Impulse or Calculated?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by txpossum, Jul 17, 2013.

1. txpossum

txpossum New Member

What would you consider most of your firearms purchases to be -- the result of impulse or careful calculation?

I definitely fall into the impulse category. Now, fortunately most of my "basic" firearm "needs" are covered, so any new firearms I buy is just gravy. Oh, I have a few holes I will eventually fill -- I'm covered with mid-power .30 rifles, but don't have anything bigger than 30-06, and lack a "varmint" caliber such as 22/250; and I'm currently without a .44 magnum handgun --but these days I usually buy on the basis of finding a good deal rather than search for a particular firearm.

I have probably bought four rifles while searching for the right Marlin lever action in .35 Remington, which, btw, I still don't have, but could not pass up the deal. Oh, I keep a few "wants" in the back of my mind that I look for, but I can afford to wait on the right deal before buying.

So, do you think carefully before buying a firearm, or just wait till one jumps out at you?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  2. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

Yes!!

:D

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

A nearly equal mix of both.

4. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

The early handgun purchases were calculated and researched. I have so many now, that it comes down to will I have room for it in the safe, or do I need to buy a larger one. So many guns, so little time.

5. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

I'd go for bigger safe... :D

6. HighSpeed

HighSpeed New Member

A little of both. My last purchase, an HK USPc .40, was specifically because I wanted an HK in my collection and only had one other .40.

My next purchase will be a .357 with at least a 4" barrel, again, because I don't have one in my collection.

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

All my firearms purchases have been calculated. I decide what I want then save up to buy it. I don't have enough $$ to do much impulse buying. :(

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

Prolly a slight majority being calculated as of late. Very close between the two, though. If I had more money I guarantee I would do more impulse buys.

9. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Agreed. Typically I do a lot of research then not buy. Then I see it and have to have it so I buy it.

10. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

When I was younger, most everything was calculated due to funds, then after better jobs and extra coin, some were definitely impulse. After a costly divorce, much of my collection was sold and I have yet to replace some of those models since they seem to be at a premium price these days. I have passed up many very good buys simply because I felt money could be used in a more practical way at the time,, kick my own butt for that a lot,, but luckily now that I can buy on impulse if I wish, it is normally reserved for when my wife gets a real itch for a new shotgun,,, trap shooters can drive you nuts,,, but she's worth it to me,, although I have been poking around for a summer carry piece,, who knows,,,,,,,

11. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Most of my firearm purchases have been researched and calculated,before the internet I always subscribed to several gun magazines and picked up others I didn't subscribe to,just to research what was new along with gun reviews.

I'm in a dilema right now,i'm looking to add another firearm? The big question which one and why??? :D lol
    Decisions decisions???

12. winds-of-change

Also, I am a tight wad when it comes to my money. I think I'm the only woman who doesn't like to spend, spend, spend.

13. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Lots of research and making up my mind..over..and over...and over again. Then, changing my mind and doing more research. Then making up my mind...over....and...over again. Then, changing my mind and doing more research. Then making up my mind...over....and...over again. Then, changing my mind and doing more research. Then making up my mind...over....and...over again. Then, changing my mind and doing more research. Then making up my mind...over....and...over again. Then, changing my mind and doing more research. Then making up my mind...over....and...over again. Then, changing my mind and doing more research.

Then I buy what I first wanted to buy in the first place. Then a week of buyers remorse. Then I am so happy I bought the gun, because I did my research and put a lot into it. Then I take a drink or too...because buying a gun is so freaking consuming and stressful. Then I will show everyone on this forum.:D

14. winds-of-change

ROFL............I am the same way. We can drive ourselves nuts, can't we?

15. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Good answer/

16. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Hahaha That's where i'm at right now!! My brain's hurting on which way to go??:confused: LOL :D

17. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

What are you looking at for a next gun? What are you thinking of?

18. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

My first thought was a Colt 1911 or a S&W Revolver of the performance center,then I went shopping?? Then I saw the Sigs,HKs,and I saw a Ruger SR1911 commander that was really sweet! :cool:

So i'm totally confused Hahaha :D,i've been spending a bunch of time on GB.

19. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Then I was looking at bolt action rifles?? LOL :D

20. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Calculated, always calculated.... If, I come upon an unexpected deal, and it will be profitable to me (collectability, trade item, parts or re-sale) I'll almost always jump at it, and immediately flip it etc..