brush in a drill to clean/buff their chamber area where the case would sit. I have not tried that.

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Any way to get a long thin screw started in the dowel, then pull it out? Of course it'd have to go in straight so not to scratch the bore.

Man this sounds like something I'd screw up! :D

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

That just removes the lacquer build up and not good to do a lot.

Don't shoot steel case in a non-chrome chamber.

If you need a bigger section of dowel to grip remove the muzzle device if it has one. Be careful not to crush the wood...

Hindsight section: don't pound on full length dowels. If light taps don't remove obstructions don't pound on em. The times I've used dowels I use a short section of dowel and drop it down the barrel then use a dowel to pound.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  8. orangello

orangello New Member

"hot dog in a hallway" kinda thing, I spose.

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

For the dowel, a brass rod and bigger hammer. For the case, you can actually put the barrel in the freezer. the shell should contract more in the cold. Then use some pentrating oil and a .223 broken shell extraction tool from Brownells

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

Yup. Can lead to worse issues if overdone. Which is easy to do with power tools.

11. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, but that brocken shell extractor looks it wouldn't be useful when there's a dowel in the barrel.

The freezer sounds like a good suggestion, than in conjuction with alcohol might get that bad boy out.

I'm kinda worried about the dowel its stuck in there real good. Might just bake it for a few hours and hopefull tap it out if its stuck.

The barrel is a 14.5" sabre defense chromelined. Its got over 5k round through it so its probably due for a replacement. If worse come to worse we just might toss the barrel.

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Those Sabre Defese barrels were supposed to be Chome Moly Vanadium with chrome lining. They should have a 20,000 round life span.

Teh shell exractor works from the chamber/ breech end. So if the rod is in the barrel and not in the shell itself it should work.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

Make sure its denatured not the same as rubbing/isopropyl.

Don't bake it. Adding heat is an extreme last resort and prolly won't work.

Pic of the stuck shell would help me make further suggestions

14. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Don't get too creative. Small steps. Spray some Break Free into the barrel, let it soak for a few hours, then tap tap on a (coated) steel rod.

15. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

+1 on Mercator's lube idea, then take a 2 1/2 - 3" stainless steel screw, thick enough to engage the edge of the primer hole, run it in no deeper than the neck of the shell and pull like hell.

16. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Do you have an old fashioned dent puller? Screw it into the primer. Yank that puppy out.

17. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

18. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

#1 never never never use a wooden dowel , beating on it only causes it to expand . #2 skip the brass rod same deal, if its stuck that bad and your beating on it its going to expand some where . I use a cold rolled steel rod small enough to go clear to the bottom of the case . Your really in a bad situation now . Take barrel completely off of upper , remove barrel extension , spray on some PB Blaster and get after it with vise grips and twist it out .

19. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Take the rifle to a gun smith. The shop will use a stuck shell extractor to remove the case. Most of these suggestion are untried remedys are from Gun store Ninjas. You will only damage the rifle more using most of these guesstimates. :(