I'm new to AR's, should i go lefty or am I overthinking it?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by mayscat44, Sep 8, 2012.

1. mayscat44

mayscat44 New Member

I've caught the fever recently and now I MUST HAVE an AR15. I saw a beautiful Stag at my local shop for about $900. Then I did a little research on Stag and found out that the owner is a lefty and they make lefties. However I cannot find one and I have a feeling that if I order one that I'm gonna pay extra for the LH version. Is it even worth it? Am I overthinking it? I just thought that if I'm gonna drop almost $1000 on something then I should get what I want. Then again I've shot standard (RH) semi-auto rifles all my life, no problems...thanks guys

2. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I recently bought a LH bolt action. I like it, but I'm not sure I'd buy another. It provides me no more benefit over a RH one. (I have both in bolt action) Same goes for my Beretta CX4. It comes set up for RH, and is totally adjustable to LH, no parts needed. I haven't done it yet..........

One thing about a BA rifle with a thumbhole stock.........none of your RH buddies can/will shoot it........

3. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I'm a lefty. If I were buying a bolt action I wouldn't buy a LH model. If I were buying a DI AR style I would buy it LH. They expel a good amount gas out from the bcg and with a lefty using a RH rifle that is RIGHT in your face. Needless to say if you're looking at the model 8 (piston driven) I might not rush to get it LH. It's a few dollars more for an LH model and you bet you can spend that $$ more wisely (read as ammo, optics, other "needed" accessories).

I thought and thought about this when I was shopping my AR. I ended up with a PWS, which is a long stroke piston driven AR, there's a little bit of gases that you deal with but the bulk is expelled out the gas block. I added a Magpul BAD and i'm good to go. The shells NEVER hit me (well at least not in the face) as they're extracted and it's a bad *** rifle. Would a lefty version have been better? Maybe, but PWS doesn't make one only a small handful of manufacturers make a dedicated LH AR. And I don't k ow if I would have paid the up charge for it (usually its 10-15% more for a LH model).

Bottom line, for a DI rifle IMO its worth it to get the LH for a piston drive, not so much. Worst case is with a LH model you can tell your Friends they cant mess with it cuz they're righties.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

the only thing about left hand models is that some of the parts are properietary. getting spares if something breaks isnt fun several years down the road. a good right hand eject AR15 doesnt matter if its shot left or right. the ejection pattern of spent shells should be in the 12.30 to 1.30 arc. too far forward or back or bouncing off the case deflector and that particualr AR needs some attention as something is out of wack.

ive had lefties shoot my AR15's and remark how pleasent it is not having to worry about getting smacked by the ejected cases. most cheaply put together (nothing to do with price) AR15 do not function correctly. even though they are cycling 100%

get what you want. if you want a lefty go for it!! left handed AR15 sell surprisingly fast if you decide later to sell it.

5. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

For what its worth, I heard stag makes the best lefty ARs.

I'm a righty so I have no first hand experience....

6. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I would agree. They have great QC, their customer service is decent, And they have a lifetime warranty as well.