im new to the ar world, looking for advice.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by glock219, Aug 30, 2012.

1. glock219

glock219 New Member

Like whats the top brands, is it better to build your own, and whats the best calibers to own.

2. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

Top brands - subjective, costly, many.
    Build your own - better to learn and understand the operation and mechanics of the weapon.
    Calibers - start with the standard .223/5.56 chamber and go from there.

Fortunately most quality AR components are trying to meet the 'mil spec' standards in the .223/5.56 size. I have no first hand knowledge of ARs in the 308/7.62 size, so I chant comment on them.

Get your feet wet before building that Olympic size pool. Your views may/will change.

3. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I've never built one but I hear that's the way to go if you're handy at all. From what I've read, it's not too hard. Others can tell what components are best.
    If you want to buy, there's a huge selection. I have an older Bushmaster that's great but I understand they are not too great quality wise now, Stag Arms makes a really nice one as well as S&W. There's more but these are the ones I know. As for caliber, I agree to start with the .223/5.56 and get other uppers in calibers that interest you as you go.
    Good luck!

4. okdonk

okdonk New Member

One advice... Get ready to get BRD ;)

5. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

I would look at stag arms , smith and wesson or Palmetto state armory for a nice out of the box a.r. as far as building your own, skys the limit..or should I say how deep do your pockets go.

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

They are like the barbie doll for men , so much to dress it in its unbelievable , AND!!!!!
    You can have just one :D

7. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Build your own for sure. It is easy and rewarding. Check the stickies at the top of this sub forum for the skinny. There are several advantages to building your own. They are:

1. You know your rifle from top to bottom
    2. You will have the satisfaction of having built it yourself (It's easy, trust me).
    3. You can build it as your budget dictates, one piece at a time or all at once.
    4. You can build it to your specs and not get a packaged rifle.
    5. Once you have built one, you will be the cool kid with your friends and mentor them in the process.

BEWARE: There is no known cure for EBR disease:eek:

8. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Building your own is it's own reward, but if you shop around, you might be able to build a high quality one for less than what it would cost to buy a similar quality AR. Just remember to take your time and build it right. And remember, it was originally designed to take a life. It doesn't care whose life it takes. As with all things mechanical, safety first.

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

10. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

My collection....get ready for brd! Build your own first. Or just go buy one! Just get ready for a new addiction.

ForumRunner_20120830_222226.jpg

ForumRunner_20120830_222248.jpg

ForumRunner_20120830_222322.jpg

ForumRunner_20120830_222343.jpg

ForumRunner_20120830_222426.jpg

ForumRunner_20120830_222504.jpg

11. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Tact's got it bad, could be terminal....

12. PC167

PC167 New Member

Nice job!!! :)

13. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Ty sir!!!!!!

14. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

And all it takes is one
    Everyone told me BRD was very very bad, especially for your wallet :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  15. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

nice... i can see myself aproaching that way too fast.. haha

16. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

SBRs..............drooooool

17. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Yes and worth it finally got my tax stamp on the 6th of July.

18. capnklump

capnklump New Member

Whats BRD?...... Nevermind, I just found it..... Black Rifle Disease. ;)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  19. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

For a newbie with a mortal budget, you really should start with a 5.56. You do want to be able to shoot it once in a while, right? And while I do own and love the $1200+ ARs, spending $600-900 is probably the ideal launching point for most folks. That's where I started as well, and I still get use out of that gun BTW. ARs are also easy to upgrade as your skills, knowledge, and expectations evolve.

Build vs Buy: Mostly what you gain in a build is knowledge and understanding. You're unlikley to save a ton of money, but you can save some. Builds offer greater rewards once you're well-versed enough to understand what level of quality and performance you expect out of each segment of your rifle...because you can essentially customize the rifle to your needs with the parts/brands you prefer.

Brands I like (just my admittedly biased preferences at these price points)
    Under $800: S&W, PSA, Del-Ton
    $800-1000: Spikes, Stag, S&W
    $1000-1400: BCM, Daniel Defense

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012