In search of the perfect melon......

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by winds-of-change, Jun 5, 2012.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I love watermelon. I have pretty bad luck in picking a good watermelon. I've tried thumping them and listening for a hollow sound. I've tried picking one that has a large yellow patch thinking it means it was on the vine a long time. I've tried picking the darkest green one I could find. Still, it's hit or miss. Fortunately, I'm on my second watermelon of the season and both have been very, very sweet and tasty. But I know soon my luck is going to run out.

I can pick a cantelope pretty well. You can smell the ripeness with those. Not so with the watermelon.

So, do tell. What is your luck in picking good watermelons and what is your technique?

Maybe grocery stores should have trained watermelon ripeness sniffing dogs for us to use. :D

2. Mason609

Mason609 New Member

Honestly, not what I though it was going to be.

That said... I usually luck out and pick a good one. Can't say that for anything but fruits and veggies....

3. winds-of-change

I did that on purpose. ;)

4. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

My knowledge extends wholly, singularly, to an avacado. Stick a toothpick into its navel. If easy entrance item is ripe to buy and eat. :D

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

If the underside has a dull, yellowish hue, it should be a good 'un. Stay away from melons with a shiny, ivory color on the underside.

Lessons learned spending the majority of my first 25 years on this earth in my daddy's watermelon fields in Central FL.

6. winds-of-change

I can tell if an avacado is ripe by giving it a little squeeze. It should have just a little give but not feel mushy. I cut an avacado in half, take out the pit and spoon it out and eat it just as it is. Yum!

7. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Thumpers and noses........

As a gardner for many years I've come to understand your complaints. The first is the seed that was planted, second is the soil, third is the amount of watering. This is what really matters when the mellon begins to ripen. To much H2O and the sweetness is gone..... If you have every thing right your mellons will allways be sweet, my preference is the heirloom muskmellon. To which I screwed up and didn't continue to save the seeds from year to year. Water mellons are usually picked when the stem starts to curl and the bottom shows yellowing, cantalope and musk mellon are pick when the mellon slips from the vine........The only good part of a bad mellon is that it makes good food for the barn yard animals, esp. hogs.......:)

8. winds-of-change

The last bad watermelon I had I left out for the raccoons. Even they didn't eat it. And I know they came around because I leave a bowl of food and a pan of water out for them and they were into the food and water. They totally ignored the watermelon.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Never had a bad water melon. Probably due to the alcohol infused into them. Lol

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

While the watermelon is still on the vine, I place a jar of vodka under the vine right where it meets the melon. Then I pierce the vine with a needle, and work a small hole in it. It takes a while, but I work a thick piece of yarn through the vine, and let both ends dangle in the jar of vodka. In about two days, the watermelon is damn good.

11. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Bandits.......

lol. Raccoons are picky eaters, water mellon is not on thier pre ferred list, They love the cat and dog food you leave out...... They love shellfish, crabs, crayfish. They go after eggs and the young, frogs, young snakes, The reason for the water is that coons don't produce saliva, hence you see more coons killed on the road near a water source......And they do carry RABIES.........By the by, serve your next bad mellon to a flock of ducks or a barn yard of chickens...........;)

12. levelcross

levelcross New Member

I thought that my wife had posted this as she gets watermelon for her birthday cake with candles and all.

If you can find a local farmer that doesn't over water the melons at make them bigger these should be the sweet ones. As for color and stripes it has never worked for me. The wife says they talk to her and she has good luck at finding the good ones.

I tried growing my own and the deer and turtles ate more than we did, so I gave up.

13. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Picking one at a grocery store is a hit or miss proposition. They were usually transported quite a distance & picked green for long shelf life. They will continue to get red inside & will eventually evidence all the signs of being ripe, but will still taste green. The roadside stands are better, if the owner will be honest with you about when they were picked. If recently picked & show the usual signs of being ripe, will probably be good. Best, is going to the farm & cutting it off the vine yourself.

When cutting it yourself, on the stem not far from the end of the melon, there will be a small 'shoot' growing on the stem. When this starts curling up & dying, it's a sign the melon is about ripe. Final test is pressing on the center of the other end. A melon ripens from the stem out to the other end. When it is fully ripe, you will feel a little soft spot on the end. Too soft/spongey & it may be over ripe. If still hard, not ripe. This is the test I use at the local roadside stands, but still depends how long it has been off the vine.

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

I thought this was the Tail Trail. [​IMG]

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

That was my initial thought too...

16. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I love big juicy melons... Oh wait, you meant watermelons. :D :p

17. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Press on the ends of the melon, the softer it is the riper it is. I know this works on muskmelon and honeydew, it does sometimes on watermelons.

18. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Same here, i LOVE raw avacados. They have gotten a little pricey around here.

19. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

3/ 2$ on sale is the best I see. A little garlic salt or pepper is awsome on them.

20. winds-of-change

Haha..........I did that on purpose. You guys are so easy...........:p

Yeah, they are pricy. But as a treat I buy on once in a while. I bought one this morning on my way home from work because of this thread.