I'm looking to buy my first 1911 and prefer a commander, any suggestions?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Murfdog, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Murfdog

Murfdog New Member

Looking to buy my first 1911 prefer commander 4 or 4.25 in barrel.made in USA have about $900 to spend.Need some 1911 peoples opinion.

Thanks

Murfdog

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2010
  2. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011

3. ironsights

ironsights New Member

I have a number of 1911s and for me the best out of the box has been the Kimbers. I have never had any problems with them. I do have more expensive 1911s, but my Kimbers seem to shoot great.

4. ironsights

ironsights New Member

Great looking Springfield, the grips look great

5. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I think that's a stock photo. It seems to me that if you're willing to go with a Commander size (4.25"), you ought to stay away from the smaller sizes.

Especially if it is your first 1911.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I agree with Chris. The shorter ones need spring changes more often, and as with any shorter firearm, the sight radius is harder to work with.

The gun may be accurate as all get out, but you can become disappointed when the sight radius allows the groups to open up.

Go with the full size, get familiar with it, then get it a stable mate later.

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I heart my Kimber pro carry 2 4"

:)

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Really hate the word "best" because everything about a gun is subjective. Lots of choices in the $900 arena, especially if you consider used. I much prefer a bushed barrel and in a lot of 4" guns a bull barrel system is used. For a bushed barrel true Commander - go with a Colt.

This being said, I agree with the other folks that everyone's first 1911 should be a full-size model...

(Yup, I beat Cane to it!)

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I love my Kimber but some don't like the external extractor(Cane). It does have a bull barrel and that stupid little pin needed to break it down, the pin is the only real complaint I have about it. There are a bunch of good choices in your price range and if you don't mind a used gun you can find some in the next "level".

10. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

In the price range, Colt, SA, or Kimber. I am impressed with the Phillipine made RIA. They cost less and the one I bought is problem free -no quality issues.

11. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

I think the original colts are the best imo. I also like the springfield armory mil-specs, they are great base guns for projects. But the underdog of them all and the workhorse of my 1911 collection has to be the RIA tactical. Extremely well built and at a price that most anyone can afford.

12. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

Yeah, I'm getting in a 1911-buying mood too... But I'm not feeling in a hurry because I've kinda got my eyes and ears out for 2011 centennial editions which will probably be coming out over the next 6 months or so... I figure as long as I'm gonna spring the $ rather soon anyhow, I might as well get a special one which will hold a premium value for a very long time.

13. Zeitgheist1911

Zeitgheist1911 New Member

This is my Commander model...this is my baby. i rub it with a diaper everyday and kicked my fiance out of the bed. now it sleeps next to me.

Attached Files:

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

In the Commander size the Colt Lightweight is the way to go.

[​IMG]

NEW Colt XSE Commander .45 ACP O4012XSE 45 45ACP : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Colt O4012XSE Combat Commander 1911 .45 ACP 45ACP : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

If you want a steel gun go with the Colt SS Commander.

[​IMG]

COLT S/S 45ACP XSE COMMANDER : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Colt Combat Commander : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

If you want a full size get the Colt Government XSE.

[​IMG]

NEW Colt Government XSE Stainless 45acp 5" .45 nib : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Colt 1911 XSE Government Model Stainless : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

If you want a 2011 Commemorative there is only one!

The Colt Anniversary Model COO1911ANVIII (Or as I like to call it, The Canebrake Centennial 1911)

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/2011-centennial-edition-anyone-22523/#post285981

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. Zeitgheist1911

Zeitgheist1911 New Member

cane look at my commander above? what grips? the wood black silver? or the elk antler? look below.

Attached Files:

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I'm partial to stag: (Or rattlesnake!)

[​IMG]

Hands down, the ELK!! It'll make that blue Colt POP!

But then the black/silver would really look nice.....yea the black/silver!

No....the Elk Antler, yeah......the Elk.....or....

Get Both!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  17. Murfdog

Murfdog New Member

Thanks for all the input from eveyone.I have another question I know I'm talking about more money but what is everyones opinion about Fusion in the commander or even there officer models.Does this 1911 rate good for around $1500-$1700.Thanks

Murfdog

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

19. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Fusion is now owned by Bob Serva. He owned Dan Wesson before CZ got it. All pre-CZ DW's were well put together. I have a Fusion frame on one of mine. Bob is a dedicated individual and Customer Satisfaction seems to be a fine point with him.

I don't think you would be disappointed.

20. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

If you've upped the ante, take a look at the Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail. For years, it was underpriced and a sleeper. Now, they've gotten more expensive, but it's a hell of a pistol.

Link: CZ-USA -> DAN WESSON Commander Classic Bobtail