I'm in a fix

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by HKSlinger, May 25, 2011.

1. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

I broke out the M-28 today and finished off half a box of .38s. While cleaning her, I noticed some small spots of rust forming on the frame, just above the trigger where I rest my finger before I let her bark. Now...... before you sentence me to a plastic gun hell, is there anything I can do to stop this? In all fairness, I have been told in the past I have a high PH and then that might be a a problem for me with blued guns. I really don't want to spend the money and have some super finish put on. Am I to become, "The Gloved One, Too"? :eek:

2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Wipe it down with Fluid Film and see how it does.

3. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

Is that a name brand or something I have to do behind the barn? :eek:

4. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

Thanks, I'll see if I can pick some up.

5. Wambli

Wambli Member

I have a friend that's a knifemaker and he waxes all his knives before a show. He says it helps protect the high carbon steel blades from the sweat, fingerprints etc form the hundreds of folks that will be handling them. I think he just uses regular car wax. Next time I talk to him I'll ask.

BTW I have the same problem as you. I tend to be highly corrosive to blue guns. I buy the silicon impregnated rags "reel cloth" and wipe all my guns after a range session and haven't had any problems with rust forming on them.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  6. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

About 12 years ago there were two guys at the big gunshow selling "gun wax". I stopped to see what they had going on, and they gave a demonstration. They had a pile of nice blued rifles and a 55gallon drum. They would wax a gun, hold it over the drum and pour water on it. The water beaded off, fast. Then they would rub it with steel wool and do it again. Still beaded. They had figured out a carnauba blend that was hard to strip off.

A great concept that never caught on.

7. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

Thanks, I'll take a look at the reel cloth.

8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I learned years ago that the only knives I can carry are stainless steel. A high carbon blade will rust in my pocket in no time. Funny how metal reacts differently to different people.

9. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

So far, I haven't found a damn thing funny about it. But I know what ya mean.

10. Wambli

Wambli Member

Yeah it's not cool to spend money on guns to have your body eat them. Years ago as a mostly broke young father with many more important priorities than guns I remember spending a huge hunk of change on a SIG P226 only to have the darn thing start pitting on the side of the slide that was agains my body (the old original ones were NOT stainless). In a couple of months no matter what I did the whole side looked like hell.
    A good friend that was my mentor fixed my issue by selling me at a DEEP discount (we used to call it the poor son's price) a stainless Colt 1911. One of the wisest moves I ever made on MANY fronts :D