Imagine...

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by AusLach, Dec 8, 2010.

1. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Today marks thirty years since one of the greatest song-writers of all time was gunned down at the entrance to The Dakota, NYC.

RIP John Winston Ono Lennon

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I wouldn't go that far but John Lennon was an idiot and anti-American.

3. Greebo

Greebo New Member

so what? It's possible to appreciate someones music without caring or supporting their politics, I still enjoy U2's music but will change the channel if I see Bono prattling on about anything other then his music - isn't 30 yrs a bit long to be caring a grudge against anyone?

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'm not holding a grudge, I just think he was an idiot.

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

If we boycotted musicians & actors for their political views - there would be nearly nobody left to watch or listen to. Sadly, the entertainment industry is painfully liberal and probably always will be (exactly like our bastions of higher education). I watch their programs, listen to their music - and totally ignore their left wing ramblings...

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I am going to go ahead and side with Spitty on this one. I don't think deleting the post is warranted, but the living flesh value of this person as a man and his clearly Anti American Manifesto, all the while counting stacks of American Currency, could be measured in the volume it takes to fill the inside mass of a Cherrio.

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

My favorite musician in the whole world, one that I've loved since I was 12 would probably be very much not liked on this forum. In fact, I may never tell who it is as it juuust might get me banned for life. :(

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Yep, thanks for some groovy tunes. We listened to the Beatles almost daily on the 45 minute school bus ride in high school. We even listened to the White Album in government class (studying Manson court case).

9. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Regardless of his political affiliation, or his beliefs, I think all of us would be hard pressed to find a musician we listen to that was not influenced by him.

He and the Beatles changed music. RIP Lennon.

10. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Geez, wasn't quite expecting some of that... I sure as hell wasn't advocating what he preached, and I agree, his ideologies were downright stupid, but regardless of all that the bloke could sing; and noone deserves to be gunned down in the street outside their home.

Him and his mates changed music forever, and for that, I am thankful that he lived.

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

NO

Can you say Jane Fonda?

Attached Files:

12. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If I can hold a grudge against Fonda, my ex-wife, and sister-in-law, then

NO

13. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

What are you, riding the "Peace Train".:eek: You must be a "Hard Headed Woman", you can go ahead, "If You Want To Sing Out" beacuase "Morning Has Broken" on your "Moon Shadow". After all it's a "Wild World" and "I'm gonna get me a Gun" and sit in the "Silent Sunlight" sniffing "BanApple Gas".

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You don't need to tell us........just blink if I get it right.

Neil Diamond?
    Robin Gibb?
    Barry Manilow?
    ABBA?
    Rod Stewart?
    :p:p

15. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

He was so anti American but yet he chose to live there. If he was part of this Forum he could have defended himself. He was a victim of his own pacifisim. "I know my spelling sucks" Having said that his music was A1. Sadly it is the ultimate lesson in reality.

16. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I'm thinking Elvis.

17. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Thanks for starting this thread, and I agree with you completely.

I have really fond memories of The Beatles and they are my favorite band of all time, not even close. But the music I love is the Lennon-McCartney and Harrison music.....not the more radical stuff Lennon wrote after The Beatles broke up.

Did I agree with his politics and peace-love preachings? Hell no. His music? Hellz yeah.

18. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Surely not MJ?:eek:

19. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

No to all.