I'm cheap...

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by DFENS, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DFENS

DFENS New Member

But I'd rather save up and get what I'm ultimately looking for in one go. So here's what I'm looking for...

To start out with, I'd like t I'o get 1 - the cheapest, reliable .22LR handgun I can find, so as to learn to handle a handgun, and 2 - a rifle of same caliber. The pistol, I'm not too picky about cause it'll be re-sold or traded in for a latter handgun.

The rifle, however, I'm thinking I'll hang on to for a while. A life-long while. It'll be for target-shooting only, maybe this or that but not much outside the envelope of the .22LR capabilities. If I need anything bigger it'll be handgun duty. So, what I'm looking for is something that I can just fool around with, work on making as many small holes appear within a single hole as possible, if that makes sense.

Is there much of a difference between bolt-action and semi-auto? I'd prefer a bolt-action, but if the 10/22 is just as accurate as any bolt, then I'd be quite happy to find one.

No hurry on any replies, as it'll likely be a few years before I can afford any goodies. Gotta finish school and hopefully start teaching before I can have any fun-money...

2. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Any quality rifle will last you a lifetime, so I don't think it matters that much. If you like to plink and learn how to shoot, the main thing is you, not the gun.

I generally recommend a Henry rifle. I don't think it is any less of a gun than a bolt action or semi-auto. You can find them for around $200 at Walmart if your local one sells guns.

I use a Browning Buckmark Camper and I might also buy a Ruger Single Six just for fun.

Seems that either of these guns could be purchased with only a little advance planning on your part. They aren't overly expensive, but not cheap throwaways either.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a single six Ruger that is a do all rimfire handgun. CB caps to Mags (with the spare cylinder) for every thing from 8 legged to 4 legged vermin respectively (Yes, Spiders with a .22, I hate spiders)

I also have a Smith and Wesson 22A for semi- auto work. With a cheap BSA red dot sight it will shoot cloverleafs at 25 yards.

Rifle? 10-22. Nuff said.

4. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I have the base model Henry .22 lever gun. I love it. It's extremely accurate and the smoothest action I have ever experienced on a levergun ( and I have Winchesters and a Marlin). The stock is the nicest peice of walnut you'll ever see for $200 or twice that price. I also have a Stainless Bull Barreled Ruger 22/45 that is very reliable and accurate also. Pain in the ass to breakdown and re-assemble though.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, there is TARGET and there is plinking. Have friends that are shooting BR 50, and their rifles are NOT cheap. The SERIOUS target stuff with make a 10-22 look like a shotgun as far as accuracy. However, 10-22s, and Marlin bolt rifles are darned near as accurate as most shooters. I have freely admitted to being addicted to older Mossberg 22s- for around $200-250, you can find a bolt action 44US that will shoot better than you. For more $$, and a rifle that your GRANDKIDS will still be using, get a Marlin 39A lever action.

For handguns in 22 cal, suggest you look at Ruger Mk III, and Browning Buckmark. I have an original Ruger Standard from 1970, could not lift all the 22 ammo it has shot, and is still a good shooter.

Many ranges RENT firearms to use on that range- see if you can find what you like.

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

For a handgun I am assuming you want a semi-auto. For that and Ruger MkII or MkIII would work. But they are not the cheapest. I bought a Beretta Neos for $199 that in my book is dirt cheap as it shoots like a dream. Browning buckmarks are also very good pistol. Like I say below there are a bunch of them out there. But the Ruger MkI, II, III and the Buckmark are the gold standard for 22lr semi-auto pistols. Taurus and Smith would be my bet for a 22lr revolver. Smith tend to be on the spendy side. I had a Smith M17 K-22 masterpiece that would out shoot many rifles.

For the rifle. Look at the Remington 547, CZ 452 or 453 of a Savage. Rugers 77/22 is also a very good rifle. There are plenty of them out there. I have two old Remington 511 rifles both of which will shoot 1' groups at 100 yards which for being 50 + years old is better than many brand new rifle will shoot. Marlin's Golden 39A is a great lever gun if that is what you want. My next 22 rifle will more than likely be the CZ 453 Varminter. topped with a Weaver V-24 6-24x40mm scope. If you really want to best of the best look no further than a Cooper LVT.

