I'm in trouble now.

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by dgray64, Oct 17, 2012.

1. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

I have a 91/30 (1943) and an M44 (1945). The stocks are rough, but the barrels and actions are fine. I also have a 91/30 (1943) that belonged to one of my daughters ex husband. Long story longer, we (he and I) shot these rifles a couple of years ago. I cleaned my very well and advised him to do the same. He did run a patch, but did he clean it well? Anyway, I was gone last year babysitting for that daughter while she was deployed overseas with the Army. She got back and I got back (she's in WV and I'm in Texas). I just pulled those guns out today to look them over. As luck would have it, I pulled his first. It was stored in a gun shock and showed no rust or damage. I pulled the bolt and looked down the barrel. I then got out the old cleaning kit that came with it and pulled a brush (nylon on two ends and brass in the center) through the barrel after I dipped the brush in Hoppes #9. Rust!!! That's what it looked like. I pulled it through again with Blaster on it. More rust. I ran patches through it with Hoppes and then dry. Rust! I plugged the muzzle and poured some Kroil down the barrel and am letting it set over night. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks for the help.

Dave

2. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

There's a forum called surplus rifle -do a search- which could be quite helpful.

3. guncollector

guncollector New Member

kroil is excellent stuff and that should do it . also get a larger than bore size wire brush and a drill and polish the inside , use a variable speed drill and only go 1/3 speed . i've cleaned a few enfields using this procedure and it worked well for me

4. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

Thanks, I'll look for the proper brush.

Dave

5. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Also on the wire brush, a brass one may be a better idea than a steel one. The steel one would probably be more likely to scratch the inside of your barrel than a brass one would.

EDIT: I am not claiming the above to be a true fact, just a possibility. It is possible that a steel one wouldn't hurt the barrel at all, but I do think the brass brush is the safer option since brass is softer than steel.

6. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Brown Vinegar. A couple passes, run patches

Brush solvent. A couple passes , run patches (back to vinegar)

Overnight--Dexron III ATF- does the work for you. ;)

PLEASE- use this stuff in the BARREL ONLY...

7. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

Great idea:)

8. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

Thanks. Is brown vinegar apple cider vinegar? Why won't white vinegar work as well? Thanks again. The ATF sounds like a great idea as well.

Dave :)

9. DunRanull

DunRanull New Member

If the bore is full of rust, where did the chrome lining go?

10. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

This is a gun built in 1943 on a design that originated in 1891, the barrels were't chromed. The guns shot rounds with corrosive primers to such an extent that soldiers were issued a small divided bottle with a separate cap for each side. The solder got into a fight and as soon as he could thereafter, he poured the water or water/ammonia mixture down the barrel to nutrilize the corrosive nature of the primers, then he ran a rag down it with oil from the other side of the bottle. Some of them peed down their barrels when they had no water or ammonia. My ex-son-in-law should have peed down his barrel.

Dave

11. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Actually, the Arisaka type 99 was the first mass produced military rifle with a chrome lined barrel... :)

12. DunRanull

DunRanull New Member

My misunderstanding. Somehow I got the idea that the later Mosin's were chromed. I stand corrected.
    How about the SKS- were any of them chrome-lined?

13. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I know that the Russian one were and think that the Chinese were also, I'm unsure if any others were.

14. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

Sorry, I'm not up to date on SKS and AK barrels. I would assume that they were chrome lined because they are semi-auto rifles and the barrel will heat up pretty quickly with multiple rounds. The Mosin-Nagant was never chrome lined. It had a very short handled bolt that makes it awkward to operate rapidly. It was designed to be operated by Russian soldiers using their left hand. They would be hunkerd down in a trench or foxhole with the gun to their shoulder and sighting on the enemy. They would fire the weapon while mantaining their grip on the rifle stock, finger near the trigger with their right hand while reaching over the top to throw the bolt up, back and forward with the left hand.

Dave

15. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I didn't know that I just found it easier to operate with my left hand. Makes sense though

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

I feel I now need to experiment.

17. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Ammonia is as bad as the corrosive primers. Put a drop of ammonia on the receiver and then check it a few days later. The idea behind windex was the soap and water it contained. Just flush w/ boiling water after shooting. Then clean.

My 1953 Soviet (Izhevsk) SKS was not chrome lined.

18. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Okay I was wrong, thanks for the correction.

19. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

It may have been at Tula, or on certain model years. Never say wrong when it comes to Soviet rifles. Throughout WWII the 91/30 when through many changes. You just never really know.

20. mosin46

mosin46 New Member

i found tornado brushes to be helpful in this setting. although,would never put one in a match or hunting rifle.