Im ready for fall. Had enough of the summer heat already.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by PaBushMan, Jun 29, 2020 at 7:56 PM.

1. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

To darn hot to go shoot and hike lately. Im getting cabin fever lol. It's the one thing i could do with the covid 19 restrictions. Ok rant over for now. :D

2. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Hell Bushman, grab some water and Gatorade and get going :)

alsaqr and PaBushMan like this.

3. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

if it's anything where I am, NE Ohio, you only have to wait 2 months before the weather starts to turn cold then winter until next may

boatme98, Pasquanel and PaBushMan like this.
  4. PaBushMan

Yes good idea on the gatoraide. I need to run to lowes while the wife is at the dentist. Then ill run across the street to wallyword for some G2. I did some redneck plumbing tonight. Bath drain kept clogging. Snake wouldn't move it. So i saws all'd the cast pipe to get the elbow trap out. Found a bottle cap in it. So some fernco's ill slap it back together. Probably saved a 100 bucks in plumber fees.

winds-of-change and Rifling82 like this.
  5. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

100 bucks????:confused: you must think it's 1970-something. 100 bucks is what it'll cost you just for him to come through your threshold

winds-of-change and MisterMcCool like this.
  6. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

It's been pretty nice 'round here, in my neck o' the woods, since mid-March or so. Which is right about time the iron curtain dropped on everyone. And now the days are getting shorter and shorter. Bummer.

Have only had a handful of days above 90ºF. Mostly, it's been in the 70s to mid-80s. Nights have been comfortably cooler, generally sub-70 even sub-60. Nice, all around.

Thankfully, humidity hasn't been a bear.

My one big question, since early last year: Where the heck are all of the mosquitoes? I've noticed no bats, for example, in a good 18mos, and only a dozen or so of the skeeters flitting about. Rare to see one, anymore. I wonder if some plague's hit them all, or if the genetics breeding tweaks they've started have finally had an impact. (Gotta wonder what the "hit" on the food chain will be, if the bio-load drops enough.) Anyway, I'm not complaining about not getting nipped by skeeters, I can say that much.

boatme98 and PaBushMan like this.
  7. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Sweat was rolling off me at work last night. Supposed to be hotter rest of week.
    Work w molten metal.
    Wiped me out last night.
    Turkey season should go right to deer season ( May, October......screw summer )

PaBushMan likes this.
  8. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Active Member

I kinda like summer here...no snow! We spend half of the year typically with temps below freezing, and a good many days below zero. I enjoy it from late spring to early fall. Moving south in a few weeks, might not enjoy summer quite as much then...but winter will be just about right!

winds-of-change likes this.
  9. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Active Member

I lived in southern Arizona for several years...it is never too hot to shoot! :) Hiking might be another story though...

alsaqr, PaBushMan and boatme98 like this.
  10. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

I'm no fan of summer heat but now that I don't travel with the seasons it's surely better than anything below 55°-60°!
    A/C is cheaper than heat! :D

Sniper03 and PaBushMan like this.
  11. PaBushMan

A little relief today it looks like. Im planning on zeroing 2 rifles this eve,

AgedWarrior, Rifling82 and boatme98 like this.
  12. G66enigma

This morning's fairly humid, though temps only in the mid-70s. Thunderstorms are coming in two or three hours. Ugly-looking, at this point, but we'll see. Hopefully the humidity goes, once the front comes through. (Can't stand lots of humidity.)

Which reminds me: It's time to eval ceiling fans and a reliable/reputable vendor to do the install. Should have done it early in the year, but there it is.

13. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

I can go inside to escape the heat - our horses can't. Really feel sorry for them: fans only do so much. Same with hose-downs. And the flies! For the next few days at least we get a break from the humidity. At least summer brings out the local deer and - most importantly - their fawns. Saw a total of six adults (five does and one young buck) and two fawns this AM. In my front yard. Great feeling!

boatme98, winds-of-change and alsaqr like this.
  14. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Bingo. It's never too hot to shoot or hunt wild hogs. A local family needed some meat so i killed a big fat sow in the 100F heat. Had the hog field dressed, skinned and delivered within three hours.

Just drink lots of water and Gator Aide.

15. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

That would be unbearable. Drink lots of water.
    It’s always hot in the summer here in Oklahoma.
    But I come from Northern Illinois and I sure like the winters here.

AgedWarrior and alsaqr like this.
  16. G66enigma

Was recently in the mid-90s with lots of humidity. On a day I decided to polish the car's paint. Even with a DA/RO polishing machine, it took about 7hrs total, including final sealing. (Hadn't ever done the deep polishing, on this car.) Drank far more than a gallon, blended with pomegranate juice and electrolytes, stopping mid-way for a meal. Whew! Time to seal with another coat, soon, but that'll go fast (apply, haze, then wipe to remove residue; probably ~1hr total.)

Not exactly working with metal, but still. Temps + humidity can wipe you out.

AgedWarrior likes this.
  17. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Pretty hot here in Tennessee the last week. And we have had a lot of rain here which increases the humidity. I went out yesterday to feed the birds and animals. Was out about 15-20 minutes in the Sun and sweat running down into my eyes and shirt wet. I'm with Pa! Spring and Fall for me!
    Even the winters here are not that unbearable.
    But if in the high heat and humidity drink plenty of water and I recommend Gatorade! Never use to drink it until at Quantico during a Sniper School I was sicker than a dog by noon on Wednesday. One of the guys said we will be breaking for lunch soon. You need go down the road to the store on the corner about 3 miles away and get some Gatorade. I had been drinking water off and on all morning. But my body was screaming for electrolytes evidently? After I drank the first half of the bottle. My stomach cramps stopped and I felt much better! So that was my lesson with Gatorade. Today I keep some in the Garage Refrig. for hot weather. So PA as they said, if you haven't yet go get you some! Works wonders in hot weather!

ellis36 likes this.
  18. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

As Sniper03 related, when working or playing hard in hot weather, water alone won't do it: Got to replace the lost electrolytes.

Spent 7 years working in middle east deserts. We used Rehydrate. It's a more potent electrolyte drink than Gatorade. Rehydrate comes in powder form, a packet is mixed into a 1/2 liter bottle of water.

PaBushMan and ellis36 like this.
  19. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

I live right across the ridge from the cave the indiana bat migrates to and my many call home. Usually the air in the evening is filled with bats chasing down bugs.
    Last two years I have maybe seen four bats.
    I dislike the middle of summer. Spring fall winter is all good. Mid summer it's to hot to fish , or do much of anything else.

Unlike most folks my ac costs much more than heat. Heat with wood so electric bill is very low in winter.

PaBushMan and boatme98 like this.
  20. PaBushMan

Got the rifles zeroed in. My 30.06 is having an issue with cast though. Flyers in an 8in spread. Maybe the heat? Last time i shot cast was in the winter. Before it was dead on with those loads. FMJ;S It's right on. The mauser is right on with my loads. The former owners loads it's on center but high about 6 inches. My loads are just light target loads. 13 grains of green dot. 150 grain .311 speer bullet. This eve a hike with the pooches is on order.

Rifling82 and AgedWarrior like this.