You just need to look around go to a gun store in your area and look at the 22lr. If you have a Bass pro or Cabales would be better. I would not buy from them as they are high priced on used and new firearms.

7. fragout

fragout New Member

+1 for Ruger rimfires. A single six is a very versatile piece IMO.
    The nice thing about the 10-22 is the boat loads of extras that are made for it. As you progress into shooting and develop your skills, you can turn the little Ruger into your specific rifle, or leave her as is, and stock up on some ammo while it's still fairly affordable.;)

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Yup you can turn a 10/22 from a ok shooter to a good shooter spend $1000 and it still will not shoot as good as my bolt guns. :p Just never seen the point in buying a 10/22 to turn around and replace the barrel, bolt, trigger, stock.

9. fragout

fragout New Member

There ya have it DEFNS. See if cpttango30 will sell you one of his bolt guns and you should be GTG.;)

Us poor 10-22 owners are stuck with a $1000 bill in the vain attempt to get um to shoot from "ok" to "good":eek:

10. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

You might consider these options:

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/handguns/9 mm/hi_point_9mm.html
    http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/carbines/9mm_carbine/9mm_carbine.html

Both share the same ammo and magazines. They also both carry a lifetime, no questions asked, warranty. Combined retail on the two would be a little over $300.

They're ugly and they feel cheap, but I've got one of their .380 pistols and I've never had it malfunction. It'll put rounds on target at ranges of greater than 25 yards as well. After learning and graduating to bigger and better guns, the cheap Hi-points could be retired to Jeep gun use.

Just my 2 cents.

11. DFENS

DFENS New Member

so...bolt apparently has loads more accuracy than semi.

Those Hi-Points look good, price-ways anyhoo... I might be able to get shooting sooner than I first thought :D

I've almost lusted after the 77/22... but if I'm gonna cough up that much money, wouldn't a different cartridge give me better, longer reach?

The more I think about it, the more "variety" in guns I want to own. Plinker... Target-shooter... home-defence... Its feeling rather addictive. I could see myself in twenty-years' time owning a broad variety of guns, and that doesn't bother me a bit :D

Maybe I'll be lucky enough to learn a bit as I go too.

12. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Just to add to the thought of the 9mm Hipoint combo, take a look at this:
    https://surplusammo.com/index.php?m...id=112&zenid=0ea4765b4fc9575997c14dafbd7e42db

1000 rounds for $180 isn't too much more than you'd pay for .22 LR these days.

13. DFENS

DFENS New Member

Now I'm debating, between the "roadtrip to see girlfriend who's 300+ miles away", "get full leathers for bike", and "get some iron and start launching lead."

*sighs* GF takes first priority, then bike, then guns... but if things don't work out, well, guns get bumped up a few months on the timetable :D

That ammo states "remanufactured"... anything I should be wary of should I ponder purchasing such? I'm hoping to get some reloading gear shortly after getting the first batch of guns (have a friend who might lemme use his, idk, but that's something I'm keeping in consideration if I veer from .22lr

14. headhunter

headhunter Member

I hope they pay teachers considerably better than they do here in the Mid-west. Seriously, I found myself in your shoes in the late '60's. Most of what you're hearin' is good. The .22s are an excellent place to start. Both daughters started there (one a .22 Marlin 880 and the other a Ruger 77-.22) and that's where the grandson is starting (.22 Henry). Starting with better quality firearms, even if they're are a little used is far better than wondering, is it the gun or was the miss caused by me? Spending $10-12 for a carton of .22s is a lot easier than buyin' a case of anything else. I still have my .22 Ruger single six convertable from---.

