I'm dead set on a Colt XSE 5in, good idea or no?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by anthonymartinez138, May 27, 2012.

1. anthonymartinez138

anthonymartinez138 New Member

Hey guys, I've never owned a 1911 but I wanna get one and I've done my research and I'm dead set on a Colt XSE 5in, good idea or no......the most I can spend is a grand, I want something semi-custom like the XSE or even a Kimber Custom 2, always been a fan of 1911s just never owned one, but I am a proud owner of a XD-9 :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2012
  2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Great choice!

I've got the SS model. Fits your budget and has most everything you could want!

[​IMG]

But......every gun should be made yours!

[​IMG]

...................From Mild,

[​IMG]

.............. to WILD!

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

That was actually my first choice when I got my springer milspec. The only reason I got the springer is because the XSE I wanted had been sold. I'm proud as hell of my springer though. I'd never give it up.

4. anthonymartinez138

Freakin awesome gun man ^_^

5. anthonymartinez138

I was ganna get a Springfield Loaded but found out they are half made in brazil and my dad being a veteran and being from out in the country everyone would make fun of me :p but I hear they are great and the next 1911 I get is ganna be a springer loaded :)

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Thanks AM.

[​IMG]

7. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

The last few days I've been going back and forth between a couple of Springer models and a couple of the Colt models for a 1911 around $1000. Right at this moment I am set on the Colt Combat Elite. It has a match barrel and a blued carbon steel slide (purdy...), but just about the same as the XSE for very close to the same price.

Good choice!

8. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Both excellent 1911s

9. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Hell ya, go for it.. Be sure to give us a range report and some pics :)

10. anthonymartinez138

Sounds like a plan :) just gotta wait till Tuesday to order my XSE :)

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the Colt you have chosen is an excellent choice and will serve you well. the Springfields are also excellent pistols an would serve you well. Cane is right, you will need some custom grips for it!

i have a Sprinfield Micro Compact Loaded 45 and a Remington R1 Enhanced and both have become personal favorites. i have had several SA 1911's over the years and can attest to them being excellent pistols and very well made and reliable. i went with intentions of buying a Colt Commander the day i bought the Remington, but it had been sold a few days earlier so i went with the Remington R1. i will end up with a Colt one of these days!

12. anthonymartinez138

What type of material is best for 1911 grips? I have small soft hands even though I'm a big guy (I'm proportional everywhere else) and what brand would be great as well?

13. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Anthony, go with some type of slim line grips. the material choice is up to you as there are many, many different types. but if you co with the slim grips, you will need slim grip screw bushings and screws. this type of grip will slim up the sides of the istol quite a bit. Hogue also makes some nice rubber grips with finger grooves that might suit you. just Google 1911 grips and see all the links you get! if i had to guess, they probably make more grips for 1911's than any other type of pistol.

15. anthonymartinez138

Will do :) thanks for the slim grip advice, never knew there were slim ones, shows how much I know. I'm thinking rubber grips :)

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Apparently, if the serial has an "NM" prefix, they are 100% USA made. Mine happens to have the prefix. Also, I'm a vet too, but the way I look at it, its am American company, and the dealer was American too! ;)

Not trying to talk you out of the Colt at all though. Wish I'd gotten to the store sooner...

17. anthonymartinez138

Hmm I was never told that and then I just googled it :( I feel like an idiot now lol, but now that I know that.....I'm definetly getting a springer loaded at the end of the summer, just gotta get my colt 1911 and colt le901 :)

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

Hey, I assumed mine was made mostly in Brazil until someone here told me. That's what I love most about FTF, I learn something new almost daily.

19. anthonymartinez138

Lol I guess ur right, a lot of knowledgeable people on here and their willing to talk to u and help u in a nice way

20. canebrake

canebrake New Member

What type of material is best for 1911 grips?

Rattlesnake Hide, Ivory, Mammoth Bark, Fossilized Brain Coral, Sambar Stag to name a few but if holding on to your 1911 is what you want, G10 is about the best!

And the best in G10 is VZ Grips. I like the Operator II.

VZ Grips - Operators II

They are aggressive.

You can't beat Hogue for quality wood grips.

Hogue - 1911 Grips

Or you can shop at deep discount at their Cosmetic Seconds Auction.

Hogue Auction - 1911 Grips

Last edited: May 27, 2012