I'm buying an AR

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by winds-of-change, Apr 7, 2018.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Okay, guys. I'm going to buy an AR. Can you guide me in buying a nice one? I'm not sure what brands are good, which are over priced, etc. I have a very short LOP so I know I want an adjustable stock. How about a scope? What other accessories would be useful? I don't know what I'm doing.

SanchoPanza, hawkguy, bluez and 2 others like this.
  2. sigman84

sigman84 Well-Known Member

What's your price range?

Imurhuckleberry, bluez and Dallas53 like this.

3. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

Mr. Sigman is right. need to set a budget first then start looking at brands in your price range.

for your first AR, i would try to stick with something more basic, for two reasons. one it will allow you to learn the platform, how to field strip it, clean it, and maintain it. and to find out what is right and what is wrong for you personally. second, a more basic AR will usually be at the lower spectrum of your price range and will be just fine for learning the platform.

Colt, Rock River Arms, Stag, Bushmaster, Del-Tron and many others. usually if you stick with the major brands that have been around for a while, you won't go wrong for the most part.

congrats on deciding to buy an AR! good luck!

Balota, Imurhuckleberry and sigman84 like this.
  4. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

A reliable entry level is Delton , a buddy of mine had one and it ran for multiple carbine courses until he shot out the barrel (thats normal for people who do our volume of shooting, I for example shot about 50,000 rounds thru AR15s since 2011)

Another thing I care about is to pick a rifle that has a repuation of being able to run with all ammo.
    Even economy steel.
    Some , few, ARs cant if they chambers are cut on the tight side.... but this is all I shoot for ammo.
    Price difference is about 35% from the better steel case ammo , say Wolf 62gr HP comapred to the better brass ammo say PMC XTac.

Most Delton models can be picked up for maybe 550 USD now

If you want something a step up I think Colt 6920 are about 850 bucks now, used to be 1100 and its still a nice name brand w/ some curb appeal at the range.

Rock River , Stag Arms are well known mid range brands available in a large number of configurations and also good.

In my experience chrome lined barrels really do last longer... than nitrided.. (but nitrided covers entire barrel for all around better rust Resistance on outside of barrel)

I also like Sig516 quite a bit, which even now are still 1300 bucks new.
    You barely have to clean those due to the piston gas system... and you can adjust the gas system depending on how hot (or not) the ammo u shoot is loaded.

BCM is another higher end brand that is well reviewed ( also Daniel defense, LMT, KAC, and some others..but it seems high end rifles have not dropped as much in price as mid range and entry levels

If you are a 1%er for income or close to it, check out LWRC and the like.

5. Imurhuckleberry

Imurhuckleberry Well-Known Member

A great mid range rifle is Rock River Arms, depending on the model you buy they will guarantee a 3/4" or 1 inch MOA accuracy out of the box. Mine does better than the 3/4 MOA accuracy and their 2 stage triggers they come with in my opinion are just as great as the Timney trigger which I have on another AR.

For a great reliable and very functional AR and very basic with out the bells and whistles and all the tactical cool stuff every one wants but really serve no purpose for the non military and LEO shooters I would recommend a Smith and Wesson M&P 15.

As far as scopes go make sure you pay for a decent one that has parallax adjustment or an adjustable objective without this when you try shooting farther than 100 yards you will have a difficult time getting good groups unless you maintain a perfect cheek well all the time.

The last thing or the first thing you need to know is what exactly do you plan to do with this rifle. Is it for plinking, target shooting, hunting or all 3? This will determine how much it weighs and how much you are really to lug around.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Sniper03, bluez and Dallas53 like this.
  6. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I think most are pretty well made these days. Are there any that you would tell her to stay away from?
    And I think you will love your Ar.

Imurhuckleberry and Dallas53 like this.
  7. Dallas53

Mr. Towboater, i can't seem to think of any i'd recommend she stay away from at the moment.

towboater likes this.
  8. winds-of-change

I just want one for plinking, target shooting. I don’t hunt but I would in a SHTF scenario.

My budget. $1,000 or less. I’ll only be buying an AR once so I am willing to spend a bit to get a nice one.

9. Dallas53

$1000 is a decent budget. you can get a really, really nice one for that amount of money. i'd just start hitting the gun stores and gun shows and see what strikes your fancy. then come back here and let us know what you found and maybe we can help steer you in the right direction.

are you wanting to add a scope to the rifle, or just stick with the open sights?

Imurhuckleberry likes this.
  10. winds-of-change

I want a scope. I’m working with an FFL now. A woman I work with is an FFL.

Dallas53 likes this.
  11. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member Supporter

Enjoy the searching, comparing, researching and reading reviews... That's a good part of the fun!

So many good choices out there... Can't wait to hear what you pick

My first was a 16" CMMG AR carbine with A2 front sight and flip up peep sight in rear (gun made in Missouri) and my recent 2nd a Rock River Arms 18" carbine AR with flattop (put a 3x9 scope on it)... Gun made in Illionois

Like 'em both and I have fun adding attachments

- ambi safety
    - ambi charging handle
    - bad lever
    - new grips / foregrips etc

Just fun plinking and target shooting for me too

Enjoy! You can find great shooters within your budget

12. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

I am going to suggest a Colt 6920. It's the AR that all the others are judged by.

SanchoPanza, officerX, alsaqr and 2 others like this.
  13. Dallas53

then look at those that are optics ready. lots to choose from. and there are several scope manufacturers that make AR specific scopes that you can choose from. personally, i'd set it up for a scope, but retain the option to be able to use open sights as well if needed. i had a scope on one of my AR's, and ended up taking it off and giving it to my brother for his AR. i went back to the factory open iron sights, and even with my poor eyesight, i an still hit the target more accurately with them, than i could with the scope attached!

didn't you say your were vertically challenged? the six, or four position adjustable stock might be ideal for you.

