I'm beginning to hate gunshows...

Discussion in 'Hi Power Firearms' started by trigger643, Jul 13, 2014.

1. trigger643

trigger643 New Member

I was at the Pasadena Texas gunshow yesterday. All the prices are crazy-stupid. Who's going to pay $1,300 for a model 19-3 with 70% bluing and the wrong grips? Heck, who'd pay that for one 99%? Not I.

I come across a table where a guy is trying to sell the smug table holder a pistol.
    "I'm sorry, these civilian models just aren't bringing what they used to."
    "I can't make any money at that price."
    "It's got condition problems."
    "When you come to your senses, come see me , my offer is good all day."

The guy walks off and I follow him. "Excuse me, what are you trying to get out of that?"

"$500.00."

I can't remember why I went to the show.

It certainly wasn't to bring this beat up, ragged out, overpriced POS home with me. I know I paid too much. It only had one mag and no pouch. As you can plainly see, it's condition issues are insurmountable. Maybe I can recoup part of what I paid by breaking it down for parts.

Perhaps the $1,800 for that refinished Chinese import Inglis HP with the aftermarket grips and repro stock on the table would have been a better investment...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  2. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

The only reason I go to gun shows now is to buy a can or two of GA Arms ammo, kill time eating spicy beef jerky, and maybe bring my friend lunch and sell a couple guns at his booth. A reasonably priced anything is difficult to come by.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

And here I was starting to like you.......

NICE Hi Power!!! The problem with the "condition" was that the dealer wanted more than a 100% profit when reselling.

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Nice score.

There is very well kept target model for sale on consignment near me, first list price was $900, it was down to $850 yesterday.

5. R1D2

R1D2 New Member

I like the pistol! But not the price. Sell it whole it would be sad to see it go in parts. Have you shot it yet?

I'll BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR!!

6. trigger643

trigger643 New Member

Nothing a high speed abrasive polishing wheel and a dose of woodland green duracoat can't fix.

Don't have time to get it out to the range this weekend. Maybe next weekend with a couple of other 9mm clunkers I have.

[​IMG]

7. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

around her gun shows are nothing more than an army navy surplus swap meet,if you are looking for some bdus or some load bearing bags then you should find what you are looking for.

8. c3shooter

Yeah- if you need to stock up on beef jerky, costume jewelry, and Death from Above T-shirts, you have to go to the show.

I have this thing about older Mossberg 22's. The last 15 shows I have been to- I have more vintage Mossys that all 15 shows combined. Last show I attended, the total of my purchases was 2 collector's cartridges and an AR-15 chamber brush. Do my shopping on line, or cruising the LGS/ pawn shop circuit.

9. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

Gun shows in my area are getting to be re-runs it is the same show it was 3 or 4 years ago, same exhibitors, same booths, same guns, selling the same accessories, the only change has been the prices.:eek:
    It is getting to be a profiteers competition to see who can get the most $$$ from the lowest quality junk. :mad:

10. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Just wait till you get some Hogue grips on those clunkers.

It's better than sex.

11. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

I like gun shows for ammo in bulk.

Often what you are getting is military surplus pilfered off a base.

It's good stuff though. And cheap.

12. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I'm not that old yet. :p

But I do have Hogue grips on my klunker 9mms, except my, gasp, Glocks. Yep plural.

13. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I find better deals on ammo on line or Wally World than gun shows.

14. c3shooter

I dunno- Just got back from one of my LGS's, where I bought a partial box of 7.62 NATO. 15 rounds. Paid them $20 for it.

Older gent had brought in a truckload of firearms and ammo. National Match 7.62. Palma Match 30-06. 20 round boxes of 45 ACP Tracer. Sealed cans of .30 carbine tracer.

Oh- what was the stuff I bought? Green tip 7.62. Which is NOT the same as green tip 5.56. This was the experimental Duplex round. 2 bullets in one cartridge case. Doubled the rate of fire of machine guns. Purely a collector's item. Last time I saw any of it, it was $27 per cartridge.

If y'all will excuse me, I got to go ice down my wrist. I think I sprained it reaching for my wallet. :p

This is what they look like inside- the ones on the left with the green tip.

duplx.jpg

15. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Top 10 Reasons to Go to Gun Shows

Many private vendors are guys with a lot of time on their hands. They try to charge ridiculous prices because they are in no hurry to sell. Ever seen a dude who acts like he'd rather keep his merchandise?

Some of their hopes are for buyers who will pay premium because they would not, or cannot, buy from an FFL.

16. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Last gun show I went to I had one of my nicer guns with me, a vendor asked

how much, I told him, and he got this expression on his face like he just

swallowed a terd. His junky crap was twice the price, and half the condition

of what I had, though.

17. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Lot of these types of gun dealers think they can make money off the rubes that come there looking for guns as if they are finding a deal. I go when I need ammo or accessories. I do not go there to buy guns. Once in a little while I will find a real deal and the stars align.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

18. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Haven't been to a gun show in years.
    Living here in calif.
    Used to go to the Big Pomona gun show twice a year.
    But because of the politicians and the laws the show started declining before it was shut down.
    Last gun show I went to a bunch of years ago,
    My friends had to drag me out as I almost went over a table to get this guy.
    all I wanted to do was educate him a little.
    I have a small cartridge collection and I was always on the lookout for a cartridge from the "Dum Dum" arsenal in India.
    I asked this puke if he had one,
    he turned to his buddy and they started snickering and looked at me and shook their heads.
    Oh well.

19. Mongo

Mongo Active Member Supporter

At the last gunshow, I traded a nice yugo SKS in original condition and $150 for a Ruger Scout with both mags and scope rings. In near new condition. The guy with the Ruger approached me so I traded without any guilt. He was happy too.

20. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

The only reason I am enticed to go to a local show are the Private sales.

Sent from my iPhone using CC Firearms Talk