Importing guns?

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by xcoreyyyx, Jun 18, 2012.

1. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

What is the view or rules on importing guns from other countries into the US? I know there has to be some. My friend was telling me how cheap ak's are in places like Russia where they are mass produced. I am not thinking about importing any into it I was just wondering laws on it or if it is legal at all. I know they bust people for illegally importing weapons, but there has to be a way to legally do it?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You need an ffl and license for importing for starters.

3. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

I figured that or have it shipped to a vendor that does have those.

4. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

I'm sure that there are also plenty of taxes to pay when doing it, possibly for each gun or just in general.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

importing guns into the states is not simple. there are specific rules the batfe has to enforce thanks to our criminals in congress. for example full ak47 cannot be imported in a traditiional akformat with reciever. thats why saiga imports ak47 with sporter stocks. ak47's like century and aim use some parts including receiver made in the US everything else is foreign.

bolt guns some other semi auto can be imported with few changes. its a case by case basis.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Another example the sks must have 10 American made parts to be legal according to federal law.

7. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

^^
    Is this law in effect now or is it for guns made after a certain date or what?

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Corey, think miles and miles of red tape, jumping through hoops while standing on your head, insanely stupid rules and regulations, then when that is completed, they change the rules on you!

9. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

^^
    Sometimes I hate rules and regulations. I am glad that I do not live in California but I do need to move from Maryland to somewhere much more lax about things.

10. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

Oh trust me I know. Just a few years ago my driving test to get my license was so simple and it was common sense. Now I hear that there are all these new rules and they changed all this stuff to be so different from what they use to be. It's like if you don't keep up with it, you would never have any clue about new laws and all. It is hard to even keep up with it these days. Everything is always changing and it's mostly nonsense.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

If you're just talking one or two or a few more, the best way is do what most of us do: buy from a reputable dealer who gets them from a major importer. Let someone else worry about the import laws.

Then you only need to worry about making changes that are illegal, the gun should be legal configured as you bought it.

12. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Paperworks are pain in the #%$. Time is the worst. If you are only getting one, let's say it's a semi auto AK. Just get the Arsenal Saiga AK SGL21 for about $800 price range. If you planning to import a full auto or more than one AK, paperworks will be your new friends.

13. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

Ehhh, I dont think I will be doing much paperwork. I think I will just stick to regular ak's and sk's. I figure for the price range of certain things I can buy multiples of something else and still be just as fine. Oh well. It was just a thought. I was watching something about Russias toughest prisons and they were mentioning the ak's and that brought up my friends convo about the cheap ak's they have there since they were mass produced.

14. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

That's why the Mexican cartel comes to America for guns...to pay extra.
    Yeah right.
    Sorry had to say it.

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yes, there are dirt cheap AKs abroad. Most are full auto. NO, you wll NOT import one of those into the US.

For private citizens, NO additional full auto firearms can be registered after May 1986.

Some things require a license if you are in the business of doing it.

Type Usage
    Type 1 Title 1 dealer or gunsmith other than destructive devices. Can also deal in Title II NFA firearms with class 3 tax stamp.
    Type 2 Title 1 dealer doing business as a pawnbroker.
    Type 3 Licensed collector of Curio & Relic (C&R) firearms.
    Type 6 Licensed manufacturer of ammunition and reloading components other than ammunition for destructive devices and armor piercing ammunition.
    Must also register with the Department Of State under the ITAR Current registration costs start at $2,250 per year.[1]

Type 7 Title 1 manufacturer of firearms and ammunition, who may also act as dealer; may not manufacture or deal in destructive devices, ammunition for destructive devices, or armor piercing ammunition. Must also register with the Department Of State under the ITAR Current registration costs start at $2,250 per year. Can also manufacture & deal in Title II NFA firearms with class 2 tax stamp.
    Type 8 Importer of Title 1 firearms and ammunition. Can also import Title II NFA firearms with class 1 tax stamp.
    Type 9 Dealer in firearms, including destructive devices, ammunition for destructive devices, and armor piercing ammunition. Requires payment as an SOT Class 1 (can act as an NFA Dealer). To deal/broker any DD with an explosives content (e.g. flash-bangs) requires an additional Federal Explosives License[2] as a Dealer of High Explosives.
    Type 10 Manufacturer of firearms, ammunition and ammunition components, manufacturer of destructive devices, ammunition for destructive devices, and armor piercing ammunition; may also deal in all of the aforementioned items. Requires payment as an SOT Class 2 (can act as an NFA Dealer). To manufacture any DD with an explosives content (e.g. flash-bangs) requires an additional FEL[3] as a Type 20 Manufacturer of High Explosives.
    Must also register with the Department Of State under the ITAR Current registration costs start at $2,250 per year.

Type 11 Importer of firearms, ammunition, destructive devices, ammunition for destructive devices, and armor piercing ammunition; may also deal in all the aforementioned items. Requires payment as an SOT Class 1 and registration with the U.S. Department of State as a Broker under ITAR/D-TRADE. To import any DD with an explosives content (e.g. flash-bangs), requires an additional FEL[4] as an Importer of High Explosives.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  16. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

It goes way beyond what c3 states. You get into general import/export regulations, tariffs, etc. Thus, why those that are legally able to import firearms into the US do it by quantity. It simply doesn't pay to import single or even small quantities of guns, or most anything for that matter, into the country for sale.

17. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

Thanks c3shooter, that explains a lot. I wouldn't be selling the firearms. I would just pick up a few for myself but obviously that wont be happening. Thanks for all the info everyone.