Im starting to like 1911's

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by rurak, Sep 9, 2012.

1. rurak

rurak New Member

So I've never really considered a 1911 but the more of them I see the more I like them. What would be a good starter 1911 in the 500$ and under range?

2. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Don't get a $500 1911 cause once you get one youll start seeing that in the 1911 field its all about quality. Go with a colt xse or a 70s series you can pick them up in the mid 700 range. But if money is absolutley tight go with a uramax its a company made by colt. Only bax tbing is u cant upgrade your sights....n why get a 1911 if you havr no sights.

3. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Springfield Mil Spec is just a hair more expensive than that limit. Springfield has the best warranty in the market!

Only thing with a low budget for 1911, is that you really want to shoot a BUNCH of ammo through a new 1911, which could cost a couple hundred dollars more.

And if you buy used, you REALLY have to buy a Springfield.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Sig, how many 1911's have you owned? how many RIA or American Classics have you owned or shot? so are you saying that a RIA or an American Classic or a High Standard 1911 are not well made and quality pistols? my American Classic is able to use the same parts as my SA or my Remington R1. my first American Classic had over 5000 rounds through it with not one failure or problem. so how is not a quality pistol and i paid less than $500 for it? please elaborate your reasoning on this.

5. MrWray

MrWray New Member

This 1911 has had 3k rounds through it without any malfunctions or problems what so ever.

And no its not a colt..........its a High Standard

Paid $500 NIB

20120810_094932-1.jpg

6. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

You could get a Rock Island or one of the ARMSCOR guns. They have a lot of happy owners. However, I think you would be better served with another couple hundred dollars and hitting the used market. There is a lot of value to be had out there. Used Colts or Springfields would be a good place to start.
    I found a used Dan Wesson for $699 about a year ago. Nothing against the Philippine guns, but I'd much rather have the used DW. YMMV.

7. Axxe55

there are some really good 1911's in the $500 range. the RIA, the High Standard, MetroArms American Classic, ect..... Overkill had some good suggestions as to also looking at a good used one as an option. but also you can spend a little more and get a Remington R1, possibly the Ruger SR1911 or even a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec GI model. sometimes if you look around, you might find a used Colt for a decent price.

8. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Colt is something u pass on to your kid and he passes to his kid. i own a sig, i owned a colt, taurus, and ac and i felt the quality of the colt over all. You would have to shot it to understand, also an xse from colt is made for combat. You can submerge it whatever u want and will shoot everytime

9. Axxe55

Sig, what makes you think i have never owned a Colt or shot one? how many 1911's have you owned in your lifetime Sig? i have owned a few Colt !911's over the years, and plan on a few more in the future. so i can probably make a better comparison of a Colt to a less expensive 1911 than you. also i don't baby my 1911's by any means, but nor do i abuse them either.

Colt is the original 1911 and everyone else's 1911, irregardless of how well it's made is still a copy of the Colt. Colt is the benchmark when it comes to 1911's because they are the original maker. there are several that even exceed the Colt in function and accuracy, but at a price. several come to mind, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk Custom, Les Baer, ect.... but Colt is the standard to which all others are measured by when it comes to 1911's.

10. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I refered the uramax as a low end. .proly tbe only low end one id go with

11. Axxe55

so are you suggesting that RIA, MetroArms, and High Standard are low end pistols that are to be avoided? please clarify your reasons on this. as i am very interested to hear your opinions on these pistols.

also the Umarex 1911 isn't made by Colt, and is made in Turkey and imported by Umarex. and according to their website, seems as all 1911 parts and accessories will interchange with the Regent 1911.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  12. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

Do you mean the Umarex 45 that's made in Turkey? The 22's they import are German but the 45 is Turkish according to their website. I've had nothing but good luck with the RI's, worked on a few Metro' s also. There are a few well priced, well built 45's on the market these days. It's like anything else what do you want to do with it and how much of the attraction is in the name. Colt is a great pistol, not everyone can afford one, I can and do, but I'm not willing to lay out a Hugh sum for another. I shot my RI the most these days, taught my son to shoot a 1911 on it, some day I'll give him the Colt, but for now the RI does the job just fine.

13. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I could be wrong it may br regent, i am no expert i can only refef what ive experienced

14. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

And i know that colt, kimber and sig hold there value alot better than ria or the other lower end models

15. Axxe55

so Sig what is your experiance with the 1911? how many have you owned in your lifetime? and what are you basing that experiance from?

and how do you know that Colt, Kimber and Sig hold their value better? what are you basing this from? i can tell you what any item is worth. what someone is willing pay for it.

16. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

Actually the way sales are going right now, I'd rather invest in several of the the "lower end" 45's as they are actually going up in price. An RIA you buy today for 500 my be worth more in the not to distant future but at this time the used aren't selling for dramatically less than the new, especially when compared to used versus new for say.... Kimber.

17. Axxe55

exactly, my point on this. i know what i paid for my AC II about two years ago and what they go for new and used now, and even used they are more than i paid for mine new. taking nothing away from Colt, SA, Kimber, Sig or any other higher priced 1911's on the market, the RIA, the MetroArms and others are far from being crappy or inferior in quality 1911's by any means. and by availability of some of the affordable, they must be doing pretty good as i had to wait a month and a half for my new one to arrive. so if they were such crappy guns, why is there such a huge demand for them and why are the prices increasing? because they aren't crappy pistols, just affordable.

18. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Cane help me out here

19. Axxe55

you stepped into this hole! i respect Cane's opinions as much as anyone and he has his own opinions on pistols in general and 1911's in specific. his opinions are based in fact and experiance, just as i and others are. granted Can has more experiance and has probably owned more of them i have, but i am not a stranger to the 1911 platform by any means. so if you want to start throwing out opinions and making recommendations on firearms, you had better be able to back up those statements with facts rather than just things you read other people said about something. that's how internet rumours get started and most are some self proclaimed "expert" stating nonsense that can usually found to be false or misleading. so do you want to discuss the merits of affordable 1911's? maybe some of us here who have these "low end" 1911's can enlighten you as to how good they really are.

another question that comes to mind, if you are praising the Colt so highly, then why did you sell yours? just curious.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  20. rurak

rurak New Member

Thanks for everyones advice. I forgot to say I will only consider amerian made :)