Im going to buy a new 1911 but I need help, kimber or colt

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Ultimate_sig, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Ive been in the market for a 1911, I was fixed on the colt xse 80s series but then I seen the kimber custom 2. I like both and money is not an option, which pistol is made better. I will post pics of both

custom_II.jpg

1631218_O1880XSE.jpg

2. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

I don't have any experience with that colt but i've had a kimber custom tactical II for several years now and i love it, i can't imagine a better 1911 IMO

Attached Files:

3. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I have a Kimber that has been flawless since day one, I like it & will probably own another one some day, but I vote for the Colt. May cost a little more, but a lifetime warranty vs 1 year & a better customer service reputation.

4. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

I'd choose the Colt but if money isnt an option........
    Nighthawk
    Les Baer
    Wilson Combat supergrade
    Dan Wesson
    Why limit your choices, live out my fantasy

5. jca1

jca1 New Member

Colt is made better hands down...take it to the bank. Buy yourself a Colt Combat Elite and if money really isn't an issue get a Colt Special Combat Government.

6. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Sounds peetty sweet can you post a pic

7. jca1

jca1 New Member

Go to Colt's website and look at them all.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/

8. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Get a Colt over the Kimber please. As was said 1 yr. warranty vs. lifetime. Colt also has a custom shop and Kimber doesn't. If money is no object then PLEASE look at Ed Brown or Les Baer. WAY better than either of them. Love Colts but they do not compare to EB or LB.

9. jca1

jca1 New Member

This is a 5X8 sheet of paper. Four rounds (WWB from Wally World), fired from 40 feet, off rest, made that hole on top.

Pistol? Bone stock Colt Combat Elite purchased for $800.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Colt, hands down.

Besides, Kimber is a girl's name. (If you have a problem in the one year warranty, and have changed something as simple as the grips, they void the warranty.)

11. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Colt for sure!!

12. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

Kimber makes a fine gun I have a TLE 2 and it has been flawless through 1000 rounds not one time has it had a issue of any kind. But Colt makes a fine gun as well.

13. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Buy a Colt. The others are only copies of the real thing.:)

14. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

1631218_O1880XSE.jpg
    This the 80s series xse I ordered thanks to all

15. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

Congrats man, hope you enjoy it

16. kvtcomdo

kvtcomdo New Member

Excellent Choice.

Think you made the correct choice.

Enjoy.:D

17. esc2820

esc2820 New Member

You know I am a Colt fan myself. That being said, I would rather put my money on something with NO M.I.M. parts. A Dan Wesson can be found close to the price of a Colt and you are getting lots of Ed Brown parts and not one M.I.M. part in the firearm. Go Dan Wesson over Colt, oh and we will not even go there with the Kimber...that thing may as well have the frame made of M.I.M., do not get me wrong, Kimber is a decent pistol, but they seem to pride themselves on trying to make things lighter, in turn using lots of alloys and m.i.m. parts. If you buy a colt or a Kimber, you will end up spending the same as you would a Dan Wesson or maybe even a used Ed Brown, Wilson Combat when you consider the replacement of all the MIM parts.

18. rifleshooter474

rifleshooter474 New Member

I had three Kimbers I did not like my 4" it shot Ok the finish was poor just washed off quickly, just did not care for it. Had a 3" shot Ok finish was what I call stove bolt quality very sad. The only Kimber one I really liked was an all steel 5" shot Ok was a pretty good 1911 for a non Colt.
    I traded them all off and now IMHO I have the real deal only true to the bone 1911, The Colt. Have two of them great quality great fit and finish's and great shooting "right out of their box's".
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  19. Polygon

Polygon New Member

No question, I would get a Colt as well. My next 1911 will be a Colt.

20. jca1

jca1 New Member

It's not MIM that needs to be avoided, it's poor quality MIM. Of the standard production 1911 makers, Colt uses the least amount of MIM and their MIM parts are great quality. Colt, and if not Colt then Wilson Combat, have proven that quality MIM parts are not junk, not by a long shot. While WC doesn't put MIM parts in their builds today, they did at one time. MIM gets it bad name from manufacturers that get their MIM parts overseas from the lowest bidder.