I'm gonna start reloading and I need help.

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by 00possum, Nov 26, 2011.

1. 00possum

00possum New Member

2. 44ablast

44ablast New Member

Lee makes some good reloaders and dies for just about everything you want to reload ,but do your self a favor and buy some reloading books .I've been loading for a long time and have about 10 different books .

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

First step is to buy at least one book. You could do an internet search to see if there is any free book downloads. Or look in used book stores, etc. Even if you find older books thats fine as reloading now is basically the same as 40 years ago.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

sorry possum, that makes no sense. you want to get into reloading, but don't want to buy a reloading book. i have many reloading and reference books on reloading. bought several books before i even owned any reloading equipment. the books should be the first thing you ever buy. helps you buy without getting a bunch of things you don't need to have to begin reloading. my advise, buy a few books on reloading, read them several times, then come back here with some informed questions. reloading can be very safe if properly done, but can be very dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, buy the books first!

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Not buying a quality reloading manual is one of the most dangerous and irresponsible things you can do on this planet. You are embarking on a venture that will lead to ammunition that is set off inches from your face and has pressures potentially in excess of 50,000 psi.

If you are not fond of your face, eyesight, fingers, etc. go ahead

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

what robo is saying is very true. another point to consider, don't experiment or deviate from the load data books. there is a very good reason, the loads listed work, the bullet makers, primer makers, case makers and the powder makers have proven this data. let them do the experimenting, they have specialized equipment to test these components. also follow all the safety precautions and guidelines, they are there for a reason, to keep you safe. reloading can be very rewarding and fun and a great companion to collecting and shooting guns. if you pay attention, follow safe reloading procedures, it is very safe, but let your guard down and being careless around it, it can be very dangerous and deadly.

7. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

ABC's of Reloading and 2nd edition of of Lee's reloading manual you can buy used for about $15 each. They have info that is essential to reloading. The bottom line is research before you load a round.

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

IME, the Lyman reloading manual is by far the best for the new reloader just starting out.

Then get the Hodgdon, Hornady and Speer, and you're all set!:p

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Translation:

Hi, I want to make small highly volatile, very dangerous, and highly explosive devices but I don't feel the need to read, learn or study them. Can you help me?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Just asking.......

If anything happens, can I have your guns? :rolleyes:

11. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

Add me to the list of people who say not wanting to buy a reloading manual makes absolutely no sense. For sure the first thing you need to get is a good reloading manual. I have bought several reloading manuals since I started more than 30 years ago and I still have the first one. You say you don't know what to get to get started in reloading. Well, a manual will provide that information. There will always be people out there who think they can figure it all out on their own but they are the ones more likely to have an accident and/ or produce unreliable loads. Do it right, get a manual.

12. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR New Member

I,m sorry but you are not ready to reloade anything . Maybe in ten years or more you will see that reloading is a serious business and not a simple chore . You should read all the books you can find/buy first . I have over 40 years of loading experience and still go back to the first book I ever bought . If you are thinking you just like cheaper ammo and that is your only reason to reload your not ready .

If you do reload please shoot by your self on your own range .

13. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Most kabooms are the result of ammo related problems. The highest percentage of ammo related problems are the product of reloaded ammunition. I honestly would like for you to be safe (both your person and those around you) and enjoy many years of shooting and sharing your experiences with us. This is not something that should be taken lightly. Please read a couple reloading books and then think to yourself if you really want to do so.

I've personally read the ABCs and Hornady reloading book. A couple times. I read reloading forums. I've decided that I don't shoot enough to warrant the time and energy (and the space in my house) it takes to learn to manufacture ammunition.

Take a look here
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=56306
    and imagine having to hold them when they kaboom'd.

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Do you have a bunch of guns you plan on blowing up? Got a bunch of friends you are hoping to hurt? Be sure to bring a first aid kit with you.

15. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

I have the lee 1st edition and the latest edition and I love them both. I know some people here are not fans of Lee products but I think he did a good job with his reloading manuals.

16. Vincine

Vincine New Member

17. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

Just how were you planning on learning about reloading?
    Youe don't acquire reloading expertise via osmosis. I've
    been reloading for over 40 years and I have many
    reloading books. Reloading is a serious hobby and should
    be taken seriously. You will not learn all about
    reloading overnight. Start with a basic kit and go from
    there.