I'm looking for a great book on gun theory and how to shoot accurately.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Rockworthy, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Rockworthy

Rockworthy New Member

Hello gigantic gun forum! I just registered. I love guns and shooting, and actually grew up shooting and have many guns that I have just inherited. I want to get back into shooting. But now I'm an adult and have learned that having a really solid understanding of the basics, of any art form, is essential if you want to get really good at it.

What I'm looking for is a book on guns, rifles in particular, and what makes an accurate rifle, the concepts involved, and also some really in-depth information of how to be as accurate as I can. Can anyone suggest a book or two that would be an incredible resource for someone wanting to learn as much as they can about how to be a great shot?

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Not a book, but a good start- check if any ranges in your area are involved in "Project Appleseed".

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Accurizing the Factory Rifle - by McPherson I believe, will give you a great idea of what it takes to turn a factory rifle into more of a tack driver. Some of it is dated ( inserting a liquid filled vial into the stock to ease recoil is no longer used ) but it is well written and will give you some great pictures to go with the wisdom.

Ultimate Sniper by John Plaster is an excellent book on shooting, ballistics, scope settings ( cant, windage, elevation, lead, hold over, etc ) and will really teach you a lot about shooting a rifle.

I have both in my library and still open them from time to time just to double check things. ;)

JD