I'm dirty and smell of gun oil.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by txpossum, Jul 24, 2013.

1. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Cindy's father passed away a year ago. He had several interesting guns, including a Winchester Hi-Wall, a .50 Sharps (the kind you fashion paper cartridges for), and a vintaae Winchester lever action in .32 Special. After her father's death, some of the guns were allocated: the kid got the Sharps; Cin got the Winchester, and Cin's brother got the Hi Wall and some others such as an Ithaca Model 37 and a Remington Pump Action 30-06. However, except for the Sharps and the Hi Wall they all remained at Cin's parents house.

Well, Cin's mother got worried about them in her house, so today I got another metal gun cabinet and moved about 18 rifles and shotguns from one house to another. While I was doing it I oiled all of them, and, for good measure, went ahead and oiled my guns. The process took all afternoon.

There was one gun I had told Cin's mother I would buy if she ever decided to sell any, which was a Smith and Wesson Model 48 .22 magnum revolver, with a .22lr cylinder. Well, now that they're not being sold, Cin's brother decided he wants that too. Of course. However, I'm not going to argue about it. I recently told him that if he EVER wanted to sell the Hi-Wall let me know.

If I'm lucky I'll wind up with a couple of moderately interesting guns, such as a Remington 1889 double barrel 12 gauge with the outside "rabbit ear" hammers, and a Savage 22/410 combo. Oh, and a couple of other double barreled shotguns, but mostly lower end Italian made guns. Probably a Thompson Center flintlock. I did score a couple of bricks of .22, about 10 boxes of 12 gauge slugs, about 6 boxes of .32 Special ammo, and three of four boxes of 12 gauge shot shells. Two cans of black powder.

Not bad for an afternoon's effort.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  2. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Nice!!!

Of course without pics it didnt happen :D

3. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Dammit, it's late, I'm tired, and the gun area of my basement is still torn up, but hold on.

4. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I was just teasin''
    We can wait until tomorrow :eek:

5. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Okay, I just threw the Sharps and the Remington across the bed and snapped a pic with the cell phone. Too much trouble to get the real camera out.

And, yes, it IS a Texas flag bedspread. Have to keep the faith when living among Yankees.

Attached Files:

6. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

No matter how deep into Yankee territory a Texan is, he is still a Texan. ;)

Sweet guns. Very beautiful.

7. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

That is one very expensive Sharps carbine. It appears to be an original.:)

8. txpossum

txpossum New Member

It's in good condition -- the latest date I can find on it is an 1859 patent date.

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have shot a Sharps. That was the worst recoil I've ever experienced. I only shot it once. I'm surprised I didn't get a bruised shoulder from that thing. But they are pretty rifles.

10. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Simply pretty guns there TX(Psst! Don't tell anyone I wear NYG Gear in Arizona! More Cowboys fans here then in Dallas!) :)But I don't have a Giants bedspread......

11. JW357

JW357 New Member

Brother I'm jealous. Sucks that his passing is the circumstance under which you're going to get some of the guns, but I guess they should definitely go to someone who will enjoy and cherish them.

12. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

See if you used Frog Lube you would have that fresh minty smell.:D

13. DrFootball

Love that Frog Lube even at $17 a Pop.....

14. txpossum

txpossum New Member

You a Giants fan? One of my buddies in Fort Worth played about six or seven season for the Giants . . . Marcus Buckley. Every year he and another buddy who worked my cigar shop there had a bet. If he Giant's beat the Cowboys, Buck's NYG helment had to be displayed in the shop for a week.

15. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Yeah, I'm just the caretaker for the Sharps. For a couple of years before he died, Cin's father casually entertained several offers for the gun, but he didn't need to sell and nobody met his price. When he was in the hospital for his last stay -- the one he didn't come home from -- Cin, the kid, and I were visiting him. The kid had just passed her driver's test. Don looked at me and asked, "What do you think we could sell the Sharps for?" I sad, its your gun, you can do what you want with it, but why would you want to sell it?" He said "Well, [kid's name] needs a car".

Cin stepped up and told him that she had the money to buy her a car, but instead of selling it mebbe she would rather have the gun as a heirloom. He asked the kid whether she would rather have the rifle or the money, and she choose the gun.

So I just hold the Sharps under a sort of stewardship, preserving it for the kid and future generations. Don still shot the Sharps occasionally, and one of these weekends I'll try my hand at making the paper cartridges it uses.

16. DrFootball

I was a 3rd gen. seasons tixx holder, then a member of the Giants "Beat" media for close to 2 decades....Remember Mr. Buckley well...

I also run the Facebook Page for former NY Jet Joe Klecko's hall of fame Bid, and am preparing to launch one for Phil Simms' eventual HOF bid....prob. roll it out the same time as my new Football Blog(college/pro & the Draft) even though i won't be attending anymore drafts with Credential..