Impulse buy...

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Franciscomv, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I don't know why, but I just purchased a Taurus Judge (stainless with a 4" barrel). I can't imagine what I'll use it for, but it just seemed like a fun gun to own. :D Plus I've been hearing a lot of good things about Taurus wheelguns and wanted to try one out.

[​IMG]

(Not my gun in the pic)

The paperwork on this one is going to take a long while, since the nice blokes at the federal gun registry have no idea in which category to file it. Luckily, a friend of mine works at the shop I got it from and he can take it to the range so I can try it out. I just can't take it home.

I figured it might make a good weapon for my long horse back trips in the mountains. I'll keep it loaded with .45LC for two legged critters, and I'll have a few .410 shotshells for emergency food procurement. Honestly, it's main use is going to be playing around with different loads and shooting up random stuff. :)

Does anybody know if there are any speed loaders available for this gun?

2. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

3. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

They say it's a great gun for snake killing.
    And they taste like chicken.:rolleyes:

4. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

It is and it does, and I can personally attest to that. Congrats on the Judge Francis. :)

Jack.......

5. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

They're PERFECT for killing poisonous snakes at close range. Only bad thing is they're so bulky, it's hard to find holsters locally-you usually have to order them.

6. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I do a little leather working as a hobby, mostly saddles and horse gear. A holster for the judge might be a fun little project (I've never made a holster before).

Thanks for the links BigByrd!

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations. I find them interesting, but I keep hearing mixed reviews. Please post a range report when you can.

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I only see them as a snake gun. I was interested when I first heard about them but not so much anymore. That being said, I would like to shoot one for a little while, I think you could have some fun with them.

9. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

10. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I've had my Taurus Judge for about 2 years now. It's different. When I first got it, I shot it a lot. It's fun to shoot. I probably put 1000 rounds of .410's through it, and another 1000 rounds of 45 Colts.

The Judge isn't my first choice for SD, but it does go bang every time. I keep a .357 Magnum on my side of the bed and a Ruger LCR (or my Ultra-Lite M85UL Taurus) in my pocket.

I can say confidently that the Judge is much more than a "snake gun". But I really don't know a great application for it, so I would shoot it as my novelty plinker and leave the SD to my "other" weapons. It's now officially my wif'e's gun and she keeps it by the bed.

Attached Files:

• 4510.jpg
      4510.jpg
      File size:
      96.2 KB
      Views:
  11. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

I think some of you might find this video interesting. They say that the Taurus Judge was originally for self defence in the vehicle!

Judge and self defence!

12. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

This is more or less how I feel about it. It won't work better than my other guns for home defense or carry, but it still looks like a fun gun to own. I've got my basic handgun needs covered, so I guess there's no harm in owning a novelty weapon just for kicks. :)

I've seen similar videos, and the problem is they test the spread pattern but not penetration, which I think is the main problem with .410 shells out of this type of gun.

Here's an article from the folks at The Box O'Truth about the judge.
    The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1

For use against humans, I'd be inclined to go with .45 colt, but then I could just pick up my S&W 686 with 6 shots of .357 magnum and do a better job. And if I wanted a 5 shot revolver for SD, a S&W J frame or Ruger SP101 would be much easier to carry.

I'm happy with my purchase because I wasn't looking for this gun to fulfill any type of role other than being a fun plinker to try out with friends. Plus I wanted to get some first hand experience with Taurus revolvers.

I still think it might be an interesting trail gun. I'll try it out in the summer.

13. WDB

WDB New Member

IMO it's a good add and one that is on my list. Not an everyday pistol but one that has a use and not all that common. A fun/nice add to collection the only Taurus on my buy list.

Enjoy and let me know what you think of it when you get it.

14. singleshot

singleshot New Member

Rabbit hunt?

Some guys use them to rabbit hunt with, lol. They also are buying the single shot Super Comanche that, like the Judge, shoots the 410 shell or the .45 cal.