In a Dillemma

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by easterner123, Sep 3, 2013.

1. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

I am in a bit of a tight spot right now. I currently own a Bushmaster xm15-e2s and I love the weapon. It is a tack driver, has low recoil and is a weapon platform I have a lot of experience with. However, I looked at the price of ammo recently and with my budget, I cannot afford to shoot this weapon anymore.

So I looked into getting an AK style rifle. From what I remember, they used to be around $500-600 new. I figured if I sold the AR I could just trade it in for a Kalashnikov. WHAT HAPPENED!?!?! Suddenly WASRs are worth $700-800? The 7.62x39 is still way cheaper than any .223 I've found but golly that just seems ridiculous to pay that much for an AK.

What are your suggestions? Should I dump the AR and get an AK or is it not worth selling my Bushmaster for $750 and then trying to pick up an AK? What rifle would you recommend for my price range? Is it worth the trade? I want to have one of these rifles because I like having the high magazine capacity and I also have an inkling they will be banned in my lifetime.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Keep the ar and save up money.

3. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

TOTALLY agree with Mountain on this. Stick with the rifle you know & love. Once it's all said and done and the dust settles from the horse-trading you really wouldn't save that much. My suggestion is set yourself up on Gunbot http://gunbot.net/ and Ammoseek http://ammoseek.com/ and keep an eye out on the major retailers (Cabela's, Gander Mnt, Bass Pro, etc) and know that the flow of ammo is getting better every week. Even my local Ma & Pa has plenty of Federal .223 and Remmy 5.56 for about $9 to $11 for a box of 20..... Unless there is yet another panic, things should only improve. Just buy a box here & there when you get paid and stock up.

4. FatTire

FatTire New Member

My vote is keep the AR and slowly stock up on ammo. If i didnt have a supply built up, i would barely have gone shooting since sandy hook. Now im starting to see good deals again and ive gotten into reloading, so im building supplies and get to go shooting pretty much whenever the mood strikes, regardless of prices or shortages.

Dont forget to check out the local gun shops. Here, Frontier has had ammo in stock when no one else did, and they kept the prices reasonable relatively speaking.

5. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

So I can find a box of Tulammo 7.62mm Warsaw for about $5 to $6 and I can find a box of Tulammo .223 for about....$5 to $6.

I'm not seeing much price advantage these days, just more availability for 7.62x39mm. Across the entire spectrum of ammo the 7.62 might be cheaper on average but on the lower end it's about the same.

AR prices are down about pre-panic levels. I can find plenty of entry level AR's for $700 to $1,000. AK's are harder to come by for some reason and while prices are dropping they are still higher overall. I'd guestimate about $100 to $200 higher than they were pre-Newtown. For whatever reason AK's are still overpriced and Mini-14's are still unavailable despite ammo supplies starting to come back and AR's being plentiful.

I think you're better off sticking with what you have. By the time AK's drop back to pre-panic prices the cheap .223/5.56 ammo should be available in your area again. Just a hunch.

6. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

Buy and SKS

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

keep the ar15 and start getting reloading gear. loading your own will always be cheaper than store bought and even during the worst of the ammo craziness i was able to find gunpowder bullets primers if i looked enough.

8. 762

762 Member

keep the AR. i've got both and i'd rather have the AR if i had to pick. more accurate and lower recoil and more reliable. save your money and shop some deals for bulk 556.

x2 on what Java said too, my local store has tulammo 762 and 556 for $5.xx a box.

if you really want an SKS i'll sell you my norinco and the 600 rounds of ammo i have for it lol

9. Garadex

Garadex New Member

If you love the gun don't sell, trade, or get rid of it in any other way; you will regret it. You could save up a bit and get a 7.62x39 upper for it though.

10. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Dang. That's a good suggestion as well.

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'd keep the rifle you like, and ride it out.

Otherwise, later, you will be kicking yourself

for your impatience.

Why not get a decent 22LR you can shoot

for recreation? Maybe one of those uber-

accurate bolt actions?

12. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I cannot for the life of me imagine why anybody would sell a good gun that they really enjoy. For God's sake, keep the Bushmaster and just save up for an AK or pick up the 7.62X39 upper for the Bushie.

And then save up for reloading gear. Or maybe do that first and start reloading 5.56.

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

Like everyone else, except for the random who said to buy an SKS and didn't provide any reasoning, I say stick with the AR.

I also say buy what you can, when you can in terms of ammo.

I also say start buying lower end reloading equipment, such as a single stage press.

Really, if your goal is to shoot a lot anyway, you need to be a reloader.

14. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

I'll join the "KEEP THE AR" bunch.

Money situations change, when times get better, buy better ammo, buy more guns.

but keep your AR.

15. Ralph_the_Mouse

Ralph_the_Mouse New Member

Sell your AR. You don’t need an AR-15. It’s harder to aim; it’s harder to use. And in fact, you don’t need 30 rounds to protect yourself. Buy a shotgun. Buy a shotgun.

16. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

Thanks for the advice

I will just ride it out and see if I can get another upper receiver come later this month. I do see everyone's point and upon further research and considering this AK price jump is crazy. I've always wanted an SKS but that will but once college is over and the bills are more than paid. As far as a shotgun, I will get one of those, again, once I graduate.

I will look up the reloading equipment, my Father used to shoot competitive skeet so he reloaded, I have a general idea of how it works. I just hope I'm able to get my hands on some ammo before another shortage or some type of ban goes into place. Thanks for the advice everyone!

17. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Are you proofreading your posts?

18. Ralph_the_Mouse

Ralph_the_Mouse New Member

It's a quote from the great Joe Biden

19. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I prefer ergonomics, light weight, and availability of replacement parts and accessories more than the absolute reliability of the AK. Keep your AR lubed and replace the springs when necessary and it will be more than reliable enough to get the job done.

Some people just love the AK, like my son, but I'm not one of those people. I have one because it works and you should be familiar with both, but if money is tight and you already have a solid rifle that you like then there's no compelling reason to change.

Save up for optics and a weapon light if you don't already have them.

20. TDS92A

TDS92A New Member Supporter

Never sell any weapon unless you have multiples of it. I know for a fact that in my area, the LGS that I shop at has Romanian Ak's for just over $600 out the door. Also, .223 are starting to become more available, just pick up a box or two as you can and go from there. Have patience! :D