I'm considering an LCP, but no safety?

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by dr_psych, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dr_psych

dr_psych New Member

Hello all, I'm thinking of getting an LCP 380. I've read reviews and watched YouTube video reviews. The one thing that perplexed me was the lack of a safety. The only safety is the "stiffness" of the trigger pull. Is this true? If so, how do you all feel safe carry/concealing it? Thanks

2. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

IMO, Double Action Only(DAO) pocket pistols, like every other firearm, are only as safe as the person handling them.

****Get yourself and anyone else that will handle this and all guns you own some safety training.****

1) Every gun is considered loaded until you personally, manually check it's condition.
    2) Always carry them in a holster that covers and protects the trigger from inadvertently being actuated.
    3) Never place your finger inside the trigger guard or on the trigger unless and until you are prepared to fire the weapon.
    4) Never point the weapon at anything you aren't prepared to shoot and destroy.
    5) Concealed means concealed, don't take it out and show it off to others or allow them to handle it.
    6) Get certified and know the laws of your state and any other state you will be passing thru or going to - and abide by them.

The DAO trigger is the same concept employed on most Double Action(DA) revolvers and has proven its reliability and safety for over 100 years.

I think you will be fine if you just practice safe gun handling.

And finally, yes I do concealed carry a DAO semi-auto like the LCP and I have no qualms about doing so, beyond the usual concerns of being armed.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

i carry one everyday. great little pocket pistol. get a decent pocket holster, keep your finger off the trigger less your gonna shoot it and its a non-issue,.

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Pretty much it----------
    Theres a safety on EVERY gun ;)

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

About the only "accidental" discharge from any gun is an idiot pulling the trigger.

6. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I have two pocket pistols, both with long DAO triggers. I have no concern carrying either in my pocket.

Safeties definitely have an important purpose on shorter and SAO triggers, but they can be overkill on triggers like the LCP.

7. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

The LCP has an exposed hammer. When you holster it, pocket it, or do anything else with it except shoot it, keep your thumb on the hammer. If you feel the hammer start to move under your thumb you're doing something you shouldn't be doing. Stop immediately and reverse direction. The thumb on the hammer motion is not an unnatural position, and it will warn you if something is about to go wrong.

I do recommend using a holster, but not for the reason you're thinking of. Without a pocket holster the firearm will move in your pocket. With a holster the gun tends to stay oriented the way you want it to be. I like the DeSantis Nemisis for this gun.

It's a fine little gun you should enjoy for years, and even if something goes wrong Ruger has good customer service.

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The trigger pull is similar to a double action revolver and revolvers dont have safeties. Try one before you buy it if you can. They are not real pleasant to shoot. If you want a safety, look at the Sig 238. Much nicer to shoot but it has to be carried cocked and locked (safety on with the hammer cocked).

9. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

From reading Doc3402's response, I think he has confused the LCP with the LCR revolver. There is no truly exposed hammer on the LCP.

10. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

If I'm not mistaken, the lcr has no hammer either.

11. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Sniper is right, neither has an exposed hammer.

12. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I'm sitting here with my EMPTY LCP in my hand, and while it is true the hammer isn't as visible as a 1911, there is a visible hammer. Yes, it could be considered shrouded, but I can still feel it move or see it move every time I pull the trigger.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  13. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Dr_Psych, I am pretty new to guns. I wanted a small pocket pistol and I wanted an LCP. I went to the local gun shop and talked to the salesman who was very happy to help me. He handed me just about every pocket pistol they had. Some revolvers, some semi-autos. When I picked up the Sig P238, I new I found the gun I wanted. I KNOW the "safety" of any firearm is in the person handling it but I did not feel comfortable with a pocket pistol with no external safety, though thousands and thousands of men and women carry an LCP safely in their pockets every day. The LCP is a fine little pistol but I chose the Sig P238. Not only did it have an external safety but it also had a couple ounces more weight to it which really didn't make it heavier to carry but just felt oh, so right in my hands. And the trigger on the P238 is just great. It was a tough decision for me between the LCP and the P238. Buy what you feel comfortable and safe with. Either pistol will serve you well. And no matter which pocket pistol you go with, a good holster is essential. I have a Remora holster for my Sig P238.

Let us know what you decide on.

14. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Winds-of-change - Be glad you got the Sig. My daughter and I each have both, and both of us feel the Sig is more manageable than the LCP. The good part about the LCP is it's carry weight, especially if you need to use an ankle holster.

15. winds-of-change

I'm not able to carry. I live in Illinois. But I have carried it in a Remora holster in my pocket around the house and yard just to get a feel for it. I think the weight difference is nominal in regards to carry but I like the extra couple ounces in my hand.

16. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I've got a Ruger LCP 380 I bought as a back-up, but since have been carrying it as a primary because of its light-weight and accuracy when firing. I had dropped it twice and no mishaps. So the safety aspect covering misfiring is a done deal for me. I usually carry mine in a Remora holster. They will not fall down if worn with beltless shorts.

17. Hawkeye3030

Hawkeye3030 New Member

I have been carrying a LCP as a concealed weapon for two years. I have not had a single problem with it on my waist or on my ankle. Its negligible weight and 380 caliber makes it an ideal carry weapon. I also use a Glock 27,Glock 23,and a Walther PPK as concealed carry weapons. You shouldn't have any problems as long as you have a good holster and keep your finger off the trigger unless you intend to shoot it.good luck!

18. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

For me the LCP is the ideal ankle gun. The J frame butt sticks out far enough to require a wardrobe change, and the P238 is just heavy enough to make me look like I'm doing the cell block strut. The LCP is perfect for me.

19. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

Maybe a LC380?

Do you mean an LC380? Check Here.

20. winds-of-change

I like the Remora holster, too. Cane recommended it to me. If it's good enough for Cane, it's good enough for me. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.