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

My god man you are messed up. There are plenty of women out there, bikes are not an investment. Guns should be at the top of the list. Bikes will make you go broke and quick. Leathers, Helmets, tires, hop up parts, pipes, bars, plastic (From when you lay it down) paint, chrome, ect....................... We all know women cost way too much money, then you get married and then kids. Man kids really cut into the gun money 10 times more than a wife with a purse and shoe fetish.

With guns you will always have money that is unless you are like me and can't not force yourself to sell guns.

Believe you me the more guns you buy the more you find you need. I need a short range varmint gun, medium range varmint gun, long range varmint gun, target rifles plinkers, deer rifle, deer shotgun, front stuffer, it is unamerican not to own a 30-06 with a 3-9x40mm scope. Then I need a benchrest gun a custom built gun, a turkey shotgun, a skeet shotgun, an upland bird shotgun. Then we get to pistols. I need a plinker, workhorse, a single actions, double action revolvers, a 1911 conversion kit, a bolt action pistol, a ruger charger, I need a 9mm, 40smith, 45acp, 38 super, 357 mag, 41mag, 44mag, 460 smith, 500 smith, 1911 glock, sig, HK, Springfield xd, 1911, Colt woodsman, Hi-Standard, Wather sp22 M3, I need at least a Remington xp-100 in 22-250 ar pistol, suppressed pistol, oh god there are so many. I can't rattle them all off.

You know your a gun nut when you equate the cost of everything to guns and ammo.....

Never fear we are hear to help you on your way to becoming just like most of us.

16. optrixs

optrixs New Member

Hi:
    DFENS If you have any pawn shops near by take a look there.There is nothing wrong looking at older rimfire rifles & pistols.I'm not a big fan of tube fed rifles but the seem to be cheaper where I live SW Oregon and always see
    tube fed rifles for $150.00 or less Ruger 10/22 make a great first 22 rifle!!
    there are many 3rd party items like stocks,triggers and all sort of things some
    are great others are well just not to great.You can always make payments at the pawn dealer they all know me by my first name where I shop :).Yes I have a girl friend and I bought here a 10/22 and she enjoys shooting it.I have a CHRONIC ADDICATION OF FIREARMS.Like says cpttango30 once you get a few then you will start looking at more firearms:):).Do you have any gun shows out your way? check them out also bring about $200.00 and you could pobley walk out with a 22 and some ammo.I like the 22 because you can
    shoot it all day long the price of 500 loose box rounds is less than buying a
    box of centerfire rifle cartridges 308,30.06 .Look at Walmart or Big5sporting
    goods to get a good price for the loose pak boxes of 500cnt of 22 rimfire

Thanks
    Scott Hannah

17. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

If you get a HiPoint Carbine you'll never regret it. They are cheap but incredibly accurate and reliable. My .40 carbine keeps them inside 2" at 50-75 yds with the stock peep sights. They make a 9mm carbine that's exactly the same. They are good for home defense, plinking, and even hunting. Many Police Depts use them.

18. firehammer

firehammer New Member

I have to admit that I am partial to Rugers. I have a P95 in 9mm. & my wife has a Mark IV Anniversary edition with a target barrel & rear adjustable sight. It's a really nice pistol. If your looking for a semi-auto pistol. Like the others have said the single sixes are nice too. As for rifles, I have had a Marlin semi-auto that my fatheer bought me when I was 11 or 12. I'm sure it was fairly inexpensive, because that was the way my father went with us kids. It was a decent shooting rifle though.
    Now I own a 10/22 that I bought 5 or 6 years ago for squirrel hunting & plinking. It does both well. I bought an inexpensive 4x scope w/32mm objective lens & from a steady rest I can put a hole in a hole at 35 yds. & 3 shots within 5/8" at 50 yds. Not bad for an inexpensive rifle & scope.:)

19. bushtucker

bushtucker New Member

roflmao spiders with a .22, i love it!! i dont like spiders either.

20. rab

rab New Member

1911-22?

Chiappa has a nice 1911-22. I have lots of fun with mine. I can't tell much about accuracy. But I can tell you it shoots better than I can do....
    nicky1.jpg

good luck!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.