Firearms Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it really possible to make an improvised suppressor? With like a cola can or water bottle? If so is it legal?

·
Banned
18,636 Posts
No it is not legal. It is possible to improvise one, but a water bottle or soda can ain't gonna take that abuse. And your don't want to go to jail over a water bottle or soda can.

A little paperwork, 200 dollar tax stamp, plus purchase price, is a very small price to pay compared to the consequences.

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
What trip said is pretty much it. It's possible you wouldn't get caught with a felonius device. It's possible you wouldn't ever drop the soap in prison. It's possible you could find someone to sell you a gun after you get out. Etc.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was jc. I'm looking to buy a gun with a threaded barrel. I just didn't know if an improvised suppressor was legal hence the OP. Now I know.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
potentialglock said:
Do I need a special license to purchase a suppressor for a. 22 rifle?
No. Just an extra $200. And be able to pass a federal back ground check. And you have to wait 6 months for it all to go through.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts

·
Banned
18,636 Posts
Yep that's all it takes. Same with full auto guns as long as they are post 65.
pre 86 and registered with the BATF.

And yes, as overkill stated you want to make sure it's legal in your state.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
trip286 said:
pre 86 and registered with the BATF.

And yes, as overkill stated you want to make sure it's legal in your state.
Dang. What a brain fart. I dont know what I was doing. Lol

·
Banned
11,006 Posts
Op-you get the tax stamp and you can spemd like $75 for an adapter that will let you use oil filters for a supressor. They actually work well. There again they have to be legal in your home state

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Marlinman said:
Op-you get the tax stamp and you can spemd like $75 for an adapter that will let you use oil filters for a supressor. They actually work well. There again they have to be legal in your home state
I have seen these. Can't aim but they work.

·
Banned
11,006 Posts
I have seen these. Can't aim but they work.
You can to aim-use a small riding lawn mower filter. You can't really aim w a bottle neither but alot of people still kill things like that.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Marlinman said:
You can to aim-use a small riding lawn mower filter. You can't really aim w a bottle neither but alot of people still kill things like that.
Will the mower filter work with bigger calibers?

·
Premium Member
14,335 Posts
and dont forget the 6 month + wait ;)
If you are lucky. I waited 7 months and they lost my paperwork. Returned the check and I had to re- submit all the stuff. now I am back to waiting probably for another 7 months. They said mine would go to the top of the pile and they expect me to believe that.:mad:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.