I'm confused. What is this?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by fa35jsf, Apr 27, 2014.

1. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

2. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

It's a belt fed upper. The lower receiver is what decides if it is FA or SA.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

No, it means it will work with a full auto lower or semi auto lower and the barrel is 16+ inches but will not all by itself turn your semi auto lower intoa nfa item.

4. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Nothing on an upper can make your AR fire full auto. A few companies are making uppers with features that are specifically designed to prevent you from firing full auto, such as not making the cut for the auto sear on the receiver, taking some material off the carrier to prevent it from tripping the sear, etc., but if you have a M16 upper on an AR15 lower, you have an AR15. I am a class 7 FFL, and I have to know these things to keep out of trouble with the ATF. This appears to me to be a monolithic upper, but I may be wrong. As far as ARES products go, I used their drop in piston kit several years back, and had no problems with it, however, their other products have always been a bit too pricey for me. If you had a registered F/A lower, and you wanted to make it belt fed, this product may be an option for you. Otherwise, I wouldn't advise it, as it would be a waste of money. Just my .02

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  5. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

yeah, I have a M-4 colt, and you can't even take it apart unless you use a drill and the lower is also designed as a molded unit to prevent a auto sear. Wish I hadn't bought this one.

6. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

At least Colts carry their resale value pretty well. If it bugs you enough, I am sure you can trade it for something you can do what you want with. There are enough high quality AR's out there that just aren't rated as high as Colt that you can play with.

7. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

that looks like a lotta fun!

8. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

Yeah except the part where you have to link all your ammo in a belt that part sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

and your trigger finger would get oh soo tired... anyone say bumpfire time? lol

10. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

Another thing is a loose belt causes problems the ammo can twist in the links causing a jam and if you wanna have any fun at all the belt would be pretty long so unless you have a box for it and a way to mount the box your ammo is gonna be swinging in the wind. Now if you do get a box for it I would recommend fabricating a way to mount it to the weapon similar to the way a 249 box is which would directly impede the mag well. It is a great idea for a fun time but it is poorly executed if I want a belt fed semi auto I would just pony up for one of these http://www.machinegunarmory.com/firearms.html or http://www.armslist.com/posts/2878464/texas-rifles-for-sale--mg42-
    or for real fun one of these http://tnwfirearms.com/complete-guns/semi-auto-m3hb.html

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

I spent a lot of time...5 years... With a m60. If belts are too long over 30 or so rounds the gun cant pull them in reliable when run and gunning and the belt hanging free. A good ag (assistant gunner) will keep the belt straight link on fresh belts as needed change barrels as needed and keep feed stresses ofc the gun while its being run.

If your feeding a belt fed solo use a ammo can or cartridge box to keep the rounds from flopping around.

Using an enclosed box makes running and gunning easier but reload times stupid long.

Belt feds operate smoothly at their best when its a team effort. A good accurate gunner and a good ag who knows how to lube feed and care for the gun under operation is deadly as hell and near unstoppable.

The ares is a fun toy but its a toy not a serious firearm.

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Jon- back in the day, we added a C-ration can to the feed tray- rounded surface for the belt to ride over. B-3 can was preferred.

m60 c rat.jpg

13. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

So uppers that are FA do they have a round cut out near the rear for the sear? ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1398801577.984438.jpg
    Is that what this is?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

The round cutout in the reciever has nothing to do with the sear, but the inside length of the bolt carrier does.

15. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Ok; I just learned something new. All this time that is what I have been told that little cutout was for is for clearance for the sear.:confused:

16. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Yeah and I thought I learned something new there but guess I'm wrong.

So what is that cut out for? It seems there is no reason for it.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

None that i am aware of. A full auto sear is the same width as a ar15/m16 hammer.

[​IMG]

Thats a registered sear behind the hammer. You can see there, its not very wide. There are registered drop in auto sears and ares may be taking into account the various sizes of those contraptions. But an actual m16 auto sear isnt very big

18. kt1982

kt1982 New Member

A cool looking belt fed upper. :cool:

19. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

Looks like a jam prone waste of money.

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

They are troublesome. If your lookng at this you should focus on a ohio ordanance belt fed or a dsa belt fed. They offer actual working semi auto belt feds. OO has a semi m2 browning if your up for that