I'm Looking for a Compact 9mm, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by 9mmgun, Apr 23, 2011.

1. 9mmgun

9mmgun New Member

Hi all, I'm looking for the above as a carry weapon. So far I've looked at the Ruger SR9c & LC9.

Anyone have some experience with either of the above? Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I would recommend a Springer XDm-9 Compact, but I'm biased :)

[​IMG]

To date I have fired 573 rounds over 100 of which are Fiocchi Extrema 124 grain JHP with the Hornady XTP rounds and it hasn't had a burp yet. It seems to be most accurate with a 124 grain load. Here is a 14 round group (13+1) with the Fiocchi SD load at 14 yards fired in 3 round bursts:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011

3. russ

russ New Member

Are you after a pocket carry gun or a holster carry gun? That will make a big difference in the recommendations. For holster carry (IWB) I like my M&P40c, which is the exact same size as the M&P9c. I looked at the XD subcompact, the Glock 27, and the Kahr MK40. The M&P fit me the best. For pocket carry, the Kel Tec PF9 compares very favorably to the LC9, for over $100 less.

4. 9mmgun

9mmgun New Member

I'm leaning towards a holster. My plan is to carry in the waistline of my back on a belt.

5. mkett39

mkett39 New Member

I really like the SR9c. Ilike the overall feel and nice trigger. Also have PPS9 which is about the same size as the ruger(little slimmer in the grip) but has less capacity and expensive mags. It is a very accurate gun though. If I would have had the SR9c before the PPS I would have never bought the PPS though.

XD and XDm's in compacts are wider than the ruger but they are also quality guns yet a bit higher priced. For $400 you can not go wrong with the Ruger it is a fine pistol.

Sorry but I do not care for the Kel Tec brand so no further on that.

6. russ

russ New Member

Then I would look at larger than pocket sized guns. Leave the LC9 and PF9 for pocket carry. The SR9c is probably the gun you want, but look at as many others as you can just to be sure.

7. Hollander

Hollander New Member

Take at look at the Kahr PM9 or the new CW9. The pm9 carries extremely well on a belt and usually very well in most pockets. I love my PM 9 along with the P380 exclusively for pockets.

8. Wambli

Wambli Member

Take a nice long hard look at the Walther PPS. One of the most accurate compact pistols I've ever owned. Has swiftly become my everyday carry gun for summer. Carries great in your pocket or holster. Also make sure you check out the Kahr line. Plenty of great guns there. My wife loves the P9 and my daughter the K9. I borrow either one of them on occassion.

9. Hollander

Hollander New Member

My mistake above - it is the new Kahr CM9 which seems to be getting some nice reviews.

10. WDB

WDB New Member

One I would suggest is the S&W M&P, I've owned four M&P's three of those are now legally owned by family members (son, daughter and daughter in law) who guilted me into giving them this fine pistol in place of the CC they had. Best advice for this pistol is don't let your family members shoot it otherwise you will just have to buy another. Go to a range that rents and shoot as many options as you can and find the one that fits your hand well and gets you on target for the second shot, might not need a second shot but better to be there than not.

Attached Files:

11. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

+1 on the M&P.

Since everyone seems to be giving a different choice, I will also throw in the SigSauer P250, look into the 2SUM. You get a full size and a compact.:D
    [​IMG]

12. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

I'll throw my hat in the ring with the Cz 75c 9mm compact pictured here but also add that Beretta has recently added a compact version of the 92 to their line...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  13. gilfo

gilfo Member

Get a Glock 26 and be done with your search.

14. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I can't see this one on their web page, did they discontinue it? :confused:

15. tekarra

tekarra New Member

Check out the cZ lineup of compact pistols. They offer a good variety.

16. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Which one...the Beretta or CZ?

17. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

The Beretta Compact, I can't find it on Beretta's page.

18. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Saw it on Bud's described as a limited time availability...not sure if it's a new production or newly imported older models but they are NIB.

Beretta 92 COMPACT 9mm 13RD SHIPS FREE

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  19. DrJason

DrJason New Member

I'll throw another recommendation behind the S&W M&P9c....great gun, no problems, fits great in my hand.....have OWB and IWB holsters that work great.

If you are looking for a SUB-compact gun, I'll suggest looking at the Kahr PM9, super small (one of the smallest 9's on the market), perfect for IWB carry and some say you can pocket carry (I'm not totally sold on that though)

20. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I love my 92, I am going to have to get one of those. Thanks for the link!

Where do you get spare 13rd mags? :confused: