I'm getting the itch

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by jimogden1984, Oct 7, 2013.

1. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I'm getting an itch for a lever gun, never had one and have one shot a couple but that was a long time ago. definitely thinking used is the way to go for me. I can't put my finger on it but the newer lever guns just don't have the same appeal. thinking probably 3030 but also one in 38/357 would be an option. 4570 would top the list if it wasn't for ammo prices. The main reason 38/357 is a consideration is I'm also thinking it's getting close to time for a new wheel gun, I've had a 357 before and that's what I'll likely get again. I don't know a lot about them but always wanted one and its getting about time I have one. Will be used mostly for range fun but also deer hunting maybe (I know it's a sin but I've never been deer hunting and that needs to change). What would you guys recommend I look at? How is 357 on deer and in brush? advantage on 3030 over 357? and what guns would cycle 357 and 38 reliably? Or are there any other calibers I should look into? I know it's a lot of questions but I'm trying to get my research done so when I'm ready to buy I know what I'm looking for.

2. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I did a little looking around on-line, to check ammo pricing.

At sportsmansguide.com, low end .30-30 ammo is about $.85/rounds & .357 mag. is about $.76/round.

This seems like a non-factor for your decision. It comes down to superior ballistic profile (.30-30) vs ammo commonality (.357 mag.).

3. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I like having a lever gun in a caliber I own a revo in. It's this that has me looking for one in 38/357. I had one in 44 mag but sold it and really regret it now. So I might look replace that too. I have a Winchester 94 in 30 30 that is a total blast to shoot. A lot of people lean to the marlins because of the ease of mounting a scope. Being the range of the average lever gun I personally don't see a need to scope it. Most the hunting around here is 100 yds or less and that fits a lever guns use pretty easily. A 30 30 probably has taken more deer than any other two calibers...At least in my area so it's kind of a must have. With the Lever Evolution ammo form Hornady they are really accurate and will put a deer down pretty easy. I've heard of people doing ti with a 357 but I've not done it. I love a 44 for things like that though as long as the shot is under 150 yds. a 44 or 357 will work pretty well for coyotes too. Any would do just fine on targets. I don't reload rifle rounds though so anything I would get that is going to do a good bit of paper hunting I would want to reload for it. The press I use (Dillon Square Deal) only does pistol cartridges. I really need to get something that will do both rifle and pistol.:eek:

If I was getting one that would mostly do targets though I might lean to a 22. Cheap to shoot and a lot of fun.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  4. hq357

hq357 New Member

image-3206823403.jpg

If i can have a lever action id like to have the alaskan co pilot

image-3127527148.jpg

Breaks down in a neat little package :)

Attached Files:

5. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

$2000+ might be a Lil more than I can afford haha, would be cool to have though

6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

7. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Depends on how much you want to spend. If you go with the .357 you should look at the Henry Big Boy, if you have that kind of cash, $800-$850

Or, Marlin makes a really nice one. Model 1894C at around $550-$600

The Rossie/ Taurus model 92 is nice as well at $350-$400

8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Henry makes a real nice lever gun. I've been a fan of the marlins as well but there's mixed reviews on the newer ones. It would pay to look any gun over close before buying. Most of the issues I have heard where cosmetic and I can't see how someone takes it out of the store like that. I put that kind of deal on the purchaser.

9. Cheeseman

Cheeseman New Member

Here's my 1894C. love it

Attached Files:

10. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

so far I'm thinking 3030, and possibly an older marlin for a few reasons. Price, and ease to mount a scope are the main ones along with reputation. I would like to stick to iron sights if possible but it's nice to have the option without much hassle

11. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

If you choose to buy a Marlin lever gun, look for the JM stamped on the left side of the barrel, next to the receiver. That signifies a pre-Remington "John Marlin" gun.

12. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

Thanks, I was actually gonna ask about that. I heard quality went down hill when Remington took over but until now didn't know how to tell the difference by looking.

13. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

I have a Marlin 336 chambered in 30-30. I bought it used about 10 years ago. I paid $175 for it.

They are very solid rifles.

[​IMG]

14. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

You can have your cake and eat ti too wit ha set of rings that let ya see under them.

15. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

i have a Mossberg 464 in 30-30 that shoots really good. it has the classic lines similar to a Winchester 94 but with the added bonus of being a side eject & it is already drilled & tapped for scope mounts. they run around $400 new here, I bought mine used for $250

16. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I don't think I've seen any 3030s that cheap here, might be something I'll have to keep an eye out for though

17. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I would like to get the Marlin 336 chambered in 35 cal. I love that gun but lever action in 44 magnum would be fun too. That would be the perfect truck gun.

18. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

what are the differences between the 35 abs 3030?

19. Cheeseman

Cheeseman New Member

Here's my 336 in .35 Rem. I was lucky to find it, an unfired trade in at Midwest Shooters, got it for $325

Attached Files: