Importance of grammar

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by freefall, Nov 17, 2011.

1. freefall

freefall New Member

A few weeks ago I dared comment on someones sloppy grammar and got roundly chastised. But proper grammar is important.
    It's the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
    Maybe that doesn't matter to you.:eek:

2. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I am in total agreement.

Sincerely,

Uncle Jack.

P.S.
    Thanks for your help with the horse. Can you help me with the mule next week?

Seriously though, I agree with you, it is very difficult to follow a post that does not follow conventional English grammar. It drives me crazy!

3. freefall

freefall New Member

You tie the mules legs and I'll twist its tail while you do the deed. Any time Uncle Jack.:)

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Some blame it on their i-phones and auto-correct.

Having an i-phone myself, I have to say that is not the reason for bad grammer.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Our society has gotten so incredibly dumbed down. Text speak is the norm with many people under 35. The importance of proper written communication cannot be emphasized enough. I deal with reports from officers that do not have the first clue about grammar. I will wash a rookie faster for poor report writing than almost anything else. It is easy to document with cut and paste and almost impossible to deny.

6. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

My GRAMMAR...SUCKS BAD...then some.........:eek:

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUtSazFb5qM]Kingpin--cow milk - YouTube[/ame]

8. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

I am under 35 and this drives me insane. The part that annoys me most is, 90% of current phone models have a full keyboard. Yet, people still are too lazy to type a complete word. for example... "yea" in stead of "yeah". Is our generation so lazy that it cannot type one extra letter while a full keyboard is literally at your fingertips?

9. winds-of-change

When I text it is grammatically correct. I do sometimes goof up hitting the right keys when spelling but it's not that I don't know how to spell, it's just that my finger may hit the key next to the one I'm aiming for. One time I was driving and I had my friend send a text to my daughter. The texter friend used 'text speak' and my daughter sent me back a text saying "Are you drunk?" because I never text like that.

10. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Lol. Tapping an incorrect key is understandable. When it is blatantly done... it makes me crazy. Plus the fact that people are now verbally using the "o.m.g" and "w.t.f". Really?!? Auto correct and spell check are a wonderful design... shame not many use it.

11. winds-of-change

I once was talking to a co-worker about a problem we were trying to resolve in Blood Bank. I asked her what medications the patient was on and what was the patient's admitting diagnoses. Her answer........"IDK". I'm serious. I gave her this look........:eek:

12. Vincine

Vincine New Member

English cartoons

A most interesting collection of cartoons on grammar & word choice can be found here:

Comics :: Grammar - The Oatmeal

(Maybe it should be a sticky? ;))

13. dmp

dmp New Member

I posted this on another forum 8 years ago - still applies:

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i am no english major by any means, but do try to say what i mean so that i may be understood. i will at least try to be legible and sound like i have some intelligence. i ain't perfeck, but aim to tri to bee!:D

15. opaww

opaww New Member

Don't like how I say something then don't read it. It's a free country and you can do as you please just like me.

16. dmp

dmp New Member

We don't read what you say. Maybe you should have used "Don't like how I WRITE something, then don't read it!"

Might have been more-clear that way.

:eek::rolleyes::p:D

17. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

LOL!!! :D I surmise if we were to return to this country a
    hundred years from now we wouldn't be able to understand English.

18. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

This thread brings teh lulz. :D

19. Vincine

Vincine New Member

"I have nothing but contempt for anyone who can spell a word only one way." Attributed to Thomas Jefferson, among others.

20. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

(i) do see what you mean. ;)