In my survival kit.. lets add too. everyone make kits

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by moneymaker17, Nov 17, 2011.

1. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

In my kit it will consist of

first aid kit
    matchs water proof container
    duct tape
    ka bar knife
    candles
    rope
    water bottle
    radio
    flash light
    face mask
    survival guide
    compass
    whisol
    notepad
    pencil
    sharpie
    walkie talkies
    coffie filters
    meds-advil, vitimans, bottle of jack ;)
    leather gloves,
    rain ponchos
    blanket (sun one)
    dissenfectant
    sunscreen

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Im thinkin you need some sort of water filter or tablets to add to your kit , U have alot of battery powered goodies there, probably wouldnt hurt to make sure they all use the same kind and have some extras :) good stater kit

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Aluminumn Foil is great for making containers to cook with. It folds up flat.

4. TLuker

TLuker New Member

You've got two of the same items, disinfectant and Jack. I would loose the disinfectant and just add more Jack. Of course then you would be a lot more likely to run out of disinfectant? :rolleyes:

One thing I've done when listing items in my BOB is to break them down into groups and in order of importance starting with necessities (water, first aid, and food). Next is shelter. Then clothing (by season). Then hygiene. Then miscellaneous items. Finally weapons. I have similar items that you listed but listing in groups helped me to spot things I was missing such as water purification and TP. It also helped me think better about how to combine things or get more use from them such as a military style canteen with a metal cup rather than a water bottle. The cup can be used to boil water for purification and to cook in.

5. unclebear

unclebear New Member

knife, rope, matches, and a water filtering device, couple of sterno cans (quick heat and fire)... thats all I need.

6. bkt

bkt New Member

Pretty good list, moneymaker17.

What I do is have things that I would always want with me - food, water, water purification, med kit, shelter, comms (multi-power radio for receiving news, CB or HAM HT for broadcasting), navigation - in the main bag at all times. But I have wet sacs for seasonal use - the one for summer has sunscreen, bug bite treatment, a t-shirt, shorts...the winter one has gloves, hat, sweatshirt, that sort of thing. That way you can just swap out one bag inside your main bag when the seasons change.

Others mentioned water purification and I agree - that's critical. There are a bunch of options for lightweight high-calorie food you might also want to consider.

Finally, consider navigation - maps or an atlas and a GPS to go along with your compass - as being pretty helpful. Shelter is important, too. You can get some pretty light mylar tarps (bigger than "space blankets"), add grommets, make sure you have paracord or rope, and you and your stuff stay a little drier and warmer.

7. fireguy

fireguy New Member

A decent stainless steel water bottle isn't very expensive and is pretty light. You can use it to carry water as well as heat it if you need to disinfect that way. You can also use it to cook in if need be.

I saw a post on another site about having a digital camera with you for times when you may need to take a peek around a corner or do recon. You wouldn't have to expose more than the camera to get a shot of something you can study for details as long as you like.

8. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

My BOV is a 1994 Honda Shadow so certain items pertain only to it.

Quiklot
    Sutures
    Antibiotics
    Gauze
    Alcohol (I like Jack Daniels)
    Ruger SP101
    .357 & .38 ammo
    Speed loaders
    Bandanas
    Plastic tube
    Two way radios & charger
    Water tablets
    Cold weather gear
    Crescent wrench & other various tools
    Small foot powered air pump
    Tire plug kit
    Emergency blanket
    Value pack of Bic lighters
    Camping tp
    Paracord
    Travel size hygiene kit
    Small ac/dc converter
    Hair trimmer/shaver
    Bug spray
    Small fishing kit
    Silver
    Camelbak Urban Assault backpack
    Suction cup ball compass
    Electrical tape
    Moisturizing eye drops (dry eye from LASIK)
    Cold Steel Counter Tac II
    Leatherman multi-tool
    USB charger
    Coat hanger wire
    Swimming goggles
    Wiley X goggles
    Snakebite kit
    Signal mirror
    Knife sharpener
    Salt & pepper
    Aluminum foil
    Saran wrap
    Ink pens
    Cash
    Breakfree CLP
    Hennessy hammock
    WD-40
    Dryer lint
    LED flashlight

This looks like a lot but everything here is in its most compact form. A month living out of saddlebags will teach you a few things.

9. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Did I inadvertently end this thread?

10. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Would one of those old "test" phones the linemen from the telephone co. use be worth throwing in a kit of some sort?

11. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

What about a bow? Arrows can be made and they're quiet and deadly for hunting or protection

12. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

You can buy a take down recurve in a hard case from sportsmans guide for like $190

13. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I mean, I have a bear compound bow but I was just throwing it out there as an option since I never saw anything about one when it could have been a good weapon to use

14. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Wooden arrows and compounds dont go together though. Iv tried and the results were disaterous.

15. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I'd also like to add a small folding shovel, I've buried my rear wheel a few times & being on a steep hill doesn't make it any easier.

16. bkt

bkt New Member

What's the purpose of the kit? Is it a get-home/bug-out bag? If so, keep it simple, lightweight and include the things that are necessary. It's really easy to keep adding this and that and before you know it your 25lb bug-out bag weighs 75lbs and you won't use it.

If it's an INCH bag or bags, that might be a different story - throw whatever you want or need in there.

17. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

all around bug out, diaster, terioust attack, zombies.. haha ,, pretty much anything to grab and go

18. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

if only i could fit my reloading equipment in my back :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

19. bkt

bkt New Member

Having put together one of those bags, I can say it's too damn heavy. If I have a vehicle, fine. Once it was on my back for any time, it got pared down pretty quick. YMMV.

20. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

bare essentials in my bag , Food im not worried about there plenty of game animals in IL , Water source would include my MSR water works filter since we have a 18,000 acre lake near by , single man tent , -20 sleeping bag, small first aid kit ,anticeptic ,small tarp , Knife, sharpener, small Axe , multi tool, stainless 2 litre container to cook in , couple bic lighters , magnesium fire starter, 250 yards @60# test fishing line, light rain suit , .22 survival rifle , milk jug "full of .22 rounds" that could also be used to store water in, Thats about all I really need to get by with and were talking less than 25# , minus the jug of .22 rounds that itself is going to weigh that much