In Dixieland ...

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Shoobee, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

"Oh I wish I was in de' land of cotton,
    Old times there are not forgotten;
    Look away, look away, look away,
    Dixieland.

In Dixieland where I was born,
    Early one frosty mornin',
    Look away, look away, look away,
    Dixieland.

Then I wish I was in Dixie,
    Houray! Houray!
    In Dixieland I'll take my stand,
    To live and die, in Dixie!

Away, away, away down south,
    In Dixie.
    Away, away, away down south,
    In Dixie."

My most favorite song. I was born in Fort Pierce Florida to a Chicago couple (my parents) who took early retirment to Florida. They managed an RV park there, then moved to Gainesville, where I remember being a kid, chasing alligators for sport single handedly with a big stick.

I learned to pronounce all the words like a Floridian whereas my dad stuck to the Chicago syntax. I said kreek while he said krik. I said root while he said rowt. I said kar while he said kah.

If you live and work in Dixie you are quite lucky, especially Florida. But even Texas, or Louisiana are both quite beautiful as well, in Dixie.

California has more gold though, so those of us who are mining gold in California are stuck here in this looney bin for now.

I often think of where someday to retire. I recall the beautiful beaches of Florida, the plains and prairies of Texas, the Gulf Coast of Louisiana. And if you don't mind being stuck in the middle of nowhere, even the mountains of Colorado are nice too.

Unless you survived Marine Corps recruit or officer training, as well, you are probably not going to impress me with your bravery.

Unless you stood on the wall as well, and left your family and sweetie pie back home alone, and loved your rifle and your .45 both at your side at all times in the day or night, I am probably not going to be impressed with your knowlege of guns.

Unless you have dropped a buck deer in his tracks at 425 yards with a single shot, I will probably not be impressed by your varmint gun.

That's just how it is.

PTSD is an interesting thing. It goes away eventually. But it takes decades.

I respect the younger grunts just coming home, who will have to wait those decades, still.

Favorite joke: "What does a Floridian call anyone who is not from Florida? [Answer: A northerner.]"

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  2. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

Very random shoob lol :p

3. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

So, my only question is: Do you like Florida or no?

4. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

I was born at 8:30 on a Saturday morning, January 25, 1936 in Yalobusha county in North Mississippi. After Mother died I found a paper she had written soon after I was born. In it she described our house as a 'shack.' She wrote that after the doctor was paid for delivering me they had only a quarter to their name. My earliest memory is looking out Mother's kitchen window one sunny winter morning at the frost on the sage grass in the yard. Does 'Dixie' bring a tear to my eye? You bet!

5. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

Especially the way Elvis sang it in 'Trilogy!'

6. Chainfire

My family has been in the Deep South since George Washington was a new president. I understand exactly how you feel.

7. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

A lot of people where I live consider central and south Florida to be part of the North. North Florida is like south Georgia, but the rest is basically northerners, retired northerners, or Cubans. But northern Florida is just as much Dixie as the rest of the south. Although this thread is random, I find it uplifting.
    EDIT: My family's lived in the deep south since the land was available for the white man.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  8. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

I want to hear some alligator chasing stories from the rest of you Florida boys. I know you did it. Because I know I did it. So cough them up.

The thing is that once you get used to fighing against alligators as a kid, you're never afraid of anything else in your life. Just give me a stick. I don't care what animal it is!

9. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

The most beautiful places to live in the USA are Hawaii, Florida, and California, in that order. Buuuuuuttttt ..... California is really messed up, by comparison.

Florida definitely has the best scuba diving and warmest waters of them all, for sure.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  10. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

As do I also.

11. Chainfire

I have a really great, true, alligator poaching story, but it has to be told in person to get the full effect. It involves three men, in a jon boat, armed only with a .22 single shot rifle. One man held the light, one was to shoot the gator in the head, the third then jumps in the water to cut the gators throat before it sinks. The .22 snapped, but the tense man with the knife jumped before he realized it.........

Everybody survived, but that ended the hunting that night. I think the jumper required some stitches and some couch time with a shrink.

12. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

I think the perfect moral of this story would be, "never bite off more than you can chew!" Having reference to the alligator as well, of course.

13. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

When i was 15 I fished for gators with hot dogs and almost had to club one that snuck up behind me. Guy that worked at the bait shop said he would snuck up behind me and drag me into the water to drowned and eat. Guess who dosent fish for gators anymore!

14. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Dan Emmett and the Snowdon Family of Ohio wrote "Dixie". They were very ProUnion folks. Dan wrote the Fife and Drum rules for the Union Army. Dan Emmett was a very dedicated Federal Army Vet. serving before the Civil War. It became a favorite show tune in the North at "Black Face Shows". It was picked up and taken south to become a Sothern Army favorite. They are still marching to that old "Yankee" tune.:)

15. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

I read that on wiki too. Fascinating.

There are only 3 songs that bring tears to my eyes --

- the National Anthem

- the Marines' Hymm

- Dixie

16. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Whenever you chase gators in the water, you are on their turf.

Whenever on land, they are on your turf.

I would never chase them on their turf either.

17. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Gators can run on land much quicker than a person can IIRC, I would say anywhere is their turf and I wouldn't chase a gator with anything less than a shotgun and a big appatite.

18. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

That was not from Wiki but from meme. I did study history or was I there. I am getting so old I am not sure.:D Songs don't make me cry but the prople who sing them do.:eek:

19. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

That's precisely why you absolutely need a stick.

Someday I will tell you my German Shepherd story.

Dogs and black bears are slow and dumb compared to a gator.

20. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

How many people are killed by gators each year. The Brown Bear can out run a quater horse and the many folks are killed by them each year.:eek: The gators in the Mtn. West died off 50 million years ago. Thats a good thing.:D