Im from cali can someone tell me what "single shot exemption" means?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by HeatSpitta510, Jun 17, 2013.

1. HeatSpitta510

HeatSpitta510 New Member

That's the only way gen 4 glocks are sold in Cali ..what's different with the pistol?

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

In Cali it would be almost impossible to know what the legislators mean when they write laws on guns they don't understand. Probably requires removal if any pistol grip and ability to hold a magazine with a capacity greater than one.

3. JeeperSC

JeeperSC New Member

Gen 4 Glocks are illegal in Cali?!?

4. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

Just looked it up. It means that the barrel has to be 6" long and a mag block has to be put in so that the gun can only be loaded one round at a time. After you buy a single shot exempt pistol you can then revert it to a regular gen4 glock. I don't understand this though. Is it just to annoy people and deter them from buying one??

5. HeatSpitta510

HeatSpitta510 New Member

Thanks,So it's real easy to convert the pistol back ..it's just a small hassle ..you can buy gen 3 glocks all day in Cali so it doesn't make sense to me...I'm not buying a glock right I was just wondering.

6. ncmedic964

ncmedic964 New Member

Eh *shrug* gen 4 is way over rated anyway. :)

7. HeatSpitta510

HeatSpitta510 New Member

Yup that's why I pick up my Sig P229 on fri

8. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

this is excactly what it is the only + to it is it allows you to buy guns normally not allowed to buy here.

9. HeatSpitta510

HeatSpitta510 New Member

One gun shop told me I could buy a gen 4 glock from them (Single shot exemption) walk out the store with it ..turn around and come back in and have them convert it back to normal ..there's no law saying that it can't be done...

10. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

That's what I gathered as well. The website says something like "converting it back to its original form requires some tools. We can provide them of requested". So it's clearly legal. I'd just like to hear the reasoning of the politicians who thought up such a stupid, pointless law. But I'm not from California so I guess it doesn't really matter. Lol. I will however be there this week for vacation.

11. HeatSpitta510

HeatSpitta510 New Member

Enjoy your vacation. Im going with the P229 for now but I might get a gen 4 glock 19 later.

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

It is code for "move to a different State". The State Legislature, run by SoCal idiots does not want you to live there anyway, just accomodate them

13. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

As said before single shot exemption requires the gun to be made to receive one round at a time. Shops that do single shot deals will generally revert it back as long as you cross the threshold of the the store. At that point the deal is considered to be done and the shop is no longer responsible for the firearm and its your gun so you turn around and have them revert it back to full function. You will find shops that will not deal with this because they believe it is a gray area of legality and feel they will receive extra scrutiny from the DOJ if word gets around that they do this practice. Even some of the shops that do it like to keep it somewhat low key because you never know who is standing next to you in the shop. It's just one more of the Bay Area wusses trying to make things "safer" for everyone by not having those dangerous guns that fire without magazines all on there own.

14. dlhvac

dlhvac New Member

Move away from kalfornia

15. HeatSpitta510

HeatSpitta510 New Member

Never.......I love California

16. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

California's gun laws may suck but the weather's great and the booze and cigarettes are cheap. At least compared to Washington. I just got in to temecula yesterday and I never want to leave.

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Washington, Oregon and now Colorado got Kalifornicated.

18. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

a friend of mine has done this a couple times already,the only thing we are not sure of is getting caught with the gun after converting it back.

19. HeatSpitta510

HeatSpitta510 New Member

Yes that's the question ..but I'm not going to carry a pistol,I'd have one for home defense and range,if I find a gen 4 glock 19 I'm probably gonna do it.

20. JW357

JW357 New Member

I might be dumb but I think I'm still missing what exactly it means.

Only load one round at a time? Does that mean only one round in the chamber at a time? Cuz I thought that's generally how it worked period.

Does it mean a one round limit in the magazine? I could actually see Kalifornia doing that.

I just... really don't get it. Single shot exemption...