im haveing a child soon questions

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Ultimate_sig, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

My gf is pregnant with our 1st child and my question is at what age can i start teching them how to handle/shoot a firearm and what caliber should i start with. Should i get them there own firearm and is it a responsible thing to do teaching them at a young age. I dont want them to think its a toy

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Well first congrats! Children are amazing, yet a big challenge. Get your sleep now! I would think you can start teaching the rules, when they can understand what you say. I would start them on air soft guns, then move to .bb or pellet. Then when your confident in them .22 rifles. It will depend on the child. I remember being 6 shooting 44 mag carbine and an ar15. Mind you after time with a bb gun and 22. Constant safety talks etc.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Ultimate,

Congratulations! This is certainly an exciting time! And no matter girl or boy they like shooting and spending time with Dad whether shooting, fishing or just hanging out!

There is nothing wrong with starting them out young. We are talking about two or three. They learn quickly and the more we work with them the faster they learn. I started mine of around 2 with toy guns. And worked with them regarding pointing them at people when we went on our imaginary target shooting and hunting trips or handled the toy gun. As the got older around 4 I started them with a BB gun shooting cans and just having fun. Later a 22 rifle. But all the time still instructing safe gun handling skills. If they had it down at 4 they then began to shoot a 22 bolt action single shot rifle that I had cut down for them. Preferably shooting supported from a bench or table. If it was off hand it was only for a brief few shots since the rifle was still heavy for them and I did not want to discourage them by them struggling to hold the rifle up and hit the target. To instill success at this age is very important. Of course today they have some nice little 22 cal Bolt Action Rifles called the Chipmunk and other similar rifles for little people. By 7 they were shooting small caliber rifles and pistols/revolvers. By around 12 they were shooting everything that Dad would shoot. And sometimes I did not get to shoot much if you know what I mean! But I sure got to watch and coach! LOL! I would have it no other way! My oldest was a boy and we have one daughter who loves to shoot when she gets a chance and does have her own guns. Now we have four children and 7 grandchildren who most all of them are pro gun and like to shoot when they get a chance and get down to see us. I am blessed due to the fact Dad/Grandpa has a 100 yard max. range here on the property.
    So we send you our blessings regarding the little one! Boy or Girl makes no difference when it comes to enjoying the shooting sport and all the benifits to the family it brings. Have fun, spend valuable time with the baby and teach the little one to enjoy shooting, firearms, safety. discipline and respect!
    My Grandfather use to say: Quote! Show me a Boy/(Girl) that loves the out of doors, fishin, huntin or shootin (His exact voice expressions) and I will show you a young person who is much less likely to ever get themselves into trouble!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  4. gollygee

gollygee New Member

It's amazing how well toddlers learn. You hear of kids being able to read prior to pre K! Firearm safety should be taught as early as possible, using toy guns of course. Now, as to real guns, each child will be different. Temperment may be the important thing. If the child has really bad temper fits, don't give them a gun! ;)

5. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Thanks all will take all advice and use it...im tginking nerf to airsoft to daisy to 22. Thanks agian

6. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I explained this to my gf and shes like no my child will not shoot guns...lmao what momie doesnt know wont hurt her

7. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

just got to get mommie shooting first pull will fix that issue

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Nothing is a big deal until it's made a big deal.

I grew up in a house that had guns that were not hidden. No, they were not left lying around, but when used, cleaned and discussed it was open and not in hushed tones. Hell, I was in middle school before I found out not every home had a gun. That's because my dad answered every question I had about them.

I fired his M1911A1 when I was only 9. I went into the woods hunting with him at 11.

That is why I like the following;

In a society's endeavor to deal with firearms, it is much healthier to impart respect and knowledge, than to inculcate fear. - cane

Tell a kid they can't have something and that will be the only thing they will think about. It's the human condition.

Do your part and give your kids the gift of knowledge. It's a gift they will thank you for.

Truth and understanding, even about evil black rifles, is far better than mystery and fear.

Worked for me, and I think I turned out OK.

9. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Sniper & Cane are spot on. Teach them early the basics, then gradually work them up according to their maturity level, and be open about guns don't cloak them in the mysterious cloud of secrets, they will suprise you. Only you as the parent will know for sure when they're ready to progress. Congrats and have fun.

10. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

My Dad used to take me shooting at a friend's farm since I was about 7ish. His guns were never locked up. We learned at a young age that they were not toys and that we did not play with them when he wasn't home. My concern nowadays wouldn't be your child, it would be the other kids that will eventually be hanging out at your house.

11. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

Which is why mine are locked up if I am not home. I might trust my kids with safe combo, but I don't/won't trust anyone else. My kids will/are being taught all the rules of safe firearms handling and shooting. They are too young (4 and 5) to really shoot much (although my oldest has shot bb guns). She is very mature and I will probably start her on a .22 rifle (she already has a pink one picked out) next year. My son...well time will tell with that boy. Right now I don't trust him with a roll of toilet paper. He has the attention span of a knat. My biggest fear with firearms is not what goes on at my house, but what goes on at their friends houses.

12. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

That's why my parents always had to know where I was....not that I was always where I said I would be but that's another story. Alot of my friends carried guns when I was in HS. I didn't hang out with the best crowd but I knew that they had my back and would never let anyome hurt me. I've been around guns my whole life and am very comfortable. I hope though that your children do not hang out with the folks that I did.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  13. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Yea me too, and i will teach and stress saftey safety safety. My child will have to past many test before they shoot some test will be obvious and others will be a test if they pay attention. And ive taken my gf shooting and she loved it after every mag her only response was one more baby. My thoughts-hell yea. I taught her and she did very well better than my first time. I taught my little 10 yr brother how to shoot and i **** you not his first round hit the bullseye

14. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Masad Ayoob, the much-published firearms trainer, told a story in one of his books about an incident that happened with one of his kids. He trains gun handling from the time they are interested in guns (about three years old) and treats ALL guns, even toys, as if they are real. As a result, his sone of seven or eight years old, while over at a friend's house, was faced with the friend bringing out his father's gun. The friend knew where dad hid it and used it to impress his friends. Ayoob's son asked if he could "see" the weapon, and when the gun was given to him, he ejected the magazine and cleared the chamber of a live round in correct order. He pocketed the magazine and round and gave. The now-unloaded gun back to the friend. When Ayoob's son got home, he gave Mas the magazine and round and told him the story. Mas called the other father and talked to him about education for his son and better gun security.

Because Mas educated his son for five years, a potentially deadly accident was averted. The better you educate your children, the better they can handle situations they may run into when you can't protect them.

Canebrake had the right advice, but it's called, "Forbidden Fruit Syndrome." anything that is hidden and forbidden from contact causes people, especially children, to fixate on ways to obtain the object. Put chocolate chip cookies on top of the refrigerator, tell your children, "No!" and then start the stopwatch to see how fast they build a tower to it! Education, talk and safe handling make the firearm obtainable, useable and take away all the mystery. I taught my daughter about firearms starting at three when she asked about guns while watching a movie. I took her to the range with me, and she "helped" while cleaning them. As a result, she never tried to get at my collection or show them to friends - they were just an everyday item.

15. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I really enjoyed this, thankyou for the info

16. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

My son first shot one of my ARs at 3 y/o. One of the very few times they have seem a bench. He sat in my lap, put the red dot on the target, and put a 5.56 sized hole in some paper.

17. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Yea my gf would never allow that

18. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

Mine are only a bit over 2 and were 2 months early but other that still being small for their age they are very smart and wide ...... Thee hell open ! Madison is a bit further along with skills and can talk much much better than him but is hard head as a petrified turd ! Evan listens but cant sit still , both like guns , they are known to them as bang bang - hurt you - bite you - and be careful . I will let them pull the trigger on the rem mod 34 and they love it but as far as them getting the whole not pointing at someone aint got though yet . My boatmonkey mentor has around 100 old old old bb guns , all junk but some wd40 makes em puff a bit . I give them to the kids on the street or to the parents but right now mine have a s&w 6in 357 in plastic china version .

Kid / kids are the most amazing blessing in life , the long nights of crying and boo boos are nothing when they crawl in your lap , give you that first kiss , the first steps and laughs .
    if you waiting for the right time in your life or to be financially stable before you have kids then you will never be ready .
    Taking ours on trips and vacations is a major pain in the *** due to long rides and un-familiar places and things but when we get them on the pontoon and hit the sand bars ,water , crabs , gulls and baby sharks , its priceless to see them running around having fun .
    Madison is a bit fancy and Evan is more into driving and motors than guns but thats ok too .
    Congratulations and dont let the doctors spook you with all the possible problems . Hope it is a smooth time for you guys .
    A gun hating girlfriend must be changed :D

19. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Not sure if you have done this, but I taught my GF the 4 safety rules. Let her know how responsible you have to be. Then took her shooting. Your gf shoot?

20. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Yeah, my son is a lot like his dad. He's definitely man in the making. Loving and caring but quick to get things done when necessary. Can't raise men by babying them.