I'm reading that 1911s aren't worthy service pistols.

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by p35bhp55, Aug 2, 2014.

1. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

I've read stuff recently, sometimes written by folks who should know better that 1911s are just antique range toys and need to be under glass somewhere. Crap. What bugs me most about this is I would like folks to define a 1911. I have six pistols that are 1911ish but only one that is. My GSG/ Sig .22, not even close. ARMSCOR compact, where is the rest of the gun and the barrel bushing. Delta Elite, closer still but Series 80 and some non spec parts and a double spring 1991A1, closer still but another Series 80 and some plastic where it shouldn't be. S&W 1911, nope. Beavertail, full length guide rod and I haven't even looked at what else. Finally 1917 Black Army 1911 and we have a winner.
    My rambling point is if you have an altered gun or MIM parts of a plastic or alloy frame or a double stack mag...or god forbid one of those double barrels abortions it ain't a 1911. I like my big sights and am very comfortable with Series 80 and am not about to strip my guns of their mods but when people have the nerve to run down one of the best pistols ever to fit a hand they ought to know what they are talking about. Not suggesting we all worship at the 1911 altar or even the .45, my personal favorite is and always will be the P35 just much harder to find these days.

2. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

My ignorance in the differnces stated here is probably THE THING that makes some folks say the things they do, Not knowing the difference. I am NOT a handgunner, but the 1911A1 has been around a long time with some improvements made to the feed, ejection, and trigger function without substancialy changing the look, and safety of the weapon. That tells me if I were to get one in good physical shape, with some tlc and some $ I could have a first rate handgun that should reliably protect me and mine.

3. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

If you name the source, a serious discussion may become possible.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i certainly don't consider any of mine to be antique range guns by any means. mine are most definitely used for SD purposes. mine are accurate and reliable and i trust them.

unless i'm mistaken, are the Colt 1911 and 1911A1 not the most copied pistol designs ever?

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I have a couple 1911s that have all the forged parts. One was built from the frame up to be used for Service pistol target matches. Do the one big cosmetic thing about it is the target sights which wouldn't stand up to hard use. The pistol has run every type if ammo I've fed it flawlessly, including aggressive hollow points. The frame, slide, barrel, bushing and trigger are very tightly fitted. I doubt it would do well with a lot of dirt exposure. But that is not what I built it for.

My other is a Springfield Armory frame and slide with all the parts selected to be more of a "combat" philosophy in mind. I did actually torture test it alongside my Glock and Beretta. The areas that caused the 1911 to choke were dirt access into the trigger bow, races, and around the hammer and down into the area of the sear. Also dirt between the hammer and rear of the slide can prevent firing. Dirt also made its way in around the grip safety. The Beretta seemed to have dirt and grit shake out easier. The Glock seemed to not allow as much dirt in, and still functioned longer once dirt did get in.

Combat weapons all require maintenance. The 1911 survives harsh conditions. It has some intricacies in its trigger system and that unnecessary grip safety that make it a bit more vulnerable to dirt than some more modern designs. Handguns are secondary weapons, and if maintained, should work fine.

For modern military logistics, the requirement for many 1911 parts to need hand fitting is not as practical as some modern designs which can have replacement parts and modules just dropped in.

6. trigger643

trigger643 New Member

Antique 1911 range toy?

Sure, I've got one of those. I've also got the most recent entry into the .45 arena, one American Rifleman heralded as a 'perfect 10' on a recent cover (and more than a few reviewers and owners tend to agree).

Why would this evolutionary progress be a problem?

[​IMG]

7. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

I have seen a fairly new plastic mainspring housing crack.

Also saw a series 80 stick the firing pin fwd (on the last shot in practice).
    Later when chambering a round to shoot a stage, it went off (safely pointed downrange).

It was converted to series 70 after that.

My Commander (Series 90) has been flawless. But I swapped out the plastic MS housing for a Pachmayr arched, run a Wilson guidreod and Hogue slabs. Trigger is light, and came that way.
    10K+ and zero issues.

Do forget what # my recoil spring is. Heavy one. Proly due for a change. CMC, Wilson and Colt mags............never a problem. I shoot some reloads my dad does, and my carry stuff is 230 SXT
    (or whatever the newest version is called).

I have tried the SIG 220 in a couple of versions, don't care for it.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  8. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

Ignore them. There is a reason, a hundred years after it's introduction, the 1911 is the most copied pistol in history.

9. Axxe55

yep, this guy thinks they suck!

but i don't put much credibility in his opinions anymore. he's an idiot!:mad:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYEd-3iy4QM[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfJj90eNIfE[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lsA4KVPbew[/ame]

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

In my opinion, a 1911 still draws more respect and admiration than some polymer job.

If the gun is past its prime, then why is it still the choice of so many in the military?

I don't know your source, but fiction, if repeated enough, becomes the supposed "truth".

11. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

There are better .45 handguns out there than the 1911, just like there are better 9mm handguns than the Browning high power. They are classic handguns that still do the job, the 1911 low mag cap is a major drawback for todays military it would be a backward step to adopt a firearm with half the mag cap of its replacement. There are of course .45 handguns with larger mag cap, including 1911/s. Is it the handgun or the calibre that the military allegedly have an issue with.

12. Axxe55

funny thing is, the military is re-adopting the 1911 platform to a small degree. the USMC has been buying Colt 1911's for for a couple of years now. they are even buying more and have contracts to buy more 1911's in the future.

13. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I'd have to agree with post #2. I'm not very versed in 1911's, but I sure do like them. The closest and only exposure I've ever had to them is the SIG p938, which I own. So, I've never dealt with the traditional 1911 drawbacks, which they have, no doubt. But if someone offered a 1911, and said "run", I'd sure as hell be glad to take it, and a big box of 45 ACP.

Now, anyone who thinks they are "antique range toys" may or may not be right, based on it's age, but they and that guy in the video can all feel free to send any they have my way. If anyone needs the address, PM me.:D

14. manta

I know and don't understand why. I think its more to do with the history of the 1911 than picking the best handgun for the military. If they want a .45 handgun there are plenty to choose from. If the replacement has a 7 round mag capacity it could cost soldiers lives. Changing magazines when bullets are coming your way is best avoided if possible.

15. Axxe55

i seriously doubt that the military going back to the 1911 has anything to do with the history of the 1911. simply because there are many pistols in 45 acp that have much higher capacity than the 1911 if capacity were the issue.

16. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The 1911 design holds its own in one aspect: the trigger action. It is linear, not hinged. It is still the fastest trigger system you can have in a mass production handgun. If you like rapid firing, you will like the 1911.

The other reason to like the 1911 is that the design is handsome and pedigreed.

Compared to the Glock, it is like a BMW vis-a-vis a Toyota. Neither is "better", it's just good they both exist for us.

17. manta

I was thinking more about some units that have adopted the 1911. If they don't like the 9mm then as you say there are plenty of other .45 handguns to choose from.

18. Axxe55

they haven't adopted the 1911. it was put into service in 1911. i am pretty sure that some of the inventory of 1911's in the military are still sitting in storage somewhere.

they may have re-adopted it back into certain units and the USMC is starting to use it more than they have in the past, so they are buying more of them from Colt. the new Colt 1911's that they are buying have features that were present in past 1911's they had.

19. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have two 1911s. I have a 5" Citidel and a Ruger SR1911 Commander. The only thing I don't like about either one of them is...the opinions of ignorant people.

20. manta

There is no point in posing on an internet forum, if you doint like opinions ignorant or other. :)