In a predicament . . .

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by rytops1, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rytops1

rytops1 New Member

Hey, does anybody have an extra handgun they're looking to sell? I'm going to be writing novels and need to learn how to operate a firearm. I tried to buy one at the store, waited ten days, and for some reason my order got delayed. They said it is likely due to my common last name. So, law states I can buy a gun from a person that's not a dealer without doing the background check. Otherwise, I have to wait possibly up to a year for the gun I purchased to get off the delay list. Anybody have a gun they wouldn't mind dispensing with so I can learn about operating a firearm?

I'd really appreciate it,
    Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

One year delay? I'm not touching that one with a ten foot pole.

3. rytops1

rytops1 New Member

haha no, they said it could take a week, month, or a year. I have no misdemeanors or felonies. They said it was due to my common last name. But yeah, I can't just pretend my characters know what they're doing!

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Im with you Winds!

Not touching this with a ten foot pole! We are not stupid here on the FTF. So in my personal opinion go shopping elsewhere.
    As Marmaduke would say RHOT RO! I smell a serious problem here!:rolleyes:

Sniper O3

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

You can give your social security number to expedite the NICS check.

6. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Do you think I just fell off a turnip truck???

If you're honest about learning how any firearm works... Go to Youtube... and if a legit dealer has not been able to help you obtain ....well then that just sucks for you.
    ...and no, I am also not interested in any overseas transactions involving the "Crown Prince of Nannibiah" either.

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Find a friend who has a gun who will take you shooting or who would be willing to show you how a gun works. It's just a red flag when someone's first post is such as yours. Sorry.

8. jord1985

jord1985 New Member

He's probably writing a book on gun control and how easy you can get a gun. Silly liberals background checks are for YOU!

9. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yeah, there's no such thing as a year-long delay. More likely it'll be a few days. Why the rush? You don't write a book in a week anyway…….go look up stuff on the 'net in the meantime.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

smells fishy to me

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

OK- here is your first lesson.

Your ISP is San Diego CA. You are subject to California law. Here is the info on California gun laws: http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/pdf/cfl2013.pdf?

In California it is illegal for an unlicensed person (non dealer) to sell a gun directly to another non-licensed person. Under Federal law, it is illegal for you to purchase a handgun in any state OTHER than your state of residence.

If an unlicensed person sells you a handgun, the transfer MUST take place thru a California dealer. And follows the same process as if you were buying a gun from the dealer.

Do not ask any member here to aid in committing a crime.

Now, in the meantime, while you wait, there are numbers of experienced firearms users here. We'll be happy to answer questions. Would also suggest that (a) you take the required California Firearms Safety course, and (b) look for Youtube vids of Hickok 45.

Learn what the laws are in your state, and do not ask for help in bypassing them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.