I'm back — need advice on oxidized fingerprints on blade

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by wahooknifemaker, Nov 23, 2013.

1. wahooknifemaker

wahooknifemaker New Member

Howdy folks,
    It's great to be back.
    I was a supporting member, advertised my handmade knives, sold to various members and got wonderful reviews. I still make custom, handmade knives using excellent steel and the best flintknapped obsidian blades with elk and deer antler handles.
    One thing — my skills, techniques and materials are quite a bit better. I need your help, however, on a valuable knife. My National Living Treasures Series knife made by Jim Fisk, the OVB (Our Very Best) Fisk Southwest Bowie from Camillus, has oxidized fingerprints on its blade. The 11-inch blade is fabricated from 0170-6C Carbon Steel.
    I've searched how to safely restore the blade, but not found the best answer. Lime juice, cut an onion, CLR, metal polish — what works? I tried good gun oil and buffing, and tested oil and .0000 steel wool, which will damage the finish. The knife is one of only 750 pieces, and worth a pretty penny, without the dark finger prints.
    What should I do? It was displayed on a wall in my office, and apparently people examined it without my knowledge. Incidentally, the fabulous leather sheath, black zipper case and original fancy, black box are in mint condition. I'd like to sell it (been off work on medical leave without pay.) Its Desert Ironwood handle is beautiful.
    Whoever provides the best answer most promptly is certainly welcome to a significant discount on one of my handmade knives with choice of blade and antler handle. Thank you so very much for your help in advance. I look forward to hearing from you
    Randy Porter
    Cell: 402-304-1422
    P.S. There's one listed on eBay for $375.

Attached Files:

2. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

Just a thought, have you tried applying a very very non abrasive (pink) rouge on a buffer? The trick is to not let the friction get the blade hot.

3. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

I always had good luck with nevr-dull wadding polish.

4. wahooknifemaker

Hi,
    Thanks, Fernando,
    That's the first thing I tried. I always use it to clean finger prints and smudges from blades on the knives I'm finishing.
    I then apply Renaissance Wax Polish. It showed black on the wadding as if I rubbed it on brass, but never touched the finger prints. I'll use it again after the black finger prints are removed and I put a finer polish on the blade.
    Take care,
    Randy

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  5. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Have you tried contacting Camillus directly? I would imagine this would not be the first time something like this has happened. I would contact them and see if they can repair it. You might even get them to do it under warranty as the finish "failed".

6. wahooknifemaker

Hi kimberFan,
    Great idea.
    I'll see if I can get the right amount, and the right kind, of rouge. Might let my jeweler do it — not sure.
    Gonna wait for a couple of more ideas, first, if that's OK.
    Take care,
    Randy

7. wahooknifemaker

Thanks, Vikingdad,
    Why didn't I think of that?
    I'll Google for contact information. I'll let you know what they say.
    Under warranty is a great "price," but I'd hate to pay big time.
    Take care,
    Randy

8. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Thumb print..................

Try this on a similar steel first, spit and ordinary wood ashes. I have a can of that cotton polishing stuff, it's to gritty. Some tooth paste might work. But try these out on something else first......Good luck...........

9. wahooknifemaker

Cool willshoum,
    I've got the spit.
    Have to search out some fresh wood ashes. Never thought of toothpaste.
    That'd be easy, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't further damage the blade. I'll let you know how it works. Not sure I have another steel blank of this grade, but I can try it on a little spot where it would be almost impossible to find.
    Take care,
    Randy

10. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Remember that wood ashes are alkaline and can cause other problems. I would be careful of using wood ash. If you think about it a steel or iron wood stove left with wood ash in it out in the rain will rust away quickly, whereas if you clean the ash out it won't rust nearly as fast. Depending on the wood burned it can be almost like a lye solution (which I think will tend to blacken steel).

11. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Why would you expect Camillus to repair the blade? Nothing "failed," except your properly oiling the blade. Regardless, they are no longer in business.
    If you can show us a good close-up of the blade and the finger print, I can probably tell you how to clean it, as I restore knives professionally.
    If you aren't sure what to do, do nothing-as you will probably make it worse.

12. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Spit polish..............

Yep, ashes and water will make it corode in the long term. But if it works without futher damage to the finish, simple soap and warm water will remove the lye. Then a light coat of oil. And put some of those packets of oxygen eaters in the case with the knife.............:)

13. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Try Kleenbore lead cloth.

14. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Buy out the store.............

Try the home remedys first, or sell the knife as is...................A thumb print is only worth the price of going to jail or prison..........:eek::);)

15. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

16. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

In name only. The factory closed and all assets were sold off.

17. wahooknifemaker

Wow, you guys rule!

Gee,
    When it comes to a fellowship of gun and knife enthusiasts, there is none finer than FirearmsTalk.
    I asked for some help from its members because of my previous experience with them, and they certainly did not let me down. In less than 24 hours, more than a dozen replied.
    With rigorous honesty, yet courtesy, they even express disagreement or question the ideas and suggestions of fellow members. They agree to disagree. Will all those who replied to help me with my finger prints problem on an expensive knife blade hang on for a few days so I may consider each idea?
    I hope others will continue to suggest answers. I'll post a high resolution photo of the knife with a close up of the finger prints on the blade. I'll try to get the lighting just right. I'm no genius, but at least I was smart enough to contact members before I did something that rendered the knife worthless.
    In fact, in just the right light, you can see where I tried the .0000 steel wool with fine gun oil — the blade's surface is scratched. Can that be buffed or polished out? Well, I certainly want to somehow return the consideration each of you who unselfishly volunteered to help another guy because he's part of the forum. I'm just a working class dude whose off his job without pay for medical reasons, so my resources are limited. Maybe we can have a drawing for one of my small flintkapped blade handmade knives — or something.
    Money, I don't have, but my inventory of quality steel and knapped blades, and finished antler handles is more than adequate.
    Thanks very much, and talk to you soon,
    Randy
    P.S. Seems like the components to even make little knives — good ones — are at least $50 - $75, but I forgot for a moment, you guys know as much, or more, about the costs of blade and handle materials as me.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  18. wahooknifemaker

photos fingerprints on Fisk bowie

Hi guys,
    Here's photos of each side of the blade with oxidized fingerprints on my OVB Fisk Southwest Bowie.
    Tough to get the lighting just right. Look forward to hearing from you.
    Thanks,
    Randy
    Cell: 402-304-1422
    P.S. If anyone's interested, I'm thinking to sell for about $325 including shipping for Supporting Members. I guess if I don't have to fix the fingerprints I could do $300. Should be worth $370, shouldn't it? Let me know how close I am.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  19. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Seeing as it is not a mirror finish I would think that as long as you maintained the right orientation on your strokes you should be able to buff it clean again.

I would still try to contact Camillius, whatever their situation is. They might have some solutions.

20. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

I would try vertical strokes with a grey Scotchbrite pad. If the finish is too shiny, go over it with maroon Scotchbrite. If that doesn't work, let a pro do it.