I'm looking for a cheap 357 mag

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by crazyman24, Sep 18, 2011.

1. crazyman24

crazyman24 New Member

I want a 357 mag anybody know anygood cheap ones just to take to range and to.just shoot and enjoy

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Shop around. There are a ton of them out there and all you need to do is find the right one.

It's a target rich environment so you should look for a vintage S&W. I got my M19 on gunbroker for <$400 and it has turned out to be my favorite range gun.

Check it out here:

Cane's M19-3/357 Mag

3. crazyman24

crazyman24 New Member

I'm looking for like 300 tops

4. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I used to have a Rossi .357 and it was a fairly good gun and it was around $300.

5. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Bro get a dan wesson . they are pound for pound the most accurate gun on the planet AND they are also the most undervalued as well goto danwessonforum.com/forum and look in the for sale section .... if your lucky without the pistol pack you can probably pick one up for 300 or so? i love mine they are match grade accurate out of the box and indestructible. when everyone one else was leaving the revolver where it was and looking to the automatic to leave their mark dan wesson Considered the revolver to still be relevant. so you will find innovations on his guns you wont see anywhere else and most of his guns are all handmade and arguably of better quality than Smith n Wesson.

Oh geez i totally forgot the best part the 15 and 15-2 .357 have interchangeable barrels for instance the 15-2 I own has a Vent heavy 4" barrel and to make it CC friendly when my permit arrives in the mail Im buying a 2.5 " Vent heavy and changing a barrel takes 1 minute? and it also has an adjustable trigger interchangeable front sights and adjustable rear sights. when im done with mine and i have all the money im just leaving for RI in a hour .. My Dan will have the 2.5" vent heavy barrel , Green EWK Fiber optic sights and the hogue mono grips that are in the mail already .... ill post pics when i get it all together . although since the barrels are custom made dan wesson estimated 4-5 weeks for delivery

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Search the auction sites. Used could be the way to go. For less than $300, you may be able to pick up one that was double that new, and still be in good shape.

7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Have you looked into Charter Arms ?

8. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I would go with Cane's suggestion and look for a Smith and Wesson Model 19. My biggests concern with companies that provide very cheaply priced firearms is they're usually a hit or miss. They can be a great firearm or a piece of junk. That's why I only make purchases with companies that produce quality firearms that you know wont be a hit or miss.

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

IMHO, the word CHEAP is not one that should be applied to a firearm, especially one that is chambered for a cartridge as powerful as the .357 Magnum. A relatively inexpensive LE trade in from S&W is a safer bet. The old "pay me now or pay me later" comes to mind.

Look at models 19, 13 or 65 for one that fits the bill.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

All of these are good suggestions OP. I like an older S&W, but there are a lot of different deals out there. I have now a S&W 65-2 and love it, although there has been a lot of concerns for the design (you can look it up on google). I have also had a rossi .357 mag snubnose. Not sure of the model number, but they don't have a lot of variety so it's pretty easy to find. BTW, Rossi, Taurus, and Braztech are pretty much the same company to my understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and they are fine guns-nothing real special, pretty good price, customer service not so bad, etc.etc. Both of these that I've had cost around 300 (rossi was 275 new, Smith was a little more at 350 I think)

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

well said trip. i like the S&Ws, but somtimes they can still be pricey even for used ones in good condition. i have a Taurus 44 tracker, and have had several Taurus pistols in the past, and have very good luck with them. BTW, Rossi and Braztech are owned by the same company, and Taurus manufactures some of Rossi's 38s and 357s under the Rossi name.

12. Virginia58

Virginia58 Member Supporter

The Smith's are a good deal if you can find used in your price range. Don't forget about the Ruger GP100, they are solid performers. A good used Ruger should fall within your spending goal.

13. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

I picked up a used Ruger Blackhawk .357 for $325.00. Was in great shape and came with an extra cylinder for 9mm (which I never use). Shoots great. Check you local gun shop for used.

14. Axxe55

there are many good deals on revolvers if you look around. try the pawnshops, gun stores and if there are any gunshows go looking there. try gunbroker.com or gunsamerica.com. sometimes you just have to look and keep looking. all of the guns that were suggested would be good guns and it might just come down to personal preference. and if you buy one that you like, you can usually make it more comfortable to shoot by adding aftermarket grips. as general rule aftermarket rubber grips are more comfortable than wooden grips, and some of the factory rubber or plastic grips. my Taurus 44 mag. Tracker had factory rubber grips and i replaced them with Hogue Monogrips. a world of difference! way better control even shooting magnum loads one handed!

15. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

Quality is always the real bargain. Smith Wesson model 66 is just about perfect for occasional magnum use, the SW 686 if you want to shoot magnums a lot. Ruger also makes good magnums. I would stay away from junk guns like Taurus or cheap clones. Look at the resale values and you will see why. SW guns just keep going up, the cheap guns are throw away junk.

16. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

Amen. Remember that hand holding the gun will be the source of about 95% of the romance you're going to get over your lifetime: take care of it.:D

17. Axxe55

wait a minute, now i agree thar S-W makes great pistols, as does Ruger. i have many of both in the past and would buy another if the right deal came along. i have also had several Taurus made pistols, and they are very good guns in their own right. i own one right now and shoot it quite a lot. works very well and hits where i aim it. (Taurus 44 mag Tracker) Taurus also has a lifetime warranty, and will honor it on any gun made after 1984.

18. Mat523

Mat523 New Member

You can buy Ruger 6 series revolvers used for $300. They are built like a tank and will last your lifetime....and then some
    Matt

19. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

We've mostly been talking DA here, but there are also some very nice SA offerings in the OP's price range...Vaquero, Blackhawk, etc.