Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am turning 18 soon, and with the money I get once I get a job I want to get a tactical Mini-14.

Ill be using it mainly for recreation/target shooting, but will also be used for defense if needed.

Heres my questions:

1. Is this a good one to get?
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/images/Products/437L.jpg
2. Im wanting a .223. What brand of ammo should I use?
3. What maintenance will I need to do and how often?

Anything else I should know about this gun? Any recommendations as to optics/accessories?

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!!

Save your money and buy a good .223 AR! Not that I wasn't lured into the Mini-14 myself (due to cost) but for just a little more you can have a very nice AR. Look around this forum and you will find many who have built their own!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the Forum!!

Save your money and buy a good .223 AR! Not that I wasn't lured into the Mini-14 myself (due to cost) but for just a little more you can have a very nice AR. Look around this forum and you will find many who have built their own!!
I would love an AR. But theres so many to choose from from what Ive read.

and I really love the traditional rifle look and I want a gun that looks like an M14.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am turning 18 soon, and with the money I get once I get a job I want to get a tactical Mini-14...

Anything else I should know about this gun? Any recommendations as to optics/accessories?
You're welcome to take this with a pinch of salt, as I'm a noob on this forum, but I've owned 2 of these. Well, actually one was a "ranch rifle" but it's basically the same gun, and while both never had an FTF, I can't say I'd recommend one to anyone.

Yes, the action is tough, and it's reliable. The only way you should bother getting any optics is if you're first willing to restock and rebarrel the rifle. The barrel on these rifles leaves a bit to be desired in the accuracy and repeatability department. If you're set on having a Mini14, then by all means go for it, but be aware that unless you're willing to wait 5 minutes between each shot while sighting in that 3x9 to let the barrel cool and return to its natural position, you're going to get frustrated quickly.

The other major problem I had, particularly with the Ranch Rifle I had with the fancy green laminate stock, was that it flung the brass over 10 yards, and put a perfect heart-shaped crimp in the neck of every expended case. It destroyed the brass.

Maybe I got unlucky with both rifles, but I've heard similar complaints from other owners.

There's plenty of options to make a real tack driver out of a Mini 14, but it does cost$$$.

I'm just tossing in my .02 here, and you're welcome to disagree, but if money's an issue, and you want something to have fun plinking with I'd say go get an SKS in decent shape. If money's no object and you have to have the Ruger, then by all means grab one and tweak it to make it your own. I just don't recall ever talking to anyone who liked their's right out of the box.

YMMV
-Matthew

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're welcome to take this with a pinch of salt, as I'm a noob on this forum, but I've owned 2 of these. Well, actually one was a "ranch rifle" but it's basically the same gun, and while both never had an FTF, I can't say I'd recommend one to anyone.

Yes, the action is tough, and it's reliable. The only way you should bother getting any optics is if you're first willing to restock and rebarrel the rifle. The barrel on these rifles leaves a bit to be desired in the accuracy and repeatability department. If you're set on having a Mini14, then by all means go for it, but be aware that unless you're willing to wait 5 minutes between each shot while sighting in that 3x9 to let the barrel cool and return to its natural position, you're going to get frustrated quickly.

The other major problem I had, particularly with the Ranch Rifle I had with the fancy green laminate stock, was that it flung the brass over 10 yards, and put a perfect heart-shaped crimp in the neck of every expended case. It destroyed the brass.

Maybe I got unlucky with both rifles, but I've heard similar complaints from other owners.

There's plenty of options to make a real tack driver out of a Mini 14, but it does cost$$$.

I'm just tossing in my .02 here, and you're welcome to disagree, but if money's an issue, and you want something to have fun plinking with I'd say go get an SKS in decent shape. If money's no object and you have to have the Ruger, then by all means grab one and tweak it to make it your own. I just don't recall ever talking to anyone who liked their's right out of the box.

YMMV
-Matthew
Thanks for your opinion. I really appreciate it. Maybe Ill look into something else.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
As far as AR's go. Bushmaster, DPMS, RRA, and the other name brands will serve your purpose. It is true that the prices on ARs are going up, although, building one from the ground up may save you quite a bit of money. From what I can tell, if you want to do a build, this forum is a good place for information.

Welcome, HJ

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
WELCOME clamber, glad to have you aboard!

I tend to stay away from guns with mini in their name!

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
Welcome to the Forum - I would second, or perhaps 5th, what has been said above. The Mini-14 is a travesty that should have NEVER left the drawing board.

I could go on and on about it's inadequacies, but the guys get tired of hearing my rant on this subject, so I digress - but in a few simple words...

It's not accurate under sustained fire, it's not as reliable as other units and it's not something I would bet my life on...

JD

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ive decided to get this:

It will be a decent first gun and I will be able to upgrade it over time.

A few questions:

1. What maintanance do I have to do on it and how often.
2. Where can I get decent bulk .223 ammo?
3. Where can I get upgrade parts for it?

·
Registered
962 Posts
good cheap ammo would be wolf.and for aftermarket parts try cheaper than dirt

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
canebrake posted:Noob!!!!!How can you stay away from a minigun????
By calling it by it's correct name; M134D! Noob!!!!!

And I'm guessing you need some more CLIPS for your tupperware gun, right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would you guys recommend this gun?

Also, is there a special type of .223 that I have to use or are all .223s the same?

·
Registered
962 Posts
all .223 is the same

·
Registered
227 Posts
welcome to the forum!!!
i bought a mini-30 awhile back, and am pretty happy with it. i bought it more as a plinker/fun gun and havent been disapointed. with the mini 14 i have heard quite a few people invest in the .22 conversion kit, to help offset some of the "problems" of the firearm and keep ammo cost down. if not, the ammo of choice in my area right now is the PMC Bronze, seems like good ammo to me. it was explained to me that their some are differences in the .223 ammo case sizes, but come down to thousandths of an inch. my new rifle is chambered in 5.56 Nato, but the manual and dealer said it would handle other .223 just fine, and so far i havent noticed any difference.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Welcome!
I have two mini 14 one is stainless steel with a Butler Creek folding stock and the other is a ranch gun. Both shoot well and while you hear a lot of bad, for the money they are good rifles. The heat issue comes with sustained fire (a lot of rounds shot quickly). I have 30 round mags for mine and can put them on target 1-30 using a short burst (three rounds) and no need to wait for the rifle to cool. It's a fun affordable rifle to shoot.

I also own two AR's and while they are a far better rifles they cost twice as much so it comes down to use and care. If your going to plink and use it for home defense a mini will be fine. If you want to blow through 500 rounds in fifteen minutes or less the get an AR.

Either choice stick with the .223 round.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So Ive been looking at ARs and theyre just too much money.

If Im just going to be target shooting then the Mini-14 should be good right?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
So Ive been looking at ARs and theyre just too much money.

If Im just going to be target shooting then the Mini-14 should be good right?
It's a good rifle so yes right.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts