In need of a 1911 compensator

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Ultimate_sig, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Im looking for a punisher style compensator, can anyone point me in the right direction. Got a 1911 sig sauer tact ops with a threaded barrel

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Try Ebay- They got all that TV stuff :rolleyes:

3. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Tried that, the dont have what I want

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

5. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Its a local place near me in Va, its called SSGtactical.

6. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  7. Gloves

Gloves New Member

Wow, i'm also interested in these bushing compensators.
    Was wondering what they were every since watching Wanted.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9898/Product/EZ-EQUALIZER-1911-AUTO-BUSHING-COMP

I like this one in stainless
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7681/Product/1911-AUTO-TRIPLE-PORT-BUSHING-COMP

that might actually be my next buy.
    I doubt i would be able to notice much (anyone with experience?)
    I guess it would look beefier and can take off and switch back to
    the classic bushing in a matter of a 1 minuet. Fun toy part.

8. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

IMO, putting a comp on a .45 caliber handgun is a waste of good money that could be spent on ammo.

10. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

Why would you want to screw with a good thing?

11. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

I agree putting a Comp on a 1911 is a poor investment. This is a .45 Win Mag Big 1911 pistol. The Comp was shipped with these guns they are a bushing style . I have fired this big .45 with and with out the Comp. The Comp only makes a gun that will not fit a holster.:(

[​IMG]

12. Gloves

Gloves New Member

That's what I thought.
    Although, if speed shooting guns they often (not always) sport a compensator. But all the speed shooting guns i see have 2 additional
    parts to them if they have a compensator.
    - Flash guard
    - Raised sights (usually red dot)
    I'm guessing it does throw the flash right into your FOV, thus negating any on-target speed you may have gained from the compensation. (i have no experience to back up my theory)

See razorcat:
    [​IMG]

13. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

Thought i heard somewhere that the .45 does not have enough velocity or gas pressure to utilize a compensator making them purely aesthetic? Think it was on here somewhere..

14. CubDriver451

CubDriver451 New Member

Actually, a good compensator works just fine on a .45. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a good bushing comp. Compensators work by redirecting the pressure driving the bullet. This is a function of both venting and baffling. The baffles must be close fit to the bullet diameter so that they can strip the gas away from the bullet and then direct it through the vent ports. The hole in a bushing style comp must be large enough to allow the barrel to pass through it as the action cycles, therefor there is no effective baffling.

As to the pressure issue with regard to comps on a .45, it is true that they are not as effective as on higher pressure guns, such as the .38 Super, but they do indeed make a difference that is easily seen and felt. Using lightweight bullets and driving them to near max pressure, makes the comp work even better.

If you want a comp that actually works, have your barrel threaded and a good comp installed. If all you want is a gun that looks cool, have your barrel threaded and a good comp installed. Not only do the bushing comp not really do anything, they also look pretty bad, in my opinion. Every time I see one at the range, it reminds me of the guy that put the fiberglass hood scoop on his 1986 Camaro, but didn't bother to fill the scoop with anything to actually increase performance. They are generally a poor fit, and just look cheap.

JW

15. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

unless you use one of these....
    [​IMG]

16. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

Solid info thanks bud!

17. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

18. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Clark custom guns make a 460 Rowland conversion kit that comes packaged with a compensator. Uses the same mags and has speed to match a 44. Runs about $300. You might want to reload though cause the ammo ain't cheap.