14. winds-of-change

Definitely an adjustable stock. I really am a shorty.

15. winds-of-change

Interesting. But aren’t they overpriced just because of the name “Colt” on it?

sigman84 likes this.
  16. MistWolf

MistWolf New Member

No. Colt is the company that figured out how to make the AR run reliably. They have the details, such as gas port diameter, buffer weight & spring rates, down pat. Prices on Colt ARs are better now than they have been for years.

I suggest taking a close look at the Colt 6720. It's very similar as the Colt 6920 with the exception of having a lightweight profile barrel. The 6720 will not only be lighter than the 6920 and other M4 style ARs, but has a center of gravity that's closer to the shooter. The lighter weight and more rearward center of gravity of the 6720 is better for shooters with a smaller stature.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    SanchoPanza and JTJ like this.
  17. Imurhuckleberry

Imurhuckleberry Well-Known Member

The smith and Wesson M&P 15 I bought was about $900. It came with the adjustable stock and this is what I bought for my home defense rifle. It is a light rifle. They have a less expensive rifle that would live you a little wiggle room for a scope and still keep you under budget. The one pictured will be priced lower at a retail store.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15-sport-ii-optics-ready

Dallas53 likes this.
  18. Dallas53

my answer to that would be yes, and no. it's purely subjective, as to the person buying, as to what name is on the side of the rifle, and whether they consider it over-priced.

and MistWolf, maybe Colt did, or didn't figure out how to make the AR15, or the M16 run reliably, but all of those details and information i would hardly suspect them to be huge secrets, since there are are way more AR's made by other manufacturers that run reliably all day long. i hardly think that is simply just luck for that to happen.

so is the Colt AR-15 over-priced? only the person looking to buy an AR who is thinking about the name that is stamped on the firearm can answer that question, and that answer IMO will change from one buyer to the next. at the time when i bought my two Bushmaster AR's, the Colt AR equivalents were running about $200 to #350 more for a similar AR. now to me to just have the privilege of carrying the Colt name on the sides of the rifles didn't justify that difference in price.

19. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

If your total budget is 1k I would suggest a $700 rifle.
    Why?
    Because you want to buy a magazines, a case of .223/5.56 and a training course to support your rifle

Here is an example of a quality training provider that is reasonably priced.
    https://www.green-ops.com/carbine-rifle-training-courses/
    Tactical rifles are in a class of thier own on what they can do from a defensive standpoint.
    if you are buying one might as well learn how to use it.

So if your total budget is 1k dont spend it all on the rifle.
    But if your budget for the rifle itself is 1k and you have a little extra for the rest you can find some pretty nice rifles for 1 k.

https://www.botach.com/springfield-saint-5-56-rifles/

One of the very few rifles at this price point with a cold hammer forged barrel:
    https://www.cdnnsports.com/ruger-ar556-5-56-carbine.html?___SID=U#.WsoKMi7waM8

Nice and affordable Delton w/ life time warranty
    https://www.cdnnsports.com/delton-ar15-echo-316-556-nato-b5-system.html?___SID=U#.WsoKYi7waM8

This one is from the factory with the every popular Quadrail:
    https://www.cdnnsports.com/smith-wesson-m-p15t-556-tactical.html?___SID=U#.WsoKpC7waM8

This is a very modern configured rifle.. w/o sights but ther flat gasblock in front which is nice for those who put a popular red dot on them..
    Also has the modern Keymod rail:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/armalite-m15-16-5-56-light-tactical-carbine.html?___SID=U#.WsoK5C7waM8

Here is one w/ Magpul furniture on it:
    https://www.cdnnsports.com/smith-wesson-m-p15-moe-mid-5-56-fde.html?___SID=U#.WsoKki7waM8

These are just examples.. I gotta run to buy an AR upper now from a guy :D

Imurhuckleberry, JTJ and Shopfox like this.
  20. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

No, not overpriced. It is a good rifle. They are in the $900 range. You can get the Colt Expanse, their entry level rifle, under $700.

I do not own a Colt, nor a Glock, nor an I Phone for that matter, but they are what others of their ire are based on, is it better or not as good as the Colt/Glock/I Phone?

I am not really a fan of the platform, learned to hate them when Uncle Sam issued me one. Had one jam when I needed it to work, and break in two when I needed to use it for something other than a rifle. Thankfully both times during training, not when my life was on the line. Plus as an armorer in the reserves, I got to fix the ones that were broke. I stayed busy. I would prefer an AK74 if it absolutely had to work.

But they are accurate, and what they are subject to in the civilian world is not near what a 19 year old Marine will subject them to. ( This is a good place to insert: The AR-15 (MSR-15) is a completely different animal than the M-16) My first AR-15, sold to me by Barack Obama, was purchased just because I still could. It was an entry level DPMS. Paid about $750 for it. The same rifle today can be had for $500 or less. Today DPMS would not recognize it, the only thing still factory being the reciever.

All my MSR's are true Frankenguns, being a hodgepodge of Aero Precision, CMMG, Bravo Company Machine, J P Enterprises, Magpul, Satern, Advanced Armament Corp, Daniel Defense and others. My point is, if you are inclined, build you one. You will probably modify it to make it uniquely yours anyway. And it doesn't take much to make an entry level rifle cost as much as a mid level or even a premium build. Plus by putting one together, you will have intimate knowledge of what makes them work.

IMHO, if you are not going to build, and you want more than just an entry level rifle, take a look at Daniel Defense. Not the cheapest one out there, but a true premium rifle. And to answer my earlier question, Yes, they are better than a Colt 6920. But you will have to double your budget.

bluez and Dallas53 like this.