In need of training tips

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by easterner123, Jan 8, 2011.

1. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

A lot of people at school, both guys and girls, have asked me many times if I would take them hunting/shooting. I do not know what to say, because while I can give them the basics, what are some techniques for me, the instructor, to keep not only myself but the new shooter safe? Any tips to get novices and beginners along would be great.

PS I already convinced one friend to buy a gun. He bought a Ruger 10/22 on his eighteenth birthday and now shoots frequently, since I started him :D

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Have you looked at becoming an NRA Instructor? They have tons of material that will assist in your training efforts and that little card means a lot to shooting ranges.

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

NRA offers instructor courses. If you are concerned I would recommend one.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

+1000 on the NRA materials.

For a new shooter, a good start (did this with my kids, and now my grandkids) is the basic rules of gun safety. Here is my version-

C3's Rules of Gun Safety

1. Never point a gun at anything you do not intend to destroy. That means paying attention to where muzzle is pointing.

2. All guns are loaded until YOU have checked it for yourself. I am not insulted if I clear a gun, hand it to son, and he immediately checks it for clear.

3. Keep your finger OUT of the trigger guard until you intend to fire. Also known as "Keep yer booger hook off'n the bang switch".

4. Know how your gun functions, and what ammo it is supposed to use. Gun makers have a fascinating thing called a manual. Most will give you one for free, or let you download one. But nobody reads the damned things!

5. Know your target, and what is BEYOND your target. Even the lowly 22 LR can drive a bullet a mile and a half.

6. When cleaning or maintaining a firearm, the FIRST step is to clear the firearm. S U R E it's not loaded. Right. Clear the gun.

7. Store your guns & ammo so they are not accessable to children or child-like adults. They will get peanut butter and jelly on your guns.

5. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

NRA instructor

Thanks for the tips, I taught the one guy to as soon as someone hands you a gun, figure out how to open it up then open it to check if its loaded.

Which NRA certification can I do the most with? Here are the options according to their website:

Instructor ratings are available to conduct the following NRA courses:

Basic Pistol Shooting
    Personal Protection in the Home
    Personal Protection Outside the Home
    Basic Rifle Shooting
    Basic Shotgun Shooting
    Basic Muzzleloading Pistol
    Basic Muzzleloading Rifle
    Basic Muzzleloading Shotgun
    Home Firearm Safety
    Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    Shotgun Shell Reloading
    Range Safety Officer

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Basic Pistol and Rifle to start with.
    Then get the others as you can.

(FL recognizes a signed certificate from NRA as proof of firearms training needed for CCW. Classes are $45 to $100 per student if you are interested in a hobby.)

7. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

IF not already, take a hunter's safety course. contact local wildlife officer.

8. locnload

locnload New Member

easterner; There is a lot of good you can do for the shooting sports by helping to cultivate your friends interest. Keep in mind that alot of it is just youthful curiosity about guns rather than a serious desire to become a world class Skeet shooter or long distance steel champion. You have the chance to help satisfy that curiosity and start them off with a respect for firearms and penchant for safety. The specifics of good trigger control and sight allignment can come later. Its been a long time since I was young but as I remember, most of my interest were rather fickle, a way to try new things not find my way in life. I was lucky to have a father who instilled in me the love and respect for firearms and hunting. It's not something that comes with one trip to the sandpit and a box of olld pop cans. You are the "tip of the spear". Teach them the "Four Rules of Gun Safety" and please ammend your advise to your friend about figuring out how to open a gun to check to see if its loaded. If you have ever watched someone unfamiliar with guns try to open one, it can be scary. Tell them instead to ask the person to open it for them if they don't know how. Dont take more people out than you can keep track of, one or two at a time. Also, this may be a great way to get to know chicks that are worth knowing. :D Good luck